Sony to Create a "Universe" of Robin Hood Movies

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Merry Men, facing the evil of the Sherif of Nottingham in a massive crossover event...

...yeah, I don't see this ending well.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Vin Diesel rebooting the Underworld?

Oh gods this is going to be so cheesy... I can't wait to see it

Dan of Hats

Aug 18, 2014
OK, I'm confused. Why do they think, of all the ideas out there, that Robin Hood is the setting to base a shared universe of films around? Part of the reason it worked so well in Marvel, beyond the effort made to find good actors to inhabit the roles, good directors to make the films etc., was because each of the main characters were very different and had a unique set of skills, experiences and talents that wildly differed from each of the others. Beyond maybe one trait, two at most, what separates the characters of Robin Hood from one another? Robin is good with a bow, Little John is pretty strong (relative to other, mundane people anyway), Friar Tuck...I guess could read or something? Will Scarlet...crap, what WAS Will Scarlet's thing, being a pretty-boy?

None of these characters alone really have the kind of strong, clearly distinguishable traits need to build a solo movie around, without drastically changing up their characters to such a massive degree that they'll likely only resemble those characters by their names and a few key points in their backgrounds. Now what I could see more sense in (although still a terrible idea) would be to do a shared-universe series of films with classic characters from stories around the world, like Sinbad, Odysseus and indeed Robin Hood, all of whom might wind up finding that they share some common goal or enemy hinted at throughout the films that requires them to join forces. Those characters are all have a very different flavour while still sharing a few common themes, and thus they could draw upon a much wider pool of ideas and influences to make it more than a bunch of grubby Englishmen hanging out in a wood for however many films they want to spin it out over.

At this rate, we'll be getting an Ocean's 11 reboot, with 11 separate movies to build each of the characters before going on the damn heist.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Dead Metal said:
Weresquirrel said:
I'm legitimately curious... Has this "follow the leader" business model ever actually worked? I mean, if it has, why am I straining to think of even one example? And if it hasn't, why the hell are companies still doing this?
Yes, the whole comic book industry is based on that, then there is the first emergence of Superhero comics that copied Superman, then in the 60s when the Silver Age started, Marvel built its whole business model around bringing back superheroes after DC comics did.

The movie Alien was made because Star Wars proved that realistic looking sci-fie could be done, the Japanese giant monster movie genre started out because every studio was copying the first Godzilla.

Transformers started out because the Go-Bots had success. Then there is every single comic company that copied Marvel Comic's attention to continuity in establishing a shared universe for their characters.
Fair enough. Admittedly I hadn't considered the comic book industry (not my area of expertise), and the Kaiju movies slipped my mind.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
It is simple really.
You take all DVDs and compress them to the point time and space don't even exist there.
Then hopefully a new Big Bang will occur and result in new universe
You're welcome.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
They really are scrapping the bottom of their barrel of adaptations here, right?

I am curious. Is any of the other character known in any way other than just as Robin Hood's pals? Does any of them has a legend behind themselves before or after Robin? This is not like they are trying to make a new "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (by the way, get to work into that, it sounds like a better idea than this crap), this is more in line with the Sinister Six line of movies...

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I think Graham Chapman summarized my opinion on the latest news about the whole aping the cinematic universe thing quite well. A couple decades before I was born. Anyway.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Oh great, I suppose Friar Tuck is going to be another muscle bound ass-kicking martial artist?

Please no, just no, or I'll have to yet again rinse my eyes out by watching the Errol Flynn classic and rewatching all 143 episodes of...

this thing

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Terrible idea. Why is building a universe a thing now? Robin Hood isnt that popular anyway, even English people dont really care all that much about him.

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
hermes200 said:
They really are scrapping the bottom of their barrel of adaptations here, right?

I am curious. Is any of the other character known in any way other than just as Robin Hood's pals? Does any of them has a legend behind themselves before or after Robin? This is not like they are trying to make a new "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (by the way, get to work into that, it sounds like a better idea than this crap), this is more in line with the Sinister Six line of movies...
I think it's mostly because Robbin Hood is public domain. They could go with some book series, but they'd have to pay royalties and licensing fees. Robin Hood is something pretty much everyone is familiar with, where as even something like Ender's Game doesn't have universal recognition.

Also, Robin Hood is a grounded story. Medieval, but not fantasy. Which cuts back a lot on big fancy CGI that a sci-fi, fantasy, or superhero series would demand.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
They're rebooting Underworld... why? They were so freaking bland.

Also, this is a stupid idea but everyone knew that.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
This whole "cinematic universe" concept is gonna ruin cinema for a while, isn't it?
I can't believe I'm about to say it, but DAMMIT MARVEL! Look what you've done!

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Ratty said:
Can't wait for "Friar Tuck: The Beginning" and "Little John: Origins".

Seriously though I grew up with http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10148 Men in Tights and Disney's version. And I still love them all. If this turned out to be good I'd be happy about it. But once you start calling medieval Britain "the Robin Hood universe" I start to become skeptical.
Yup, if they include Men in Tights, I am quite willing to see it just for the quirkiness.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dalrien said:
Why does everyone think it's a good idea to create a connected universe of movies like marvel did?

Just following the bandwagon, I suppose.
I think they've learned all the wrong lessons from marvel. If franchises are bad for story telling (because they don't end) then a shared universe of interconnected universes is even worse. Stark will never control his alcohol problem. Hulk will never control his anger. There will be no good character development. We don't need this in other films. They're already doing this with star wars. Let it die with marvel.

Not before I get my downfall of numenor movie though.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
JMac85 said:
hermes200 said:

I think it's mostly because Robbin Hood is public domain. They could go with some book series, but they'd have to pay royalties and licensing fees. Robin Hood is something pretty much everyone is familiar with, where as even something like Ender's Game doesn't have universal recognition.

Also, Robin Hood is a grounded story. Medieval, but not fantasy. Which cuts back a lot on big fancy CGI that a sci-fi, fantasy, or superhero series would demand.
Yeah... so is Oz, but I doubt many people would be interested in a movie about the adventures of the Wicked Witch of the West.

I get your point, I just think its kind of an overkill to try to use secondary or tertiary characters to create a cinematic universe. Like it or not, B-list in Marvel were still relevant enough to get their own line of comics at some point. These are not fleshed out characters... I mostly remember Will Scarlet for the knives joke in Men in Tights.

I guess my problem with turning this into a "universe" is that none of those characters had any adventures of their own. As far as I am aware, they are solely known for being recruited by Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I believe a lot more characters (even within public domain) could be more suitable. Heck, they could made up a universe based around public domain protagonists meeting up (like comics did with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Fables), and it would be a more interesting premise. Make it a universe where Don Quixote, Cyrano de Bergerac and Horacio share adventures with Robin Hood and I would be more interested than a whole movie about Little John.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
blackrave said:
It is simple really.
You take all DVDs and compress them to the point time and space don't even exist there.
Then hopefully a new Big Bang will occur and result in new universe
You're welcome.
Yeah, but then you have to deal with some spiky haired emo git coming along and unintentionally setting the whole thing into motion again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stephen Lawhead sort of did it, so I could see it working to some extent. But still, ehhhhh?

VoltySquirrel said:
Can't wait for someone to comment that MovieBob is being unfair to the idea and that he's bringing his Spidered-Man bias into this.
Considering how much of a stretch he had to make, the point you "can't wait for" isn't particularly, you know, invalid. Though at least he's walked himself back from claiming it to be a commercial failure because he didn't like it.

Of course, I'm only bringing it up because you brought it up, so...self-fulfilling prophecy?

PunkRex said:
They're rebooting Underworld... why? They were so freaking bland.
It doesn't look like it's a reboot, but a successor. FFS, the last I saw, its subtitle was "The Next Generation." I wonder if the entertainment "news" would consider Star Trek: TNG to be a reboot. I mean, I was never a fan of the show, but as a reboot, it's even worse. Beverly Crusher is Bones? Will the SJWs never stop?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
How does that even work? The Avengers worked because it starred all people that were capable of carrying their own movie.
How would they do that with Robin Hood?
Maid Marrion first appears in a costume drama?
CSI 900 AD with the Sheriff Of Nothingham?
Friar Tuck's Passion Of The Grape?

The whole problem is that in the original story everything is about the character of Robin Hood himself. All the people around him are just bit players, minor people that have hardly any impact on the story and could never carry a story on their own.

This is just mad nonsense.