Sony to Nintendo: Leave Our 3D Glasses Alone!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm with Nintendo on this one, all the glasses do is make viewing uncomfortable, sometime inducing headaches.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
As long as Sony continues with Kevin Butler's ad campaign, they are in no place to complain about anyone bashing their implementation of anything.

Even their E3 press conference was full of little jabs, mostly aimed at Microsoft but some at Nintendo as well (especially if you count statements that effectively denied their existence -- no Sony, you don't have "the only current-gen console with built-in Wi-Fi").

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
deth2munkies said:
lol Sony. How about improving your technology so nobody has to wear the damn glasses, eh?
The tech that Nintendo is using only works on small screens like phones and.. well the 3DS ;D
Sony are marketing more towards having 3D on big chunky TV screens, which need glasses.

They're separate areas really, 2 different types of 3D. I'm more for the no-glasses approach but for the time being I'll take what we've got on Sony's side. Well... if the 3D TV's didn't cost so much anyway.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
I'm sorry, WHAT BASHING?!? Nintendo is just stating the obvious point that the 3DS doesn't need 3D glasses, they aren't saying "Ya, you don't have to wear those glasses like Sony that make you look like a freaking idiot, I mean have you seen those things? Man Sony the hell?!?" You see? There's a huge difference between bashing and stating a FACT

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'm sure when Nintendo bragged about the 3DS's glasseslessness(it is a word now) they did not mean to rack down on Sony's glasses. The fact is that 3D has always required glasses, this is not something unique to Sony's product. Nintendo was simply stating that the 3DS's technology was superior to that of traditional 3D, not necessarily that it was better than Sony's.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
tkioz said:
Glasses are 90% of the reason I detest 3D, the other 10% is split up between the headache it gives me, it's general gimickness (sp?), and several other minor issues.
Headaches are bad, of course. But I can't agree with calling it a gimmick. I would hate not having stereoscopic 3D vision in my day to day life, so how could I consider 3D vision in games a gimmick?

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Dexiro said:
deth2munkies said:
lol Sony. How about improving your technology so nobody has to wear the damn glasses, eh?
The tech that Nintendo is using only works on small screens like phones and.. well the 3DS ;D
Sony are marketing more towards having 3D on big chunky TV screens, which need glasses.

They're separate areas really, 2 different types of 3D. I'm more for the no-glasses approach but for the time being I'll take what we've got on Sony's side. Well... if the 3D TV's didn't cost so much anyway.
I'm well aware of that, but I don't think many people would be in a market for a home television that you had to use glasses to watch. I mean I lose the remote enough already! Fuck the version of 3-D they have now, work towards a better version instead of hopping on board with the gimmick. Nintendo is doing that with the 3DS, while Sony is just riding the fads.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
As much as I love MAH PS3, I'm a 100% with Nintendo on this. So Sony, whenever you come up with an idea to make my gaming experience better that doesn't involve me having to buy a 5000? TV and suffering of horrible headaches, we'll talk.

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
You kind of forget you're wearing them? No, sir, that's bullshit. I don't forget when I'm wearing a second pair of glasses over my own, even when I was watching the miraculous Toy Story 3, because they're so damn annoying.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
I bet if sony had the better 3d technology they would be the last one talking about working together to promote it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well... Sony are happy to bash Microsoft over Kinect, yet they want Nintendo do stop bashing they're products?

Face it - bashing competition is a common marketing strategy, and Nintendo really don't need Sony in helping them sell the 3DS - by making other products look bad, Nintendo's own product will sell better.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
SuperMse said:
Sorry Sony, but I really don't see how glasses beats no more glasses [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j034Fcn7fLY]. Why should Nintendo not advertise one of the biggest selling points of their handheld?
Totally. One of the mains reasons I refuse to go see 3D films is the annoyance of the glasses, so there's no way I'm going to wear them when gaming at home. I think Nintendo have the right to boast about their amazing new technology

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'm with Nintendo on this one. As someone who wears glasses, the combination of that and 3D glasses always gives me a terrible headache, rendering me unable to enjoy the experience. Hopefully, the glasses-free approach will take that away.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Tarakos said:
NOT rob them blind (3DS at around $300 I think)
I was gonna stay out of this thread, but this statement blew me away.

Three hundred dollars. For a fucking handheld!?

Clue me in to where I'm not being robbed blind.

The PSPGo was $250 and the internet (this site and it's members included) deep fried them for their business move.

Now you're going to support a three hundred dollar handheld because of some gimmick...

Way to go internet, you've reaffirmed the failure of the fanboy.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Xzi said:
Why shouldn't Nintendo promote glasses-free 3D? It's the only way to deliver 3D that I'm interested in since I already wear glasses, and having another pair on top is freaking annoying. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.

More Sony bitching, what a surprise. Why on earth would Nintendo promote a competitor's products? I don't remember Sony saying, "motion-controls are great" when the Wii came out, but look what's happened now. If Sony's 3DTVs are a good enough technology, eventually everyone will be on board. But I don't see it happening.
QFT

3D glasses are incredibly aggravating to wear, and any steps taken to remove the glasses requirement are going in the right direction.

Ravek said:
Anti-Robot Man said:
Anyway 3D is a fad it won't last, it won't take off with the mainstream consumer base.
3D is taking off in the mainstream cinema, because it provides for a lot more impressive and immersive experience.

Why do you think this isn't true for games? What makes you think it's a fad at all?
3D is taking off in mainstream cinema because it's the only way to justify the existence of aforementioned cinemas. Huge HDTVs are becoming more and more common, enough so that the people who predominantly used to go to the theater have a significantly cheaper (on an instant basis, I don't feel like doing the math to work out how the price of the TV compares) and easier option for the exact same thing. 3D is a gimmick and a fad. Whether or not it fades in the near future is up for debate, but it is certainly true that its presence in theaters is less because of the viability of the technology than because of the theaters making a desperate grab for relevance.

Personally, I can't see 3D actually really taking off until we reach a point of actual VR viability. As it is now, it's unwieldy and used almost universally poorly. Until it reaches the point where it can almost literally take you into whatever you're watching, I can't see it holding a significant portion of the market for very long.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
3d has always hurt my eyes, so I really do not care. Lol @ Sony for crying because Nintendo is picking on them.

Am I the only one seeing this like Nintendo is the school bully, and sony is the kinda weird looking kid who's trying to become the bully's friend so they don't get picked on anymore?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
FloodOne said:
To be fair, compared to every other form of 3D entertainment out there, that's a steal.

I'm almost certainly not going to be buying one, though I might if/when the price hits the $100-150 range, but it is fairly cheap for the tech it uses.