Sony Trademarks "PlayStation Arc" in Japan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Trademarks "PlayStation Arc" in Japan

It seems that the development codename for Sony's motion controller might not be a development codename after all.

Both Sony and Microsoft unveiled their respective motion controllers last year at E3, but while we've had a handy name to use when talking about Microsoft's magical camera for almost a year now, we haven't had anything quite so convenient for Sony's offering. What do we call it? Arc? Gem? Plastic ping-pong ball on a stick?

As it turns out, now it might have a name, and it's not exactly shiny and new: If you've been wondering what to call the Arc, wonder no longer, because you'll probably be officially calling it the ... Arc.

Well, that was boring.

This comes from a trademark Sony filed in Japan registering the PlayStation Arc [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/01/a-playstation-arc-trademark-wonder-what-thats-for/], a week before the device is expected to make an appearance at GDC '10.

It's true that the existence of a trademark doesn't make this a 100% sure thing, but it makes the odds significantly better that Sony has gone with Arc over the more outrageous "Gem". Personally, though, I find it hard to get excited over "Arc" when Sony also registered a trademark for Hitsuji Boueigun, which apparently translates to "Sheep Defense Force."

Does that sound like a GOTY to you or what?!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
super psyched about Hitsuji Boueigun, still no interest in the arc.

can wait for more details (about Hitsuji Boueigun)

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Apparently the blob on a stick isn't the final model, it seems kinda silly. I think the light was used to show the audience a bit more clearly where the stick was. Although I don't care much for what it looks like.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
At first when I saw that picture, I thought it was some sort of vibrator.

Anywho... why are all the developers making games with motion control? When are they going to understand that it gets extremely boring and isn't what people play games for? Well, its not what I play games for and I know plenty of people who agree with me

Its like what Yahtzee said, people play games to unwind and you don't unwind by flailing your arms around.

The only time I've ever liked motion control is on the PS3's sixaxis on Heavy Rain.

That was fun. Makes you feel like you're actually, you know, controlling it. So immersive.

I gotta go play that again.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Jaredin said:
I still think it is going to be a gimmick...
Why would having an official name change that.

OT: well, it's better then "natal", but it's still a really bad name.

Not that that's stopped the wii or anything.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
I'm still unsure how Gem was outrageous ... it sounded kinda girly to me

Although i thought Arc was a trademarked Microsoft Mouse ... Huh...

I don't know what to make of these motion controllers, maybe i'll hid in a hole until the craze ends

[small]... it's never going to end is it?._.[/small]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
John Funk said:
It's true that the existence of a trademark doesn't make this a 100% sure thing, but it makes the odds significantly better that Infinity Ward has gone with Arc over the more outrageous "Gem".
What does IW have to do with it?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sheep Defense Force? I would fucking play that for hours on end, no kidding.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
thenumberthirteen said:
John Funk said:
It's true that the existence of a trademark doesn't make this a 100% sure thing, but it makes the odds significantly better that Infinity Ward has gone with Arc over the more outrageous "Gem".
Whoops. IW on the mind today.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
John Funk said:
thenumberthirteen said:
John Funk said:
I wonder why *rolls eyes*. Makes for quite tense news though :D

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
John Funk said:
thenumberthirteen said:
John Funk said:
I have no idea what you're Portaling about.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
This is probably the only motion controller I would buy other than the Wii. But still, Arc?

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
mikecoulter said:
This is probably the only motion controller I would buy other than the Wii. But still, Arc?
Betting on the arc being for some rubbish ad campaign.