Sony Trademarks "PlayStation Arc" in Japan

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Well, that was boring.
And the name "Natal" is exciting somehow? At least "Natal [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arc]" is a descriptor of birth, i.e. somethign still in development.

To me, Natal's name evokes typical pay-for-the-Beta MS fodder. In the case of the Arc, making light of what turns out to be a superbly appropriate name for the device and its intent seems like the boring move.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SaintWaldo said:
John Funk said:
Well, that was boring.
And the name "Natal" is exciting somehow? At least "Natal [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arc]" is a descriptor of birth, i.e. somethign still in development.

To me, Natal's name evokes typical pay-for-the-Beta MS fodder. In the case of the Arc, making light of what turns out to be a superbly appropriate name for the device and its intent seems like the boring move.
As in, it's a name we've already heard before. If Natal's real name (since it's the codename as far as we know) turns out to be Natal, it'll be equally boring.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
John Funk said:
As in, it's a name we've already heard before. If Natal's real name (since it's the codename as far as we know) turns out to be Natal, it'll be equally boring.
Wet blanketing Sony announcements on Escapist: we've already heard it before.

I'll be watching for the Natal dousing.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
John Funk said:
Sony also registered a trademark for Hitsuji Boueigun, which apparently translates to "Sheep Defense Force."

Does that sound like a GOTY to you or what?!Permalink
I would've said Little Big Planet didn't sound like GOTY for a good long time after it was announced...in fact I'm still scratching my head over that one...but maybe I just don't get LBP...So who knows...we could be turfing Sheep at each other for years to come...

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Guide the Sheep Defence Force as they take over from the G-force after they botched up a mission. Use the all new and exiting Playstation Arc to sheer the sheep before their first new assignment. Mééééééééééééééh
Oh dear lord ... The Arc? Not exactly a good name, eh.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Well, yes, that's boring. Why can't they just call it the PS3mote instead? And then throw in some unnecessary (de)capitalization...

The ps3Mote! Oh, wait, then it turns into subconscious advertising for 3M...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SaintWaldo said:
John Funk said:
Wet blanketing Sony announcements on Escapist: we've already heard it before.

I'll be watching for the Natal dousing.
Oh please, cry me a river. You're looking for bias in all the wrong places. I have no issues with the name itself, just with the fact that it's a boring revelation due to it being simply confirming the codename. If Natal's final name is Natal, that's equally boring.

Revolution to "Wii"? THAT was a surprising announcement, even if I know which of the two names I preferred.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Sheep Defense Force? I would fucking play that for hours on end, no kidding.
John Funk said:
Sony also registered a trademark for Hitsuji Boueigun, which apparently translates to "Sheep Defense Force."

Does that sound like a GOTY to you or what?!
Sheep Defense Force and a Plants vs. Zombie crossover WOULD be a GotY I think.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
John Funk said:
Well, that was boring.

The only reason I hate the name "Natal" is because I always say "Nadal" because of Rafael Nadal, one of the best tennis players in the world.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Meh arc at least its not a completely dumb name.

Anyways, sign me up for this.

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
Hey, if they are going to go with calling it the Arc... I want two of them to arc electricty between them like a pair of safe, plastic Tesla coils. Now that would be cool... and a system seller ;)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Sheep defence force sounds like a weapon from the worms series.

also I have been calling it the arc since I heard its codename so this is no change for me, but sadly no more outrageous jokes...

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Oh no! I thought Sony was smarter than this! Why can't anyone in these companies understand that motion controls are incredibly frustrating? And the Arc actually sounds kind of appropriate to me, I just don't know why, but it does.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
yeah beacuse this is waht playstation gamers want

Motion capture technology

im also confused about project Natal....i mean the eyetoy never worked

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
And I put my money on Fairy Princess Magic Wand and that it would come with a pink tu-tu in every box.