Sony Unveils New Android-Powered Tablets

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Unveils New Android-Powered Tablets

Sony has officially announced its first steps into the tablet market with a pair of Android-powered devices that will also boast a host of unique Sony software upgrades.

Sony's entry into the tablet market, creatively entitled "Sony Tablet," will come in two flavors, code-named S1 and S2, both packing the latest Android 3.0 operating system, aka "Honeycomb," and offering WiFi and 3G/4G connectivity. The S1 brings a large, 9.4-inch screen to the party with a unique "off-center of gravity design" intended to boost comfort over long hours of use, while the S2 is a clamshell intended for greater ease of mobility, with dual 5.5-inch displays that can be used either as one large, combined screen or for two separate functions, Nintendo DS-style.

Along with the robust Android software, Sony Tablet will also support the Reader Store [http://www.qriocity.com/ca/en/] accessibility will open up Sony's full library of eBooks on the devices, while the S1 will also serve as a universal remote control for compatible devices and can even transmit content to large-screen televisions or wireless speakers.

"'Sony Tablet' delivers an entertainment experience where users can enjoy cloud-based services on-the-go at any time," said Kunimasa Suzuki, Corporate Executive, Senior Vice President and Deputy President of Sony's Consumer Products & Services Group. "We're aiming to create a new lifestyle by integrating consumer hardware, including 'Sony Tablet' with content and network."

The Sony Tablet devices are currently slated to hit the market in fall 2011. No pricing information is currently available.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Hmm I wonder if these are going to possibly leak our credit card and personal information to whomever hacks them as well as go down for nearly a week when Sony tries to start pulling out the legal big-guns.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'd really like to get a tablet. In fact I would have gotten the Xoom since it has flash but it's around $700. Until tablets come down in price they'll never be mainstream.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I dunno, don't really see the point of tablets. Of course, i haven't actually tried out any, either, so that might just be the case. Maybe my mind will be blown if i get my hands on an iPad. Who knows?
Though, of course there are lots of people to whom tablets suit well. Just not me. At least not now. I think. maybe...

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Nice to see Sony supporting Android as much as they have recently. I've already decided that the Xperia Play will without question be my next cell phone and in the coming months I can see myself getting a tablet at some point as well. I just want to make sure Android doesn't go the the iPad route and make the tablets nothing but oversized smartphones. If I get a tablet I expect functionality closer to what I'd get with a netbook or laptop than a smartphone.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
As much as I hate to say it Sony, even if this tablet dispensed free pudding and muffins, you wouldn't win back the goodwill you have lost recently in the gaming comunity.

Still, they do look shiny, and that's all my ADHD needs.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
CM156 said:
As much as I hate to say it Sony, even if this tablet dispensed free pudding and muffins, you wouldn't win back the goodwill you have lost recently in the gaming comunity.

Still, they do look shiny, and that's all my ADHD needs.
yea I'm with you on this one! so it looks like i gotta get a apple instead (deep sigh!) man i hate apple but at least they don't sue your avg joe for installing Linux on a system you have paid for and then 2-3 weeks later create a tablet that runs Linux