Sony: Vita the "iPod of Handheld Gaming"

Kasual13

Aug 28, 2013
Rabid_meese said:
The Vita is just a shinier PSP.
I don't see how that's a bad thing. The PSP had many great games, The "Patapon series" & "Prinny: can I really be the Hero? 2" and "Zettai Hero modding Project" are some that come to mind, AND you can play them on your Vita!

What I DON'T like is that all stuff for the Vita (both Physical & Digital, Apps & Games) is Region Locked, so no "Nax Music Player" or "Dragon 2020" for me anytime soon :(

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I reckon the Vita is becoming more and more affordable, the lowest I've seen one is around £120. My only complaint consists of the high-price memory cards, as well as the apparent lack-of support from Sony's end despite it being a damn good system, I don't feel like they're taking full advantage of the system yet since they're focused on the PS4 at the moment. But I'm really hopeful for better PS Vita support in the nearby future.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
The iPod of gaming - just without the large back catalog of games that the IOS store has. Sony are sitting on a gold mine, all they have to do is put some actual effort into the PS classics onto PSN instead of half assing it. There are a huge amount of amazing PS1 and PS2 games out there that would sell like crazy.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
I love my Vita, but damn if it doesn't get enough games for it. Last handheld I actually kinda liked was the DS (the only good things I've found on the 3DS are Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden, the two Etrian games, SMT4, and hopefully Bravely Default). I do wish they'd be more open with the classic games, though, and I wish they'd get more in the damn pipeline for it. After Toukiden, is there anything to look forward to about the system?

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I like my vita, my issue is actually finding good games for it. Now, I have tons of games I could buy from the PS1 era, or even from the PSP.... But why would I want to when I already have my games and those systems. There are only a few decent titles for the Vita in the US (though there are a bit more in Japan), and unless they get their head out of their collective asses they system is going to end up going the way of the dodo (or the N-Gage). If they really pushed the support for quality JRPGs on it, they would have a decent start (as there are plenty of good JRPGs that would port nicely on the vita), however in the long run they need to utilize the hardware in there to differentiate it from other handheld solutions (DS, 3DS, Android, iOS, whatever). It has the power to run some decent looking games (I'd say late PS2 ERA quality or so, perhaps better if they actually work on the optimization), it has an amazing screen, and it has the controls built right into it (versus Android or iOS).

I'm hoping the upcoming game streaming system they are planning on putting on the vita does something decent, otherwise it is going to be relegated to just being a convenient way to watch Netflix in the bathroom.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
my Vita is a Portable Persona 4 Golden playing device that I occasionally use to google things when I'm playing games

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:
Yeah...no. If anything, it's the Wii U of handheld gaming.
this is actually a frightfully adept comparison. A competently made machine that's well loved by those who own it, but suffers from a crippled library and difficulty breaking into the public eye.

I own a vita, and love the system. its interface is friendly and I had a lot of fun recreating my old childhood PS1 library on it... though I wish they'd put more effort into that classics library. as someone above me said, that'd be a like a licence to print money, and since the vita is the source of a huge percentage of sony's digital sales, they must be aware there's demand for it.

the announcement seems like a bit of chest-thumping and hyperbole, but I'm glad to see that they're still supporting the system. these days 80% of my gaming is done on either 3DS or vita.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I don't get the ipod analogy.

But yeah I love my vita. Last year's Vita exclusives (Soul Sacrifice and Tear Away) are some quality stuff. I can only be optimistic about the console from now on.

And Kudos for all you people who didn't use the Bender youtube clip.