Sony Warns That PSN May Be Offline for Another Couple of Days

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
HankMan said:
Delusibeta said:
Apparently, the problem's in Japan.

Source [http://26star.com/profiles/blogs/psn-signin-problem-due-to].

I'm going to say that Anonymous isn't responsible for this, and rather someone in Sony of Japan cocked up.
More likely the result of the rolling blackouts caused by the earthquake. Even <url=http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/focus/archive/2011/04/japan-data-center-counil-proposes-way-around-rolling-brownouts>data centers are being affected. Sony's just trying to make Anonymous look bad.
So how exactly is sony trying to make anon look bad??? By saying they do not know what is wrong and that they have not ruled out a 3rd party??? They have not as of yet in any way that I know blamed this on anon.

Logan Westbrook said:
Seybold thanked PS3 owners for their patience, and said that he would keep them updated with any new information. Sony is yet to reveal the cause of these outages, although yesterday Sony's James Gallagher wrote on the European PlayStation blog that it might be the result of a third party deliberately targeting the service and attempting to bring it down. His post has since been edited and now also sports a warning that the service might be offline for an extended period.

If a third party really is causing the outages, the most likely candidate would seem to be Anonymous, which has recently attacked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108949-Sony-Hacker-Lawsuits-Earn-the-Wrath-of-Anonymous-UPDATED] Sony for its actions against hacker George Hotz. As part of "Operation Sony," the group assaulted Sony-owned websites with denial of service of service attacks. PSN was also affected, but Anonymous later apologized [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109056-Anonymous-Halts-Sony-Attacks-Affecting-PSN-Users] for this and said it would leave the service alone in the future.
If you read it you will see the only one bringing anon into the talk is the original poster sony has not said anything about anon. Basically they have not ruled out a 3rd party but have not blamed it on a 3rd party either. They are just trying to get it back up with as little pissing off it's customers as possible.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Unfortunately, Anonymous is not one cohesive whole, as demonstrated by a splinter group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109039-Anonymous-Splinter-Group-Targeting-Sony-Executives] that was gathering up personal information like addresses and phone numbers about Sony executives and people involved in the trial for harassment purposes. This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children. It's not outside the realms of possibility that some other group has decided to attack PSN directly.
Why.... are the children being dragged into this, this is a line that should of not been crossed..... If they are going to target anyone target the people responsible, they're grown ass adults, attacking the family is just a sign of cowardice and those people should be dealt with.

EDIT:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
i Blame Squirrels, but thats Normally My answer to Anything that doesn't make sense to me, Squirrels or Drugs
or Drugged up Squirrels..
They are natures drug dealers, it makes perfect sense.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
If it was a splinter from Anon, then all I can say is that the other members should seriously fuck them up for bringing them back into a war that they halted.
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Holy freaky captcha!
Wait, strike what I said earlier. Captcha knows something...
*does a chin stroke*
I will get to the bottom of this Captcha, you will tell me who's is spilling shit on the computers.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Tsaba said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Unfortunately, Anonymous is not one cohesive whole, as demonstrated by a splinter group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109039-Anonymous-Splinter-Group-Targeting-Sony-Executives] that was gathering up personal information like addresses and phone numbers about Sony executives and people involved in the trial for harassment purposes. This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children. It's not outside the realms of possibility that some other group has decided to attack PSN directly.
Why.... are the children being dragged into this, this is a line that should of not been crossed..... If they are going to target anyone target the people responsible, they're grown ass adults, attacking the family is just a sign of cowardice and those people should be dealt with.
I agree. IF it is Annon, they are already cowards by hiding behind a mask. But to go after children? To far, far to far.

OT: Well, my PS3 owning friend is really pissed at this and is currently playing on my Xbox.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I wonder why PSN is down... There's probably an anonymous group of people at work.
Who knows why PSN doesn't work... I'll bet Sony wants whoever is responsible to remain anonymous.
PSN is down? By an anonymous group? Now we'll never know who they are!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Treblaine said:
GonzoGamer said:
But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves...
I wouldn't call it Sony's screwup if Japan suffers a catastrophic natural disaster, nuclear meltdown and decimation of their energy infrastructure causing rolling blackouts.

The only way this is "their screwup" is basing some of their servers in the country where their business is actually based! Which no one can fault them for.
RanD00M said:
Snipped due to tantrum.
The earthquake and the rolling blackouts that ensued started over a month ago. Up to now, I thought they were prepared for something like that: it is a huge multinational corporation. It's not unthinkable that they would have backup servers on another continent.

And besides: have they said that the earthquake/blackout/radiation is the reason it went down? All they said was that it's being worked on in Japan. At first they started making thinly veiled accusations at random hackers.

Besides, their infrastructure was under question long before the earthquake. Once again may I remind you of the Leap Year fiasco.

DKSuper92

Apr 21, 2011
This whole episode sucks for Sony & my PS3 but im one of the the few people who constantly switches between his beloved xbox & his PS3 trying to find common ground between the 2 but the PSN lacks community infact the only way i can meet people online is by playing games online oh but wait sony has already fucked that up for the weekend i get back from the capital hoping to kill some innocents on Red Dead Redemption made my easter weekend feel abit down so now i have to celebrate easter the proper way but then again i have an Xbox not all is lost.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, there are currently three possibilities from what I've gathered.

1) An attack by Anonymous.
2) Sony screwed up.
3) Japan's current disaster resulting from a terrible earthquake is disrupting services.

I think all three are plausible. Some may scream that Anon doesn't operate in this fashion, but they are loosely affiliated anarchists. Anything is possible in that regard. Sony is run by humans. They make mistakes. And we all know Sony has screwed up PSN before. With all the back to back disasters in Japan, it's kinda surprising that there haven't been more issues like this. Or maybe there have been and I just haven't heard. Still, if its due to the trouble in Tokyo, why wouldn't Sony just say that? I'd think most people would accept that as a valid cause and have little complaint.

No matter what it is caused by, we can only hope that it is resolved soon.

Treblaine said:
Logan Westbrook said:
This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children.
I look forward to seeing how much anonymity will help these crazy "hackivists" while being pounded in some hellish prison.

Because deliberately targeting children for intimidation WILL get you in a metric shit-ton of trouble and get more than the Treasury Department involved, it'll get the FBI's Child Protection bully boys to kick down the door to your mom's basement and drag you away by your short and curlies.
You know, that is my main problem with Anon. They take things too far. Back when they hacked that security company, I was okay with it, by and large, until I heard they hacked the CEOs Twitter and posted his personal information. No matter what they claim, their childish, idiotic antics will only do more harm than good. Things like that only prove that governments need to do more to regulate the internet to those that think it should, and makes those that don't consider it. If Anon wants to prove a point, then they should. But when they harass and harm people, they cross a line that only hurts their cause.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Holy freaky captcha!
Quick! All is not lost yet! Type this out before the timer runs out!

CH4/H2O roarni

Whew! That was close! Once more, Lord Inglip has been thwarted - wait a minute. I got one as well...

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VuvZ8CH8LMCxQueG5zr-qlq_RzZM04JHcuyQLGfg-BGvqRZ7FTtW3fHm-NvcBIu_tYq62FdkjitcMJfJUJfQTxXeFOk7yScVehHkIjYPBihNfxTJwLA1dQBt2AEIBnTlo4gRsQumUsrCQNr6lK7AiD8q6IkmUA

What the... how do I... why would he...

I DON'T HAVE A PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER DAMMIT!

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Tank207 said:
After reading the article yesterday, and the one today I have to ask this. When the hell did Sony ever directly say that anonymous was responsible? From what I can tell, the people writing the articles here are mentioning it as a possibility and everyone jumps to conclusions and thinks Sony said it.

-Samurai- said:
Really the only thing that sucks about this is Netflix requires me to be logged into the PSN to access it. I've gotten it for let me watch something once without being logged in, but now it outright refuses, and I don't like being locked out of a program I'm paying for.

That said, I'm not really angry about it. I understand that things happen, and they can take time to fix. Just kind of annoyed.
Netflix and system updates are actually still working. It's like there is some connectivity, but not much.
Sometimes I try and it's like "Hey, wanna watch stuff? Sure! Go for it!". But mostly it's like "Hey, you're not signed into the PSN, let me try that for you. Oops, couldn't log you in. Let me try again. Still nothing. Oh well. Try again later." and then it closes.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Nooooooo! I'm gonna be so rusty on Tekken it's not gonna be funny!

I'm too depressed to even joke about the captchas.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
So much for Anonymous' promise that their attacks won't screw gamers over...

For god sake, attack ACTIVISION or even EA; they're the real enemies!

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Saltyk said:
So, there are currently three possibilities from what I've gathered.

1) An attack by Anonymous.
2) Sony screwed up.
3) Japan's current disaster resulting from a terrible earthquake is disrupting services.

I think all three are plausible. Some may scream that Anon doesn't operate in this fashion, but they are loosely affiliated anarchists. Anything is possible in that regard. Sony is run by humans. They make mistakes. And we all know Sony has screwed up PSN before. With all the back to back disasters in Japan, it's kinda surprising that there haven't been more issues like this. Or maybe there have been and I just haven't heard. Still, if its due to the trouble in Tokyo, why wouldn't Sony just say that? I'd think most people would accept that as a valid cause and have little complaint.
The thing is, in an age where digital distribution is being pushed for and online passes and DLC are being used to encourage new sales versus used, nothing could damage that business model more than being offline for an extended period cutting people off from a lot of content, save being offline due to a) a major screw-up on your own part, b) a lack of backup servers in case of problems and c) not forseeing the need to get servers offsite in the wake of a major natural disaster affecting the power grid.

People can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I think theres more anger in the "we don't know what's wrong or how to fix it" attitude behind the statement with a mingling of the realization that there's no backup system to PSN (and potentially other online networks). A good business needs to be able to deal with adversity, and running around like chikens with their head cut off while blaming a 2 month old disaster for a lack of forsight would just be embarassing for Sony at best.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I find it funny that everyone acts like it is the end of the world. I was planning on going over to two separate friends houses who both have 360s and playing games with them anyways this weekend. And when not doing that studying for an interview I have on Monday. Not to say I don't love my PS3 because I do but this weekend I really need to stay away from my system. *shrugs*

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I still blame anonymous. They're horrible little people who screwed up PSN before. They're lying about their involvement.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
and this is why PSN is free.

because it's cheaply made

Jacob.pederson said:
This has got to be related to the Steam/Portal 2 rollout.
well steam crashers alot on PC (Valves platform of choice) so I don't see how they can do it well on ps3.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
So sad. Sell millions of shody products the break to your customers? Thanks, xbox, you sure got me there!

Make your online free for all? Fuck you, Sony. Well make your customers PAY.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Flauros said:
So sad. Sell millions of shody products the break to your customers? Thanks, xbox, you sure got me there!

Make your online free for all? Fuck you, Sony. Well make your customers PAY.
I second this