Sony Warns That PSN May Be Offline for Another Couple of Days

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Warns That PSN May Be Offline for Another Couple of Days

PSN is still down, and Sony is still keeping quiet about what's causing it.

If you were hoping to spend the Easter weekend playing on your PS3, you might want to stick with single player games thanks to Sony's ongoing network problems. Sony's Patrick Seybold has posted on the official PlayStation blog, saying that it might be a day or two before PSN is back up and running.

Seybold thanked PS3 owners for their patience, and said that he would keep them updated with any new information. Sony is yet to reveal the cause of these outages, although yesterday Sony's James Gallagher wrote on the European PlayStation blog that it might be the result of a third party deliberately targeting the service and attempting to bring it down. His post has since been edited and now also sports a warning that the service might be offline for an extended period.

If a third party really is causing the outages, the most likely candidate would seem to be Anonymous, which has recently attacked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108949-Sony-Hacker-Lawsuits-Earn-the-Wrath-of-Anonymous-UPDATED] Sony for its actions against hacker George Hotz. As part of "Operation Sony," the group assaulted Sony-owned websites with denial of service of service attacks. PSN was also affected, but Anonymous later apologized [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109056-Anonymous-Halts-Sony-Attacks-Affecting-PSN-Users] for this and said it would leave the service alone in the future.

Unfortunately, Anonymous is not one cohesive whole, as demonstrated by a splinter group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109039-Anonymous-Splinter-Group-Targeting-Sony-Executives] that was gathering up personal information like addresses and phone numbers about Sony executives and people involved in the trial for harassment purposes. This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children. It's not outside the realms of possibility that some other group has decided to attack PSN directly.

Whatever the reason it's down, hopefully, the service will be back up and running sooner rather than later, and the two-day warning is just a worst-case scenario.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/21/latest-update-on-psn-outage]

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
I bet Sony ran the Playstation Network through a single fiber optic cable, and someone accidentally dug it up and damaged it in the process.

Feb 13, 2008
If a certain group were deliberately trying to harm Anonymous, this would be an excellent frame.

Equally if an interested party was too require the network to be down for some time and wanted someone to blame.

While Anonymous splinters, the power to do something like that often rests in the hands of more than a splinter.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
"If you were hoping to spend the Easter weekend playing on your PS3, you might want to stick with single player games"

That's what I planned anyway so no change for me. If it is Anon, IF, then it's probably going back to doing what they know they can do since their protest was pretty much a huge flop.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well this sucks, first time I get time off work in ages and all of psn down for a couple of days.
Yeah I know what you mean, I finally done studying and this happens :(

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Apparently, the problem's in Japan.

Source [http://26star.com/profiles/blogs/psn-signin-problem-due-to].

I'm going to say that Anonymous isn't responsible for this, and rather someone in Sony of Japan cocked up.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, this is bad. Hopefully they can fix it fast. Feel sorry for the PS3-players out there who want to play on-line.

And i wonder what the cause is... Can it truly be some group who just wants to harm Sony? Or something else?

EDIT: and as I made my post, someone already posted a Tweet about the problem being in Japan. Well i guess i got quarter-ninjad or something like that. Poor me.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Well, that sucks. Good thing I bought Portal 2 for the 360. I haven't tried to get on the PSN for a few days. I didn't even realize there was a problem.

Dec 27, 2010
The day Portal 2 comes out in Europe, and along with that Steam Cloud on PS3, is the day that they decide attack PSN! F*ck you Anonymous, f*ck you in the face with a screwdriver!

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I doubt Anonymous is responsible for this. I think at this point they want to use Anonymous as a scapegoat as opposed to "Sony made a major whoopsie that we don't know how to resolve yet." I don't play PSN games so this doesn't affect me in that regard BUT I do like using Netflix on my PS3 and not being able to use that does piss me off quite a bit.

Not to start a fanboy war, but really, even before these attacks, the PSN's uptime compared to Xbox Live has been nothing but atrocious. I think Live goes down for like 3 days of total time in a given day, while the PSN seems to be down for a week at the most inconvenient times.

jrobin7401

Sep 17, 2010
SamFisher202 said:
I bet Sony ran the Playstation Network through a single fiber optic cable, and someone accidentally dug it up and damaged it in the process.
looks like the little old lady from Georgia strikes again!!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.275652-Elderly-Woman-Pokes-Cable-Cuts-Internet-Access-in-Three-Countries?page=1

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
yourbeliefs said:
I doubt Anonymous is responsible for this. I think at this point they want to use Anonymous as a scapegoat as opposed to "Sony made a major whoopsie that we don't know how to resolve yet."
Wait a minute, who would try to use Anonymous as a scapegoat...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108015-Anonymous-Hacks-Westboro-Baptist-Church-on-Live-Talk-Show

OMG!!! Westboro Baptist Church is HACKING PSN!!!111oneoneone!!!

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
The day Portal 2 comes out in Europe, and along with that Steam Cloud on PS3, is the day that they decide attack PSN! F*ck you Anonymous, f*ck you in the face with a screwdriver!
Pretty much this. No, exactly this.

This is also, in fact, the only weekend i'll get a chance to play portal 2 for a month, and I was looking forward to doing it on my pc.

Bah.

Edit: I actually haven't checked just throwing in the online code into steam first, since it said you had to sign into steam via ps3 first in the game box. So I'll have to try that, really, if I can just use this code and play portal 2 as normal, well...

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
I highly doubt it's anonymous, just due to the fact that in all of anon's history of operation they've never missed an opertunity to claim credit for their actions.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Sounds like this is probably Sony's problem. If it was from an outside attack they would have placed blame already. The fact that they are not saying anything makes me think it's solely their own fault and they majorly fucked up in some way.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children.
I look forward to seeing how much anonymity will help these crazy "hackivists" while being pounded in some hellish prison.

Because deliberately targeting children for intimidation WILL get you in a metric shit-ton of trouble and get more than the Treasury Department involved, it'll get the FBI's Child Protection bully boys to kick down the door to your mom's basement and drag you away by your short and curlies.