Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Might believe they were telling the truth if THEY DIDN'T POST IT ONLINE. Sony is taking such a beating right now...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
danpascooch said:
An SQL injection? Seriously? A fucking SQL injection!?

That's the simplest type of hack in the world, if hacking were burglary, that would be the equivalent of checking if the front door was unlocked. Basically Sony left its front door open after being robbed blind just weeks ago, WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Don't even tell me none of this is Sony's fault, that's bullshit, I've always known it was bullshit, but now there's proof.
Honestly, I wouldn't trust either source of information. The hackers have already allegedly stolen a million bits of info, I doubt they'd be above twisting whatever they can find to suit their needs. Could be the most secure information in the world, and these assholes are making everything up to somehow look like heroes. Likewise, fuck if I know how Sony is handling this, could be shit on shit surrounded by a small fence for all I know. It's shit no matter how you crunch it.

mjc0961 said:
So, is this the new meme now? Internetz get bored of making Friday jokes and decided it was time to have fun hacking Sony?

Sony, just give them Install Other OS back. The PS3 itself is already cracked wide open thanks to the root key getting out, so it can't hurt anything. Give everyone Install Other OS back and go after everyone who has hacked you with everything you can, and maybe other people will get off your nuts.

I dunno. I'm just sick of reading about Sony getting hacked every week.
Is release the Other OS feature back really going to do much at this point? As their name suggests, they're doing this for the "lulz", and even if OtherOS was brought back, I doubt that that is the point of these attacks anymore.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Laze said:
So yes, the Lulz Boat is almost certainly doing it "for the lulz". That doesn't mean that there wasn't another motive. I'd argue that bringing attention to the vulnerability before, say, someone with a botnet for e-mail spam or identity theft found it, is very much worth the lulz. Assuming that this group doesn't act like typical Anonymous idiots by making the personal information public, that is.
According to the article, they posted it online, which is what people seem to be angry with.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Their professed motives seem...well, not exactly admirable in my opinion, but at least not dick-ish. But putting all the stolen data out? Even if it's not worth anything now that everybody knows it, they still violated the privacy of a bunch of random users who did nothing wrong.

I guess I've got to give them a little credit, though - asking for donations to steal people's personal information? That takes...[zapp brannigan]chutzpah[/zapp brannigan].

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
I really don't get this. "Sony's security is inept! Please pay us money so we can trash your privacy and tear down their walls to show how inept they are, rather than simply telling them and demanding better!"

I mean really, do people set their houses on fire to see how fireproof it is? Do you throw your phone at the ground to test its shock resistance? Why in the world would you steal private information to prove a point. Why not just leave a note there that says "Hey, you should probably get this looked at", rather than being immensely big headed.

If anyone gives them a dollar, they're doing a disservice to their fellow man.

On a side note though: I'm more than tired of the "Sony Wuz Hacked!" crap week after week. You're talking about a massive, branching company, with tons of different internet based service, coming under attack by tons of different hackers. Of course they're going to find faults. That doesn't make what Sony is doing right, but it doesn't make it impressive or useful to consumers either. I'm just glad I don't own a PS3 or any other Sony products (aside from a PS2, from a simpler time).

(Afterthought: I really have a strong desire to have someone test the sturdiness of these hacker's Skull by way of Crowbar, then post their brains on the floor to prove they have flawed craniums, as to so easily be hacked with a large lead pipe.)

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
DevilWolf47 said:
Seriously Sony? Again? How is it that a major corporate power can be hacked to such a high level so many times? I know determined groups can overwhelm sophisticated defenses, but honestly. Did Sony upgrade their cyber security after the PSN catastrophe?

I agree with LulzBoat here. If Sony hasn't heard their lesson yet they deserve to be humiliated by web memes.
Sony redid the PSN and buffed up the security on the gaming side of things. They never mentioned their other departments...probably because they figured noone would bother looking there.

Guess Sony made a mistake on that one...
My friend if The Escapist had a badge for making understatements, i'd definitely recommend you for it. Call me a cynical bastard, but Sony left a narcoleptic alcoholic at their switch.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Akalabeth said:
Anyone who gives these people money might as well set a match to it instead.
Hey, MS could make some donations, and it would be money well spent for them...

I mean, they've been deliberately sabotaging the PC with GFWL, I can easily picture them gleefully jumping into this.
Somehow I don't think Aiding and Abetting criminals is a good business plan.
I didn't say they would do it publicly...

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
...I'm sick of hackers as a whole.

Read my goddamn text:
[HEADING=1]YOU ARE NOT FUCKING HEROES[/HEADING]

No one will sing of your battles, no one will think of you as heroes out to help the littleman. All they see is a group of peopple willing and able to enter their private lives and steal their information.

Which you freaking idiots did, oh Noble of Noblemen.

So thanks, you exposed over a 1,000,000 people to identity theft. I hope you freaking proud of yourselves.
Theirs a difference between hacking things you own, hacking things for a good cause, and being a dick.

These guys are the latter.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I hope these hackers get sued or arrested or something. What they are doing is theft, pure and simple. It doesen't matter, in their mind, if it's for a good cause or not. It's just plain stealing. Im sick of this train of logic that hackers use to justify showing off or trying to be bad asses.

I hope these guys, and the guys responsible for the recent PSN attack get pursued with the fullest extent of the law. They are not helping anyone, not the companies and certainly not the gamers who's information may very well have been stolen.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I can actually view this as a WoW raid and now they're reaping the spoils of the 1,000,000 users info they got...now which one was Leroy Jenkins is what I'm wondering...

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
From what I've seen, all that's been published is e-mail addresses, and passwords.

Also, it appears that in this recent release, it's only users of sonypictures.com, and (as a plus for some) there are only TWO ".co.uk" addresses in the entire list.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Kysafen said:
Well, this means the PSN store's re-launch is going to be delayed even more.

Which also means the hackers should consider themselves lucky not to be in the same room as me. Otherwise I'd... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHi3A0L6UE]
I thought it was Sony Pictures that got hacked, nothing to do with the games, only the company as a whole...HEY DID YOU KNOW SONY DID FILMS TOO!?! I KNOW!!! SHOCKING RIGHT!!!

Doubt we're gonna see a PS4 then =\

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
danpascooch said:
An SQL injection? Seriously? A fucking SQL injection!?

That's the simplest type of hack in the world, if hacking were burglary, that would be the equivalent of checking if the front door was unlocked. Basically Sony left its front door open after being robbed blind just weeks ago, WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Don't even tell me none of this is Sony's fault, that's bullshit, I've always known it was bullshit, but now there's proof.
Proof? The mouths of hackers spill proof nowadays, interesting.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
The only way Sony could look any worse at this point is if they were the one hacking their own company.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
At first I was only mildly sympathetic for Sony, but now I just outright pity them. Just because one group hacked them, suddenly every douchebag on the internet has to do it? "Yes, let's demonstrate that Sony is the bad guy by stealing the personal info of over a million people!" Not malicious my ass. The "lesson" is redundant, and in my opinion, is just an excuse to give the company the shaft without being the "bad guys."