Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Ignoring the hackers complete lack of logic through their methods, they do realise they are having the opposite effect of what they want, right? More and more people are beginning to support Sony now.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
will1182 said:
There are still people here defending Sony. Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, the hackers are idiots, but Sony deserves this. It really does. It's a shame innocent people have to pay for their incompetence.
That's the thing, Sony isn't the one who is paying here; it's the consumers. If they really wanted to make a clear-cut point, they wouldn't have (allegedly) stolen people's information and would have either A) targeted the higher ups, B) warn Sony what they could potentially do with the info, or maybe the nicest (I.E. least likely) option C) contact Sony directly and work with them to improve security.

Sony may deserve this, but the consumers don't. They even have the audacity to demand money from the very people they are stealing with. Either way, the consumers are being buttfucked by two bullies.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
" All of the personal information that LulzSec were able to steal despite meager means is now posted online, along with a press release stating their intention was merely to call out Sony's botched security measures."

This is the biggest dbag statement in the history of the internet...

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Apparently somebody did not agree with Anonymous having all the fun and limelight.

But, contrary to popular belief: an asshole with a good point is not a contradiction, nor even a paradox. It's just an asshole with a good point.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This shit is so annoying. First, why aren't you encrypting data better Sony? I don't know anything about it, but I can't help but feel you are not doing all you can at this point.

Also, stop being dicks. I used to work with behaviorally disturbed kids and there was a basic rule: If you do something you know will make them violent, then they are not completely at fault. Stop being douche bags and digital tyrants.

This hacking shit is obnoxious. All this is going to do is lead to internet controlling legislation and invasion of privacy. These "lulz" guys should all be lined up and shot, anyone who steals data should really. I know that if I caught a guy in my house without all the lights on, looking through my shit, someone would be going to the hospital and it wouldn't be me.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Ckeymel? Pfft! I posted this hours ago. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.288638-LulzSec-steals-SonyPictures-everything-Updated?page=1]

Anyway, I have absolutely zero idea of both how to hack systems, and also how to encrypt information, so I can't really side with one group or the other on this...but I default to siding with Sony, if only because in an ideal world, we should be able to leave our doors unlocked without fear of being raped and murdered in the middle of the night. Then have the corpse kicked. Over and over and over.

Anywho, I kind of doubt LulzSec's claim that they were only doing it to show vulnerability since they posted the information publically. Sure it was needed as proof, but they compromised personal information and accounts in doing so. Wouldn't it have been better to just email Sony's CEO with the information? Not to mention LulzSec's claim of Sownage being 'The beginning of the end for Sony'
I agree that LulzSec's intentions were likely not "to show vulnerability", but data security is fairly simple (at least in regard to the exploit they used).

Sony could have fixed this, fairly easily, in a couple of ways.

First (and this is a stupid basic concept in security), do not store all your data in the same place. Require user validation for first access, to things like username and password, then require another round of user validation to access personal information, and yet another to access opt-in data. That kind of thing would have made their hack retrieve only the topmost layer, which is just username and password (and if the passwords were properly encrypted, that won't get them much).

Second, encrypt the stupid passwords. All you have to do is apply a simple algorithm before you save it somewhere. The easiest way is to simply hash the value (ie, translate the string into a number through some fancy math: basically you take each letter's ASCII value, give it an exponent based on the length of the string and then add all the numbers together) and store the hash, but there are much more complex algorithms out there that are much more secure than that.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kysafen said:
Well, this means the PSN store's re-launch is going to be delayed even more.

Which also means the hackers should consider themselves lucky not to be in the same room as me. Otherwise I'd... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHi3A0L6UE]
The playstation store has been up for hours and hours. I've already downloaded like fifty gazillion demos off it. The NA customer appreciation plan probably won't be going into effect until the 4th, though.

LulzSec The Lulz Boat
Our warmest and lulziest thanks to the anonymous BitCoin benefactors in the last two hours. We've received around $40 worth of donations. :D
Okay, it's only $40, BUT WHO THE HELL IS GIVING THEM MONEY? $20 an hour is more than I make, dammit.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I knew this was coming a long time ago. LulzSec had been tweeting about it for quite some time.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sinclose said:
Jumplion said:
will1182 said:
There are still people here defending Sony. Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, the hackers are idiots, but Sony deserves this. It really does. It's a shame innocent people have to pay for their incompetence.
That's the thing, Sony isn't the one who is paying here; it's the consumers. If they really wanted to make a clear-cut point, they wouldn't have (allegedly) stolen people's information and would have either A) targeted the higher ups, B) warn Sony what they could potentially do with the info, or maybe the nicest (I.E. least likely) option C) contact Sony directly and work with them to improve security.

Sony may deserve this, but the consumers don't. They even have the audacity to demand money from the very people they are stealing with. Either way, the consumers are being buttfucked by two bullies.
I think Lulzsec once mentioned they do this 'for entertainment'. Not to prove a point or anything, they're doing this for fun.

And people will pay them too. If you read around their Twitter feed, they have many defenders who actually couldn't care less how much data is compromised, as long as they get a good show out of the whole thing.

It's disgusting.
Faith in humanity........lowering......

BDNeon

Jan 14, 2009
If they think they'll get OtherOS back by resorting to terrorism then that's just hilarious.

And if it was so simple to breach Sony why'd it take them THREE DAYS.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
In all fairness to Sony, why encrypt what someone wouldn't really want, I mean seriously this is more a, look we stole pretty much useless data, we're so bad.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
*sigh* another week, another Sony hack.

*reads article*

wait a minute! those fuckhead hackers want our money so that they can steal our information?! WHAT?!

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
Hacking is just the new hype crime, before this it was mobile phone theft and before that it was online predators. Give it a year or two and some other form of cyber-crime will emerge, to the utter indifference of 99% of the public.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
mojodamm said:
Proof? The mouths of hackers spill proof nowadays, interesting.
Logically, if it was better protected, the hackers would say so, because that would mean they were skilled enough to hack past the security on no budget.

Since they didn't, it's safe to assume that they are telling the truth. It's not a guarantee by any means, but it does lend quite a bit of support to that argument.

hensethe1

Feb 26, 2011
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

Maddox had it right all along

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
danpascooch said:
An SQL injection? Seriously? A fucking SQL injection!?

That's the simplest type of hack in the world, if hacking were burglary, that would be the equivalent of checking if the front door was unlocked. Basically Sony left its front door open after being robbed blind just weeks ago, WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Don't even tell me none of this is Sony's fault, that's bullshit, I've always known it was bullshit, but now there's proof.
I agree most people that aren't into hackking might not understand how simple a sql hack is, this would be a major fuckup for any site with a user database.