Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
Hacking a corperation to show them their lack of security: Understandable.
Adding some internet humour: Funny (atleast i think so)
The intended result: Better security (i certainly hope!)

Now where i disagree with all this is what they ended up doing, completely exposeing almost the entire sonypictures user accounts to theft! This is the most dick move they could possibly do!

They literally say "Go forth and plunder" on their website!

good intensions being corrupted by the dick moves.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Korey Von Doom said:
In all fairness to Sony, why encrypt what someone wouldn't really want, I mean seriously this is more a, look we stole pretty much useless data, we're so bad.
actually, most people use the same password everywhere, so most of the username/passwords could be used to get their email and from there you can get a lot of information.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
To all the people that says there was no need to post all the data

there are two very simple reason for that.

1. Proof.

2. People will be pissed at Sony for leaving their data so unsecure and therefor it might force a change.

This sucks for Sony but cmon... That is pretty much just asking to be "hacked"

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Personally, I'm siding more with the hackers on this one, being able to access client's personal information so easily is a huge mistake for any compnay to make. Sure, posting the information afterwards is a bit dickish, but the only way to really get Sony's attention would be by generating another PR shitstorm like this.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
I really hope this isn't going to turn into hackers attacking everything else.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to change all my passwords.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Tubez said:

1. Proof.

2. People will be pissed at Sony for leaving their data so unsecure and therefor it might force a change.

This doesn't suck for Sony nearly as much as it sucks for the 1,000,000+ people who were just opened up to identity theft.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
qeinar said:
Korey Von Doom said:
In all fairness to Sony, why encrypt what someone wouldn't really want, I mean seriously this is more a, look we stole pretty much useless data, we're so bad.
actually, most people use the same password everywhere, so most of the username/passwords could be used to get their email and from there you can get a lot of information.
People shouldn't be dumb enough to use the same password for everything, but sadly, people these days are as dumb as rocks.

BDNeon

Jan 14, 2009
megaman24681012 said:
*sigh* another week, another Sony hack.

*reads article*

wait a minute! those fuckhead hackers want our money so that they can steal our information?! WHAT?!
Isn't that potentially a good thing?

Money leaves a trail after all. Which means it could be an avenue of attack to find these bastards for law enforcement.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
BDNeon said:
megaman24681012 said:
*sigh* another week, another Sony hack.

*reads article*

wait a minute! those fuckhead hackers want our money so that they can steal our information?! WHAT?!
Isn't that potentially a good thing?

Money leaves a trail after all. Which means it could be an avenue of attack to find these bastards for law enforcement.
Maybe the FBI's cyber division should send them some money, then. See where it goes.

Also, LulzSec has a website now. Can't they obtain user data from that? Just pull the first name off the list...(Who would be the one who set up the website)

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
For the love of the flying spaghetti monster...

I'm starting to get really sick of this. Frackin' hackers... Why can't they do something a little more productive instead of pissing off Sony and it's consumers?

I can't wait for Sony to find them and sue their arses back to the stone age.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Agayek said:
mojodamm said:
Proof? The mouths of hackers spill proof nowadays, interesting.
Logically, if it was better protected, the hackers would say so, because that would mean they were skilled enough to hack past the security on no budget.

Since they didn't, it's safe to assume that they are telling the truth. It's not a guarantee by any means, but it does lend quite a bit of support to that argument.
Unless your intent wasn't to prove you are uber. Which in this case it is not. If the intent was to undermine Sony and destroy the faith of Sony's customers then it would be logically to assume that the hacker would lie and say that the network was so poorly protected that the simplest hack was able to break in.

They even say as much in their press release.
"Why do you put such faith in a company that allows itself to become open to these simple attacks?"

Really you can argue either way forever.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Akalabeth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Akalabeth said:
Anyone who gives these people money might as well set a match to it instead.
Hey, MS could make some donations, and it would be money well spent for them...

I mean, they've been deliberately sabotaging the PC with GFWL, I can easily picture them gleefully jumping into this.
Somehow I don't think Aiding and Abetting criminals is a good business plan.
I didn't say they would do it publicly...
Uh, money in big corporations like that is theoretically tracked as to where it goes. If a couple grand disappears for no reason someone's going to notice.
What if an employee is instructed to anonymously dropped the money from his paycheck? You're not telling their spending habits are tracked as well...

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Agayek said:
mojodamm said:
Proof? The mouths of hackers spill proof nowadays, interesting.
Logically, if it was better protected, the hackers would say so, because that would mean they were skilled enough to hack past the security on no budget.

Since they didn't, it's safe to assume that they are telling the truth. It's not a guarantee by any means, but it does lend quite a bit of support to that argument.
You're giving a group of confessed criminals entirely too much credit for honesty. Bluntly, they have no reason, whatsoever, to tell the truth about how they did this. Seriously, if you're going to steal the information, and try to make money from doing so, why the hell would you tell anyone which door you actually used?

And, as far as "no budget" is concerned, outside of these people saying so, what evidence exists of the truth of that claim?

There is absolutely no reason, at all, to say "you have no idea how hard this was. But, I was able to put a worm in (insert out of the way, yet vulnerable code here), so I could get in." Frankly, your claims go against all logic.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
Well, Sony did hire multiple security companies to improve it's security. If Sony's security was lacking (Or wasn't), it's probably on their shoulders. Anywho, the true level of Sony's security will probably come out with time.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
At this point I've lost all my trust in online security. Too bad I'm too stupid to know how to delete my credit card information from steam.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
That is just sad, we program all the time so this sort of thing doesn't happen. This is a mistake of a first year college student, not a multi million dollar company.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

1. Proof.

This doesn't suck for Sony nearly as much as it sucks for the 1,000,000+ people who were just opened up to identity theft.
Perhaps, but you cannot say that this will not suck a lot for sony either.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Well, Sony did hire multiple security companies to improve it's security. If Sony's security was lacking (Or wasn't), it's probably on their shoulders. Anywho, the true level of Sony's security will probably come out with time.
I am 100% certain that if Sony security was sub-par in anyway it will be brought to light and Sony will pay dearly for failing to protect its customers.

That doesn't mean that the hacker are right, cause they're not.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
NO NO NO! YOU GUYS MADE THE BEST CONSOLE OF IT'S GENERATION! THE PS2 WAS FUCKING GOLDEN! YOU CAN'T DIE ON ME DAMMIT!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

1. Proof.

Perhaps, but you cannot say that this will not suck a lot for sony either.
Sucking for everyone. The constant Sony hacks seem to have made people very sympathetic towards Sony, though.

There's a difference between a failure and a fiasco. A failure is simply the non-presence of success. Any fool can accomplish failure. But a fiasco, a fiasco is a disaster of mythic proportions. A fiasco is a folk tale told to others that makes other people feel more alive because it didn't happen to them.
Guess which one this is?