Sony Will Drop $50 Million on U.S. Vita Marketing

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Arontala said:
The people angry about no backwards compatibility make me laugh.

I'm sure that the emulation community will get right on that. They're a pretty creative bunch, really.
Oh of course, they'll be all over it like a hooker and... cocaine?

My only concern with it, is with all the technology crammed into it, what is going to be the major drawback if we put custom firmware on? then again, the moment there's a stable version with no problems such as Sony locks and shit, I'm snatching one up.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Wow, $50 million for marketing. It would be more enticing if they spent that money to add games or a larger memory card on launch.

But then again, this is Sony.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
If you plate platinum on a dog turd you still have a dog turd underneath. Sony is going to kill this with the digital distribution only crap. For them it might be a dream come true, to never be able to own software only be 'licensed' to use it until Sony decides it wants to pull the license with no refund (granted its not likely to occur on a regular basis but just look at Kindle with Orwells '1984' to see it can happen). Add to that 'proprietary' memory cards that are only expensive because Sony wants them to be expensive...

For customers this whole nonsense just doesn't wash, and not just because many of us like something physical to indicate our ownership.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well I do plan on getting one eventually if only for Vanillawares game, Dragon Crown. I do so seriously love those guys.

If your interested in the game here's a link to the escapist trailer on it,
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3493-Dragons-Crown

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
Yes, clearly despite giving it one of the best launch lineups in the history of gaming, making it incredibly affordable for what it can do,
The lineup isn't particularly impressive, and "affordable for what it can theoretically do" is pretty meaningless when games of equal quality can be done on systems costing less than half.

rolling out a permanent discount on digital sales (the only games company in history to do that)
A permanent discount. How cute. And how naive. They will just set the prices to how they would be if the discount didn't exist, plus the amount it discounts. They aren't actually giving you anything, just a nice feeling, while people who pay later pay even more.

It's a marketing ploy. It doesn't actually save you anything.

Your post is interesting. You zealously post only in this thread(all your replies are for it), all with zealous determination to defend the Vita start.
Methinks someone is getting paid by this 50million marketing budget. After all, viral marketing is something companies are trying quite a bit.

This thing will be a blast if it's jailbroken.
I don't really understand why these companies insist on making consoles/handhelds so that you basically need to jailbreak them.

I'm already skipping the 3DS, skipping the Vita kinda hurts. But those prices I simply won't support.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Haunsel said:
Lumines Electronic Symphony and a Wifi version - $289.99. Try to do some research before you make hyperbolic statements.
He said "almost." That seems to still fit.

However, I'm curious. I didn't see this bundle anywhere when I looked for it specifically. What all does it entail?

Haunsel said:
Yes, clearly despite giving it one of the best launch lineups in the history of gaming, making it incredibly affordable for what it can do, rolling out a permanent discount on digital sales (the only games company in history to do that), they have clearly done so much wrong for it, like........
A good launch lineup can't save poor planning. The conditional "for what it can do" is a hint, and you said it yourself.

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
Unfortunately, I don't even think that fifty million they put on the advertising will be made back, even when you ignore production costs, etc. That's a very large number - and the last thing I remember grossing that much money is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
I would imagine, like console sales that they dont plan on making back their marketing and production budgets on the hardware sales alone. More like, get as many PSV's out there as possible and slowly make money on software sales.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Nyaoku said:
Put Monster Hunter on it. Then I might buy one. Untill then, consider me still mad for the Wii exclusive.
The irony is that this would probably work rather well in Japan.

The Portable series put the PSP's sales through the roof in Japan. I believe it's had the same effect on the 3DS. Given the announced titles for the latter however, I doubt we'll be seeing a Vita game any time soon.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Frozengale said:
AND suddenly 50 million will be wasted.
If you are going to waste 50 million why not give it to ME!

EDIT- actually that might work. IF you give 50 million to random person in the name of the Vita it will cause so much "WTF" press that people might actually want to buy it.
That would be a bitchin marketing campaign but I don't think the people who do marketing for Sony would be too pleased. They can offend so many people with 50 mil. I'm betting that they start off by putting Butler in blackface.

I'm actually with Patcher on this: I would be more optimistic about the Vita if that 50 mil was going into support.
As of right now, the only people I can see buying the device are those who plan to hack it.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Instead of investing so much into marketing, a better marketing move would to use the money to lower the cost of the console and the overpriced memory card.

Ohh well, it looks like Sony wants to fail.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I thought of a better strategy, use those 50 million to make 50 vitas to come with a 1 million prize, they will sale like water in the desert.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
esperandote said:
I thought of a better strategy, use those 50 million to make 50 vitas to come with a 1 million prize, they will sale like water in the desert.
That probably would have worked with me.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Or just give a Vita to every gamer in America that actually wants one. They probably won't even go through the whole $50 million.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I wish I had 50 million to just throw on the ground and take a dump on, because that is pretty much what Sony will be doing with this money. It would be better spent paying people to take the vita hardware, then just trying to make money off the games. I have very few games on my PSP and feel it wasn't worth the money in the end. Vita doesn't interest me given my experience. Especially with the big PSP titles making their way to PS3 HD remasters...

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
FinalFreak16 said:
leet_x1337 said:
Unfortunately, I don't even think that fifty million they put on the advertising will be made back, even when you ignore production costs, etc. That's a very large number - and the last thing I remember grossing that much money is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
I would imagine, like console sales that they dont plan on making back their marketing and production budgets on the hardware sales alone. More like, get as many PSV's out there as possible and slowly make money on software sales.
What software? Like I said and you conveniently cut out of my post, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Persona 4 won't carry the entire system.

Haunsel

Feb 15, 2012
Quellist said:
If you plate platinum on a dog turd you still have a dog turd underneath. Sony is going to kill this with the digital distribution only crap. For them it might be a dream come true, to never be able to own software only be 'licensed' to use it until Sony decides it wants to pull the license with no refund (granted its not likely to occur on a regular basis but just look at Kindle with Orwells '1984' to see it can happen). Add to that 'proprietary' memory cards that are only expensive because Sony wants them to be expensive...

For customers this whole nonsense just doesn't wash, and not just because many of us like something physical to indicate our ownership.
It sells physical games. You may have noticed this by the fact that all game stores currently have physical Vita games in them.

Nice going straight to hyperbole - I'm sure one of these days one of your predictions will come true in a meaningful, non-completely out of perspective way.
Mahorfeus said:
Nyaoku said:
Put Monster Hunter on it. Then I might buy one. Untill then, consider me still mad for the Wii exclusive.
The irony is that this would probably work rather well in Japan.

The Portable series put the PSP's sales through the roof in Japan. I believe it's had the same effect on the 3DS. Given the announced titles for the latter however, I doubt we'll be seeing a Vita game any time soon.
If by soon you mean within about 3 months, then you're dead wrong, as its already been confirmed.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haunsel said:
Yes, clearly despite giving it one of the best launch lineups in the history of gaming, making it incredibly affordable for what it can do, rolling out a permanent discount on digital sales (the only games company in history to do that), they have clearly done so much wrong for it, like........
A good launch lineup can't save poor planning. The conditional "for what it can do" is a hint, and you said it yourself.
Poor planing of fucking what? These aren't some theoretical effects, its stuff that you can see in games available now.
Mr. Omega said:
Haunsel said:
Mr. Omega said:
It is ALMOST impossible to get a PS Vita and be able to play games on it for less than $300
Lumines Electronic Symphony and a Wifi version. Try to do some research before you make hyperbolic statements.
And maybe you should pay attention to the sentence before you try correcting someone.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haunsel said:
Lumines Electronic Symphony and a Wifi version - $289.99. Try to do some research before you make hyperbolic statements.
He said "almost." That seems to still fit.
Hot Shots, Wipeout, Shinobido, Army Corps of Hell, Rayman Origins - most of the launch lineup. You could throw a dart at the list of launch titles and get it and a WiFi Vita for under $300. This isn't "almost impossible", its more in the realms of "pretty damn simple".
zefiris said:
rolling out a permanent discount on digital sales (the only games company in history to do that)
A permanent discount. How cute. And how naive. They will just set the prices to how they would be if the discount didn't exist, plus the amount it discounts. They aren't actually giving you anything, just a nice feeling, while people who pay later pay even more.
Thank you for your explanation that is not in any way backed up by any evidence, nor even thought out in any clear way as it ignores the bloody obvious fact that the prices are discounted off the retail prices, not set and discounted arbitrarily. Still, nice attempt trying your best to spin a genuinely good thing as some evil malicious act.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Haunsel said:
Nice going straight to Orwellian hyperbole - I'm sure one of these days one of your predictions will come true in a meaningful, non-completely out of perspective way.
Excuse me but you entirely missed the point. Copies of 1984 were deleted from Kindles remotely by Amazon because they realiased that they (Amazon) did not hold copyright. The nature of the book itself is just an amusing aside. My point is a company deleted downloaded material from users devices remotely without consent.

There, not so hyperbolic after all eh?

*Edit* Also I notice you dont mention the propriety memory cards in your rebuttals. Not something even a fanboi can defend i guess...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
$50 million dollars also could just BUY VITAS FOR EVERYBODY and overall make sales more successful because why not buy a game for a system you happen to have?

THIS IS HOW THE PHONES ARE DOING IT, THEY GIVE THEM OUT SO THAT THEY CAN CHARGE YOU FOR USING IT

basic marketing, really