Sony Will Drop $50 Million on U.S. Vita Marketing

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I rather suspect that all they are doing is this:

But who knows, maybe the average American gamer is a lot dumber than I expect and will be overjoyed to spend an awful lot of money on a platform that's horribly restrictive and locked into Sony's bleh online store.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
theultimateend said:
The second this thing is jailbroken I'll buy one regardless of the asking price.
The hilarious thing is that their game sales for the PS3 weren't noticeably impacted when they removed the Other OS feature; the piracy continued on without them.

A more open platform would help Sony's cause in moving hardware, but they don't want to do that because it actually hurts them on each Vita sold (due to their Loss-leader strategy effectively subsidizing the cost of each Vita for the consumer).

Honestly, I could see them marketing the Vita as a PDA/Tablet competitor in a couple of years.
But that would actually require giving their customers some leeway in using the hardware they paid for, and that's a HUGE no-no for Sony.

Good hardware crippled by terrible business initiatives. If I had reigns on Sony, I'd consider marketing it as a launching system for a specialized gaming OS platform; something lighter than Windows for bloat and tailored for games, but open enough to develop apps and utilities on.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Atmos Duality said:
theultimateend said:
The second this thing is jailbroken I'll buy one regardless of the asking price.
The hilarious thing is that their game sales for the PS3 weren't noticeably impacted when they removed the Other OS feature; the piracy continued on without them.

A more open platform would help Sony's cause in moving hardware, but they don't want to do that because it actually hurts them on each Vita sold (due to their Loss-leader strategy effectively subsidizing the cost of each Vita for the consumer).

Honestly, I could see them marketing the Vita as a PDA/Tablet competitor in a couple of years.
But that would actually require giving their customers some leeway in using the hardware they paid for, and that's a HUGE no-no for Sony.

Good hardware crippled by terrible business initiatives. If I had reigns on Sony, I'd consider marketing it as a launching system for a specialized gaming OS platform; something lighter than Windows for bloat and tailored for games, but open enough to develop apps and utilities on.
Their game sales wouldn't be impacted even if piracy lessened. At best they might see reduced sales by reducing piracy.

Otherwise yeah, the big failure for the regular PSP was a lack of content. Jailbreaking it suddenly opened up an entire ERA of gaming to mobile. It was heavenly.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
So I'm guessing marcus will be doing a rap then? You know, I can get 2 r-type games in a bundle with optional 3d graphics that you can switch on and off while playing for $15. There is no excuse for these prices, except if every vita is made of solid gold or something.