Sony's Yoshida: Nintendo's Not Our Competition, Wii Need It

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony's Yoshida: Nintendo's Not Our Competition, Wii Need It

But the Wii U should never have been targeted at core gamers, Yoshida thinks.

"I have two Wii Us," says Sony's Shuhei Yoshida. "I play Wii U games with my daughters, because they make pretty fun family friendly games." Which, he thinks, is why the world - and particularly Sony - needs a strong, financially stable Nintendo. Get people playing games when they're young, build them up in the hobby, because those who play games as kids will go on to play more games as adults. On consoles other than the Wii U, seems to be Yoshida's unspoken message; but then, Yoshida isn't at all fond of Nintendo's original Wii U focus on core gamers.

"I think success or making mistakes depends on how you set your goal," he continues. "I don't know what was Nintendo's goal when they launched Wii U. To me, it was a bit confusing because what they do really well was create some very safe environment for anyone, especially children to enjoy games like induct those people who have never played games ever to become gamers. And they always do very well."

Except, when the Wii U debuted, the message wasn't 'family friendly' but 'core gamer', a change in style that, Yoshida believes, really didn't suit Nintendo. Those days are done, and the message is changing, but the console took an early hit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125118-Nintendo-Hoping-for-Strong-Wii-U-Holiday-Sales] that the company's still struggling with.

For that matter, it's not just Nintendo that Yoshida would prefer to see strong. "We need each other to create bigger stories," says he of Microsoft. Possibly he has one eye on reports that the next CEO might E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129442-Microsoft-CEO-Struggle-Report-Elop-Would-Sell-Xbox] be considered banter between friends?

But Sony still needs a strong Nintendo, so Yoshida's among those hoping that, come Christmas, the Wii U maker gets a financial boost. As well as Sony itself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129598-Sonys-Confident-It-Will-Sell-3-Mill-PS4s-By-Years-End], of course; the Profits Santa is going to be busy this year.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/12/ps4-sony-on-wii-u-changing-your-psn-name]

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Chaosritter said:
You know you fucked up when your once biggest competitor pities you so much that he advertises your stuff.
I watched the whole interview, it wasn't like that.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Karloff said:
"We need each other to create bigger stories," says he of Microsoft.
Like that big continual story of Sony kicking Microsoft in the balls.

Who else than Microsoft are going to willingly spread their legs?

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
I love Yoshida. He doesn't give a crap about people's petty console wars he loves the industry (and profiting from it) He has no hate for Nintendo and maybe for Microsoft. He really seems like a cool dude

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Poor Nintendo, they just can't win. Core gamers get mad because they market to kids, and fans get mad because they market to core gamers. Whenever they release a new Zelda they get hate for making a game that's the same, or they get hate for making a game that's different. Rhey must be under a voodoo curse or something.

The exception would be Other M, which I think everyone can agree was bad.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Fox12 said:
Poor Nintendo, they just can't win. Core gamers get mad because they market to kids, and fans get mad because they market to core gamers. Whenever they release a new Zelda they get hate for making a game that's the same, or they get hate for making a game that's different. Rhey must be under a voodoo curse or something.

The exception would be Other M, which I think everyone can agree was bad.

Nintendo has stable game IP. Mario, Link/Zelda, Samus, Pokemon, etc. As Fox points out we all know the games and their names. We grew up with Nintendo and that nostalgia hurts them as well as helps them. We remember the old games so we want more of the same, but then we wonder why we can't have something new.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SOny makes a reasonable comment. Microsoft makes a jab at "bigger stories". yeah.....

Fox12 said:
Rich Nintendo, they just can't win.
fixed this for you.
But yeah, Nintendo should have never went for the core market, they kinda dropped the ball with it long ago and trying to dictate reality really only works when you have kids who are already repressed by parents trying to do the same.

Arawn said:
Nintendo has stable game IP. Mario, Link/Zelda, Samus, Pokemon, etc. As Fox points out we all know the games and their names. We grew up with Nintendo and that nostalgia hurts them as well as helps them. We remember the old games so we want more of the same, but then we wonder why we can't have something new.
Not everyone wants more of the same. SOme people didnt want any to begin with.