Soooo.... James "AVGN" Rolfe is in the news this week..

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010

So yeah, homeboy posted that and... you can imagine it went over just about as well as anything else because ya know strangers can't have opinions on the internet.

I'm not going to see it either btw, because I didn't like the original Ghostbusters. :D

So... are we really at the point well attack someone as harmless as The Nerd? Has he ever done anything to anyone? As far I know, homeboy one of the few drama free internet guys that has his life pretty together. And then you got someone like Patton Oswalt giving him shit?

Put Ghostbusters to the side for a moment, this is nuts right?

Patton Oswalt's Tweet: https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/732634606982160388

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Might want to link said news. The comments on the video are supporting it. Hell, I'm supporting it, even though I'm not an AVGN fan.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Where's the outcry. It isn't in the YouTube comments. There's no Twitter hashtag that I can find. The only thing I could find was some poorly written article from a no-name website that posted a screenshot of a dozen or so Twitter comments, but that hardly counts as an attack, especially since James Rolfe probably deals with that on every video.

So what's the problem here?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Where's the outcry.
On Twitter. Mostly random noise, but Pat Oswalt showed his genius comedic abilities with this piece of comedy 'gold' [https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/732634606982160388]. I can only wonder how his show could have possibly been cancelled /sarcasm

Also the guy who called GamerGate worst then ISIS also complained about it.

Those two together are enough to make people notice. Of course it just makes people have their opinions on the two fall further due to the fact James didn't say a single irrational thing in his video, but hey career suicide is always fun to watch, especially in this day and age where so many in Hollywood and the entertainment industry as a whole have apparently made it their goal to do so.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zontar said:
MysticSlayer said:
Where's the outcry.
On Twitter. Mostly random noise, but Pat Oswalt showed his genius comedic abilities with this piece of comedy 'gold' [https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/732634606982160388]. I can only wonder how his show could have possibly been cancelled /sarcasm
This bums me out. I really like him, but he clearly is missing AVGN's point about not feeding money to a movie he is likely to not like, especially since movies really tend to measure quality by money made, not actual opinions.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Saelune said:
Might want to link said news. The comments on the video are supporting it. Hell, I'm supporting it, even though I'm not an AVGN fan.
It's a few tweets on twitter I saw, Patton Oswalt... the main place I read it from was THAT reddit.

And honestly my reputation around these parts isn't the best, if I link to that thread I may as well just expose my belly for the Discordian society to brand me with the scarlet letter.

Whoops, did I just break the fourth wall? Hi Colt Cabana! how ya doing?

But yeah, I learned of this supposed "outrage" there so take it with however grain of salts you deem necessary. I probably wouldn't even bother to touch the salt shaker. I don't even respect it enough to link it, I just wanted to be the one to make the thread first. Yeah... I'm that guy now.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Are they calling him a misogynistic **** on Twitter? They're calling him a misogynistic **** on Twitter, aren't they? Fuck Twitter. Twitter fights aren't news.

In any case, his video seems very reasonable, with the main point being that he would've liked to see the old cast introduce a new cast and kick start a new line of Ghostbusters movies. He wants there to be a transition and people involved with Ghostbusters have been squandering that opportunity apparently for years. Fair enough. He's even honest enough that he holds the possibility that it might be good.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I saw this video a few days ago and I didn't think anything about it. How anyone would be mad over this is astounding. He was well reasoned in his arguments and quite inoffensive.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
So we're getting to the point where we're getting salty overy people getting salty over someone getting salty.

When will this wheel of sodium end.
Justified, appropriate salt is good. A life without salt would be bland. His video was justifyingly salty, the reaction wasn't, hence it is wrong, hence calling it out is also good. The good salt fights the bad.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
With the resurrection of the Roman Empire, once enough is created to pay for the legions wages.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
So to quote Jay Sherman: "If the movie stinks just don't go".

That's what I've been doing for all these films lately.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
And no one cares about Ernie Hudson
Oi, you're assuming a lot with that statement buddy!

On Topic: Am I the only one getting kind of worn out by how stupid reactions to things are getting these days? I mean there's only so much outrage I can take before I just get bored of it as well.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
Honestly, when you have an entire Internets worth of nerds willing to sit through and review 4 (4!) Abortions of transformers movies, going on two awful tmnt movies, and every other God awful reboot and remake

But "suddenly" this is the straw that breaks the camels back? Yeah, people have the right to call shenanigans on that.

Besides, this is Ghostbusters. A franchise with one decent cult classic, one awful sequel, and a cartoon series ranging from passable to awful.

A sacred cow this is not.

Harold ramis is dead. Dan Aykroyd is so morbidly unfunny I wish he died instead. Bill Murray is probably nude hiking around the himalayas on opium. And no one cares about Erie Hudson, not even the rest of the cast. Good luck getting them back together solely because of your childhood.
Except James Rolf clearly states in many movies that he is a massive GB fan. Also, you may not like GB, but it has a massive following to this day, is widely recognised by non fans as well. So, yeah, this is a popular franchise. Many of us DO think of it as a sacred cow...

(PS, you may not like them, but the second movie wasn't bad, it was okay. The Cartoon I grew up with and I think is still pretty good - especially when you consider it was a 1980's cartoon and actually stayed true to much of the GB property.)

So yes this may be the straw that breaks the camels back, because 1st transformers, then TMNT and now GB. So maybe a lot of us finally HAVE had enough. (Let alone that for the majority of the reboots, many of us (don't lie) each time crossed our fingers that this one would be good.)

All his points in the movie I agree with, all of them. From tone, to characters, to effects... it all looks awful. Maybe the movie will not suck. Maybe two trailers have shown us a bad version of the film (I call unlikely). We shall see.

Your final paragraph has nothing to do with the comments by James Rolf and seems to mainly be personal commentary... I dunno, seemed massively out of place in the discussion. So, meh to that bit.

Slightly off topic myself, play Ghostbusters the video game: Decent and uses most of the plot from the GB3 movie they wanted to do, has the original voice cast, plays pretty well actually and I had a lot of fun with. As it's like ?6 on Steam, use your money for that, not the film. Please (winning/pleading smile)

K12

Dec 28, 2012
So complaining about this decision is bad but it's totally reasonable to berate a reviewer for only playing the first 30 hours of a 40 hour game before reviewing it?

In all seriousness everyone complains about everything and that's fine (unless people are acting being arseholes to each other). I think if his main reason to not watch it is that it's piggy-backing off the popularity of a well loved classic and it doesn't look very good based off the trailers then... welcome to the film industry.

It's totally his choice and there'll be no shortage of 30-something film geeks tearing the new film to shreds when it comes out. He at least resisted using the word boycott (even though that's what he's doing)

I really don't get the reverence for Ghostbusters, it's good but I don't think it feels like a classic to anyone that wasn't 12ish when it first came out.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Are they calling him a misogynistic **** on Twitter? They're calling him a misogynistic **** on Twitter, aren't they? Fuck Twitter. Twitter fights aren't news.
Well, obviously. The only reason anyone dislikes this film is because they're misogynists. It has nothing to do with the racist stereotypes, unfunny jokes, or that it looks to be just plain bad.

undeadsuitor said:
So we're getting to the point where we're getting salty overy people getting salty over someone getting salty.

Sorry. My salt shaker must have spilled. How much salty do you have to throw over your shoulder if you spilled 673,000 tons?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Cowabungaa said:

In any case, his video seems very reasonable, with the main point being that he would've liked to see the old cast introduce a new cast and kick start a new line of Ghostbusters movies. He wants there to be a transition and people involved with Ghostbusters have been squandering that opportunity apparently for years. Fair enough. He's even honest enough that he holds the possibility that it might be good.
He's also an MRA apparently.

EDIT: Different link because I can't seem to embed tweets to save my life -_-

http://archive.is/f337w

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
AVGN is not a stranger to drama, to be completely honest. Just a quick google search of his past controversies shows him to be kind of a dick.

OT: This isn't news, neoprogressives and SJWs would gladly cannibalise one of their own in order to make sure that everyone believes in their mantra, as they have done numerous times in the past. There is nothing innocent or sacred for them, so this doesn't surprise me; nothing matters to them as much their cause being made impeccable and truthful regardless of how it clashes with reality, like how, say, the new Ghostbusters looks boring as all hell.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Oh look, a load of jokes about Patton Oswalt's wife being dead. Including one from ex-Escapist Scrumpmonkey. How did Twitter get to this point?

There's a similar unwatched video in my feed from Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob) about not wanting to review the film. I don't know yet whether he's joking or serious, but if it is a joke then it looks like the fans have ruined it once again.

EDIT: Hahahahahaha, he was talking about Dog Fucker. God damn it, Brad.