Soooo.... James "AVGN" Rolfe is in the news this week..

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
People will get angry at anything, it's the internet. I wouldn't say James is "in the news", this is hardly newsworthy.

I think his stance is a good one. He doesn't want to watch it out of spite just to tear it to pieces, he doesn't want to contribute to the massive hate train. He just doesn't want to be a part of it, and that's GREAT. He's just refusing to watch something, and that's the best thing you can do.

If Ghostbusters 2016 flops then it'll send a message. Hopefully the message won't be "people don't want to see women in films", but rather "people don't want to see endless cash-grabs". Though it remains to be seen if they will just go with the first option, I mean this is the film industry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hooboy. A few people on Twitter didn't like his video and it's news.

Saelune said:
This bums me out. I really like him, but he clearly is missing AVGN's point about not feeding money to a movie he is likely to not like, especially since movies really tend to measure quality by money made, not actual opinions.
Or, you know, he knows Rolfe's history of being a histrionic manbaby with issues with women, and maybe you don't.

Or, possibly, you don't care.

*shrug*

I wouldn't start in on the "I really like X, but I can't believe he reacted negatively to someone who actively hates people like me," but that's just me.

undeadsuitor said:
So we're getting to the point where we're getting salty overy people getting salty over someone getting salty.

When will this wheel of sodium end.
I'm confused. "getting to?"

Phasmal said:
But when will this never ending parade of whining about the new Ghostbusters end?
When they announce a "real" remake without women.

I'm not saying it'd be a good movie, but most of the complaints would dry up reeeeeeeal fast.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Damn, Patton Oswalt is an asshole. Or maybe he just felt extra grumpy yesterday.

That's about all I got out of this. A few mean comments on Twitter isn't really newsworthy to me, even if it's from a high-profile name.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Excuse if I'm out of touch with the modern times, but, since when being mentioned in Twitter is "being in the news"?

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Hooboy. A few people on Twitter didn't like his video and it's news.

Saelune said:
This bums me out. I really like him, but he clearly is missing AVGN's point about not feeding money to a movie he is likely to not like, especially since movies really tend to measure quality by money made, not actual opinions.
Or, you know, he knows Rolfe's history of being a histrionic manbaby with issues with women, and maybe you don't.

Or, possibly, you don't care.

*shrug*

I wouldn't start in on the "I really like X, but I can't believe he reacted negatively to someone who actively hates people like me," but that's just me.

undeadsuitor said:
So we're getting to the point where we're getting salty overy people getting salty over someone getting salty.

When will this wheel of sodium end.
I'm confused. "getting to?"

Phasmal said:
But when will this never ending parade of whining about the new Ghostbusters end?

I'm not saying it'd be a good movie, but most of the complaints would dry up reeeeeeeal fast.
Whatever you think about his stance, he at least made it without making personal attacks on anyone, I dont know what calling him a manbaby is meant to achieve.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Bucket said:
Whatever you think about his stance, he at least made it without making personal attacks on anyone, I dont know what calling him a manbaby is meant to achieve.
Accurate description of a guy who has had tantrums in the past and will in the future?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good for him, I guess? I mean, his stuff like "Oh no now we have to attach a year to the original" seems like a dumb point, but oh well.

Barbas said:
Oh look, a load of jokes about Patton Oswalt's wife being dead. Including one from ex-Escapist Scrumpmonkey.

Even when I found myself agreeing with him on here, he had a tendency to be a bit of an arse making his point.

Apr 24, 2008
*Gasp*

Hang on to your preferred narrative, folks.

Is this "thick noisy saliva" bit working on some offensive stereotype I'm unaware of or is he actually just being snarky about the audio quality?

I don't see what was so bad about the tweet, and he seems to be accepting that he might have been harsh. He seems to be missing the point of the video, but whatever.

Nothing to see here.

Something Amyss said:

A gut feeling or you actually know something?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
It was a bit of a dick thing for Patton to say, but he's already come out on twitter and said that he picked the wrong target. It sounds to me like he was pissed in general and saw somebody to fire at without really thinking about whether AVGN actually deserved it.

A quick google search of "Rolfe's history of being a histrionic manbaby with issues with women" returned no hits, so it seems unlikely that affected Patton's choice.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
Strangers can't have opinions on the internet.
Uh huh. What is it you say five sentences later?

DudeistBelieve said:
Then you got someone like Patton Oswalt giving him shit?
So, what are the rules here? It sounds like you don't have a problem with Mr. Rolfe having an opinion on the internet, but you do have one with Mr. Oswalt having one. Which opinions on the internet are people allowed to have opinions on the internet about?

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Who is Patton Oswalt?
I haven't seen an AVGN or Cinemassacre video in awhile, it was great hearing his voice again, i enjoy the original movie but i'm not particularly close to the franchise, the new film just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I guess I can extrapolate what the reality is from that.

Thanks for replying.
I wasn't aware any extrapolation was necessary.

JimB said:
So, what are the rules here? It sounds like you don't have a problem with Mr. Rolfe having an opinion on the internet, but you do have one with Mr. Oswalt having one. Which opinions on the internet are people allowed to have opinions on the internet about?
Generally "can't have an opinion/can't say anything" comes down to "can't say something without being criticised for it."

This appears to be one of the most important tenets of internet free speech. The right to say anything without criticism. So it's okay to have an opinion, just not on someone else's opinion.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Patton Oswalt's twitter comments remind me why I never use the site. Christ almighty, people are sick.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I generally agree with his message (after the first two Transformers, I didn't watch any more) but on the other hand, his whole shtick is reviewing shit, so hypocrisy much? Oh, and don't give me that "muh Ghostbusters" crap, you didn't mind reviewing shitty GB games.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
The "Outcry" is nothing more than a bunch of whiny feminazi's crying about "Misogyny" because he dared to call a movie with a shit trailer, shit, but of course because it has an all female cast it must receive perfect scores

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
AVGN is still around? I thought he quit doing his AVGN thing a couple years ago. Nice to see he is still around.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
cikame said:
Who is Patton Oswalt?
Stand-up comedian (and my favorite ever), actor, writer. Go hit Wikipedia or IMDb or something if you want a resume.

paiged

May 23, 2008
I don't see what's so upsetting about what AVGN said.

Also, even as a woman I find it ridiculous that they specifically went with all women for the reboot...Not because I don't think women can be Ghostbusters, but because it feels forced (this could also be more to do with the specific actresses and the dialog that we've seen in the trailer, though).

I don't think it's unreasonable for him to announce he won't do a review. Maybe he just could have issued a statement on social media or his website instead of having a whole video dedicated to it...but the guy's whole online persona is based around this sort of thing, so is it really anything new?