Sorry Force Awakens Fans, EA Says Battlefront is Original Trilogy Era Only

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
wow, I feel increasingly dumb for purchasing this game after a long-held hatred of it. I hated the politics and the economics behind the whole project, but then I played it at a friend's house and actually had a lot of fun, and isn't that what gaming is about? so I bought it. and not once have they vindicated that purchase. ugh. scummy bastards. EA is lucky that Konami has been so shitty this year.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ Dalton said:
On the downside, we won't get to play any of the new movie settings.
What new movie settings? Not-Tatooine, Not-Mos Eisley or Not-Death Star?
I try to justify the similarity by keeping one thing in mind: it's always supposed to have been similar. as Lucas himself said, it's like Poetry, it rhymes. and watching the movie with that in mind, knowing that abrahms could have gone off that course, but chose not too, KNOWING that some fans would find issue with it... I think it shows a dedication to the material and the vision.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Have they added bots and a singleplayer campaign into the game, yet? If the answer is still no then none of this is relevant. I wouldn't even consider it news. Just a random collection of words that reaffirms the game isn't worth my, or anyone else's, time.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Irridium said:
Wait but Battlefront 2 already exists. And it covers the prequels. And the original trilogy. And a campaign spanning both timelines and a period in-between to let them do stormtroopers vs. clones and stormtroopers vs. droids. And a Galactic Campaign mode which lets you play as rebels, clones, empire, or droids and conquer the galaxy. And it has space battles. And fun modes like Hunt which lets you play as a planet's indigenous species or as the people trying to kill them. You can literally just kill tons of Gun-guns if you wanted.
I find it amusing on some level that both Battlefront 1 and 2 are near-literally 1/2 prequel content, are both highly-beloved games, and yet there are people who are thinking "At least Battlefront EA is Prequel content free" as if the lack of prequel content is somehow a major selling point and that to include it would be a major reason people would want to avoid the game.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hahahahahaha... so, "they'll add it with Season Pass" people, what did I tell you? I told you those fucking pricks from EA are making a bare skeleton of a Battlefront game and selling it to you for a price of two fully fledged games and you didn't believe me.
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ Dalton said:
You forgot Not-Yavin.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
martyrdrebel27 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ Dalton said:
I try to justify the similarity by keeping one thing in mind: it's always supposed to have been similar. as Lucas himself said, it's like Poetry, it rhymes. and watching the movie with that in mind, knowing that abrahms could have gone off that course, but chose not too, KNOWING that some fans would find issue with it... I think it shows a dedication to the material and the vision.
I'll counter it with the argument that there is a story that basically retells the original trilogy, but does it in a fresh way so the rehashing is nowhere near as obvious as the Force Awakens. The name of that story is Knights of the Old Republic. Somehow a canadian game dev could do it in a more subtle way than Abrams and his crew.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
RealRT said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ Dalton said:
I'll counter it with the argument that there is a story that basically retells the original trilogy, but does it in a fresh way so the rehashing is nowhere near as obvious as the Force Awakens. The name of that story is Knights of the Old Republic. Somehow a canadian game dev could do it in a more subtle way than Abrams and his crew.
i'll re-counter with the recognition that you can be a lot more subtle in a hundred hour RPG than you can in a 2 hour film.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
martyrdrebel27 said:
RealRT said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ Dalton said:
i'll re-counter with the recognition that you can be a lot more subtle in a hundred hour RPG than you can in a 2 hour film.
I'll re-re-counter that with the fact that the way elements were presented has nothing to do with the game's longevity. Take Star Forge as an example. Star Forge is a stand-in for Death Star as the ultimate weapon space thingamajig - but it's not a planet destroyer, but rather a factory of tremendous power and it looks different visually as well. Why couldn't they do something like this instead of copying Death Star beat-for-beat?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Given that Jakku was intended specifically to tie things with the new trilogy, surely this isn't the case even if they intend it to be.

Oh, and just give me a new Rogue Squadron game, dammit. I don't even care if it retreads the battles in 1-3.

RJ Dalton said:
On the downside, we won't get to play any of the new movie settings. But on the plus-side, we won't have to be reminded of the prequels.

You win some, you lose some.
I dunno. Between possibly getting to use the Naboo shuttle and the option of shooting Gungans, I like the idea of the prequels being included.

Eclipse Dragon said:
And Square Enix said over and over again that there wasn't going to be a Final Fantasy 7 remake.
Now, THAT I wish wasn't happening.

They're not shooting down the possibility, if ever I've heard corporate speak, this translates to "Not right now, but in a future installment, you got it!"
Right, meaning we get them in the sequel they're already working on, despite not having finished this game yet. And given how limited the content is, we're likely to end up in a scenario where the next game gets minimal/limited support. I bought this game in part because all my friends have it. When Battlefront 2 comes out, I'ma bet that number drops to about zero.

Elfgore said:
Just want to point out to everyone that the game is barely a month old and it was already on sale on PSN for forty bucks. Shows you how well the game is doing. The sale wasn't on Cyber Monday or Black Friday either.
If we're using that as a metric, there aren't many games doing well on PSN, period. Just Cause 3 and Rock Band 4 are, apparently.

Li Mu said:
I imagine it's something to do with licensing.
They have the whole shebang liscensed

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
This seems an off marketing decision in many ways. While the Prequel Movies themselves were loathed, anything related to the Clone Troopers was and continues to be merchandising gold. Betweeb the differing armor and personal paint schemes, the ability for players to play as the "good guy" variants of Storm Troopers. The shear depth that they gave to the Clone Forces and Vehicles post movies it seems foolish to leave all of that on the table. Plus why leave out the visceral indulgence of shooting GunGuns for target practice?

The same with the new stuff. We have at least 5 "sides" shown in TFA. With distinct armor and gear. So why for their tactical shooter game, limit themselves to the dullest most generic time period for that type of gameplay and content?