Sorry Force Awakens Fans, EA Says Battlefront is Original Trilogy Era Only

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sorry Force Awakens Fans, EA Says Battlefront is Original Trilogy Era Only

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/679889118759763970]

A Tweet from Electronic Arts has confirmed that Star Wars: Battlefront will focus remain original trilogy only even after the success of The Force Awakens.

We've long known that DICE and Electronic Arts don't have any plans to add units and content from the Star Wars prequels to their recent reboot <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/15009-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Review-Electronic-Arts-and-DICE-s-Space-Ba>of Star Wars: Battlefront. With the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens however, many gamers could perhaps be excused for assuming that the game might capitalize on the new film with some new era <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161444-EA-Reveals-Star-Wars-Battlefronts-Season-Pass-Contents>DLC. According EA'S official Star Wars Twitter account however, that won't be the case.

Responding to a fan's question, Electronic Arts has reiterated that Battlefront will be original trilogy era only. More specifically, the fan asked if there will be any Episode VII content in the next batch of DLC for the game. Writing back, EA said that the game's development team "is focusing on the original trilogy for this release of Star Wars Battlefront." You could point to the recent Jakku release as contradicting this but, then again, that was still based within the rough time period of the original trilogy.

While this stance isn't necessarily surprising given EA and DICE's decision to keep Battlefront <a href=http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2015/04/star-wars-battlefront-will-not-feature.html>prequel free, it does raise some interesting possibilities for the <a href=http://www.techtimes.com/articles/107566/20151117/ea-confirms-star-wars-battlefront-sequels.htm>already planned sequels to the popular multiplayer shooter. For instance, perhaps Battlefront 2 will focus its attention exclusively on the new sequels. Then, when they've exhausted all of that content, Battlefront 3 could give us a game based around the famous battles from the prequels (and the Clone Wars TV show please). While you could make a valid argument that EA and DICE should just release updates to the current Battlefront, I'm going to go ahead and say that, if they feel they have to release sequels, I'd actually like that approach. It would allow the current Battlefront to stay relevant while also giving fans a chance to dip their toes in different periods of the Star Wars universe. What do you guys think?

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/679889118759763970>Twitter

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
On the downside, we won't get to play any of the new movie settings. But on the plus-side, we won't have to be reminded of the prequels.

You win some, you lose some.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
And Square Enix said over and over again that there wasn't going to be a Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Writing back, EA said that the game's development team "is focusing on the original trilogy for this release of Star Wars Battlefront."
They're not shooting down the possibility, if ever I've heard corporate speak, this translates to "Not right now, but in a future installment, you got it!"

Let's hope the force of money drives them to the light rather than the dark side, but it's EA, so I'm not making any bets.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
"I'd actually like that approach. It would allow the current Battlefront to stay relevant while also giving fans a chance to dip their toes in different periods of the Star Wars universe. What do you guys think?"

You sure about that? That a company like EA would try keep the first game alive and relevant alongside a sequel and not just cut all support for it along whatever else they can do to subtly force people to move onto the next sequel to make max money there. Granted Battlefield 3 is still going well (I think, just blind assumption here) along with number 4 though, I guess its just a case of you never know with a company like EA, we're definitely going to pay $60 plus whatever the season pass will be for the actual full experience every time though ugh.

But not to be a sour Sally, an individual game fully focusing on each period could work nicely especially if they go a bit more all out, maybe even dip into the more popular parts of EU a bit even though its non-canon just for the fun of it, I wouldn't mind a Kyle Katarn hero cameo or so haha

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Don't worry EA, we knew you guys were cheap hacks who couldn't possibly put in any effort if it didn't mean squeezing an extra 120 dollars out of a fanbase. We know you're currently busy with your "embarrassment of riches" for 2017. Maybe Battlefront 4 will feature 5 maps at launch and just a reasonable 200 dollars worth of DLC by the end of 2020, featuring the new trilogy.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well of course theyre not going to put prequel content in, that way EA can sell us another $110 game after theyre done with the current one.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"This release"?

They already have the Jakku map. Maybe they're only talking about the first DLC?

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Include Episode 7 stuff?

And risk having enough content to warrant the price tag?

Never.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Blitsie said:
"I'd actually like that approach. It would allow the current Battlefront to stay relevant while also giving fans a chance to dip their toes in different periods of the Star Wars universe. What do you guys think?"

You sure about that? That a company like EA would try keep the first game alive and relevant alongside a sequel and not just cut all support for it along whatever else they can do to subtly force people to move onto the next sequel to make max money there. Granted Battlefield 3 is still going well (I think, just blind assumption here) along with number 4 though, I guess its just a case of you never know with a company like EA, we're definitely going to pay $60 plus whatever the season pass will be for the actual full experience every time though ugh.

But not to be a sour Sally, an individual game fully focusing on each period could work nicely especially if they go a bit more all out, maybe even dip into the more popular parts of EU a bit even though its non-canon just for the fun of it, I wouldn't mind a Kyle Katarn hero cameo or so haha
Yeah, obviously that would be a best case scenario, but as you say: it's EA.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Just want to point out to everyone that the game is barely a month old and it was already on sale on PSN for forty bucks. Shows you how well the game is doing. The sale wasn't on Cyber Monday or Black Friday either.

Anyway, what a shocker. I look forward to Battlefront 4 that will be nothing but the prequels and then Battlefront 5 that will be nothing but the new movies.(So pretty much Battlefront 3 with a reskin)

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
But on the plus-side, we won't have to be reminded of the prequels
what are you talking about m8
it would be fucking sick if they put in coruscant or a setting like that from the prequels

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Goddamnit EA, you stupid dicks. Like another poster said above, Clone Wars/Prequels and Episode VII onwards will likely be separate releases at 110 each. This deal is getting worse all the time! And an unnecessary splitting of the potential player-base. I see no longevity in this current model.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ Dalton said:
On the downside, we won't get to play any of the new movie settings.
What new movie settings? Not-Tatooine, Not-Mos Eisley or Not-Death Star?
The forest planet seemed closer to Yavin 4 and the Not-Death Star does look different outside of the bases so there is that.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
And Square Enix said over and over again that there wasn't going to be a Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Writing back, EA said that the game's development team "is focusing on the original trilogy for this release of Star Wars Battlefront."
They're not shooting down the possibility, if ever I've heard corporate speak, this translates to "Not right now, but in a future installment, you got it!"

Let's hope the force of money drives them to the light rather than the dark side, but it's EA, so I'm not making any bets.
Sure, they could ADD it to the actual game through DLC with probably a minimum of cost and effort on their part but instead they're gonna make it into a completely separate game for $60 with another $50 Season Pass. They're gonna milk it, same with the prequels as well I bet.

Apr 28, 2008
Wait but Battlefront 2 already exists. And it covers the prequels. And the original trilogy. And a campaign spanning both timelines and a period in-between to let them do stormtroopers vs. clones and stormtroopers vs. droids. And a Galactic Campaign mode which lets you play as rebels, clones, empire, or droids and conquer the galaxy. And it has space battles. And fun modes like Hunt which lets you play as a planet's indigenous species or as the people trying to kill them. You can literally just kill tons of Gun-guns if you wanted.

Not sure how they managed to push out a sequel so soon though. And at $10 too. Bold move. Graphics are nowhere near as good but it has like 10x the content though so that's nice.

Okay I'm done being snarky. But if they're gonna try to replace the old Battlefront games then they need to either match it in terms of content or quality and with Battlefront 2015 the only things it's got over the old ones is it looks a lot better and it has easy-to-get-into multiplayer. But the old ones had all that stuff I mentioned above. So, you know.