Soul Calibur: Lost Swords - No Multiplayer Due to "Pay-To-Win Model"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so ... they KNEW it was a bad idea ...

and did it anyway ... and removed the true life blood of the game ...

what?!

just ... what?! ...

Guess its a good thing I haven't cared about this series since Soul Calibur 3

Think I need to go lay down now though, the stupidity on display here is hurting my brain

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Soul Calibur: Lost Swords had it's multiplayer mode cut due to concerns over it's "pay-to-win" microtransaction model.
Does anyone proofread this stuff before it goes online? I only ask because I gouge holes in my desk when I see misplaced possessive apostrophes.

OT: I swear, that quote from the developer has got to be a translation. I can't think of why anyone would admit upfront to designing a game around 'pay to win'.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Jandau said:
Soooo... did it ever occur to them to segregate the singleplayer and multiplayer to some extent to prevent Pay 2 Win in MP? Or did their brains start melting whenever someone brought up Multiplayer WITHOUT exploitative business models, so they decided to just cut it instead?
This. I don't play Soul Caibur, but isn't there... like... default equipment they can just force for Multiplayer matches?

Either way, fighting game - multiplayer = dead-in-the-water game. There are very few games nowadays that can get away without Multiplayer, and fighting games are DEFINITELY not one of them.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Yeah... I'm not buying this. Multiplayer is basically the only reason to play fighting games.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Micalas said:
Why would anyone "pay to win" in a single player game?
I read the article the other day then turned on my PS3 to download and try it out. Seems the game plays the add on RPG game they had back in Soul Caliber III (or was it II?) Your character starts off naked. Yes, I chose the samurai and I had only a pair of boxers and a sword. Then you're thrown into a match against a fully clothed series of guys (and girls). Win each fight for a treasure chest.You only have a single life bar, so damage from each round carries over. The only saving grace is you can switch places with an ally (random avatar of other characters)when the special gauge fills up. Take down the the boss at the end and you get to open the chest and get your prizes.Namely clothes, new weapons, and crystals. The clothes give you more HP, bonuses to damage, and defense bonuses (element). Weapons let you do more damage, but also have elements. The elements work like rock, paper, scissors. There's fire, water,wind, light, and darkness. Pretty simple stuff. The crystals are used to upgrade weapons and clothes (armor). That's the game in a nutshell. You grind through fights for treasure chest to get better gear so you can grind through the better areas for better gear. But wait, you can't just keep fighting all willy-nilly. You have AP (I forget what it stands for, but I guess it's action points) which you spend everytime you accept a quest. AP refills over time, very slowly of course. So yeah, you can pay for premium chest for better gear or you can pay for faster AP refills (potions). A very much Pay 2 win system. Fun to some extent, but if you need real money to get new characters I wouldn't play it. It's almost like a tablet game.