Soul Calibur: Lost Swords - No Multiplayer Due to "Pay-To-Win Model"

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
What is happening to you, Namco? First, Ace Combat, then Soul Calibur... Bring us back our good old franchises, dammit!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Disable the gear properties and make it purely cosmetic for Multiplayer? That can't be too hard to do in theory... something they should have addressed before release.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
I can't help but wonder if there's a translation issue here. Masaaki Hoshino does seem like he's using "pay-to-win" without being aware of the negative stigma that it carries over in the west.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
If they absolutely had to have it, couldn't they simply have made the pay-to-win aspect single-player only and just let the multiplayer be a lever playing field?

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I am... literally beyond words...
I've never heard a dev literally admit they were going with a pay to win model, let alone cutting what's usually the selling point of any fighting game FOR THE PURPOSE of maintaining that pay to win model....
I just... I never thought I'd see the day...

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
The hell...
So they have a game that could benefit from current technology by allowing online multiplayer just like Marvel Vs Capcom or Street Fighter.

Instead they butcher the starting roster down to make the micro transactions necessary, tag prices onto everything else and don't innovate by including one of the most consumer convenient changes in the fighting genre in the last decade...

What the hell? Won't pay to win reduce the longevity of the game anyway?...

Also who were they interviewing, Sophitia, Siegfried, and Mitsurugi are all returning characters, not just Sophitia.

Oh Soul Calibur, I've loved you since I first played you on a Dreamcast all those years ago. I'll miss you.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Wow, just wow...if at the end of the interview Masaaki Hoshino had turned round and said 'We had a bullshit explanation for this that I was supposed to tell you all to calm things down a bit, but my friends I'm so fucking high right now I couldn't care less' I wouldn't have been surprised.....radical honesty 4tw I guess...

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
So anyone who buys this came is a massive idiot doing damage to the industry. And the devs are slime.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Kilo24 said:
I can't help but wonder if there's a translation issue here. Masaaki Hoshino does seem like he's using "pay-to-win" without being aware of the negative stigma that it carries over in the west.
I feel like this is almost certainly what happened. Either he's unaware of the connotations or the phrase is used so often in development meetings, it just kinda slipped into his speech.

Pay-to-win is odious in any case, but in a genre which has traditionally prided itself on producing games with radically different characters which are still balanced, its particularly obnoxious. For all that people complain about on-disc DLC characters and Super-hyper-turbo editions in fighting games, if the company absolutely has to gouge me, these are all infinitely preferable shady business tactics to pay-to-win.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Last I checked it was May 20th not the first of April. Is this a mistranslation, or something or has he been reading the EA guide to PR and business?

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
*scratches head*

huh.

I mean, at least they're being honest for once, right? That's almost respectable. Almost.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
I think this whole thread sums up my thoughts nicely.

I'm just utterly confused... It turns out that this game is actually a free to play game and is strictly singleplayer. So it doesn't impact anyone's experience... Now that's a load of whatever stinks, I can tell you that for free.

I take it they don't know about certain free to play singleplayer games that beg and cajole other people?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well at least they offer some honesty even in their darkest hours of complete madness...
Obviously don't buy their stupid piece of nonsense, just enjoy the entertainment value their glass shard tumble of development provides.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm going to be honest: as long as the microtransaction crap isn't too intrusive into the single player game(i.e. I can enjoy the game without having to pay extra money), I might still consider getting this. Other than when I had roommates, I've always played Soul Calibur single player anyway and was highly disappointed in the "story" mode for Soul Calibur V after the previous couple of games. If this somewhat inexplicable shift away from the main point of fighting games(competitive multiplayer gaming) results in a better single player experience, I might accidentally fall into the intended(?) audience for this game.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Couldn't they have just added in some cheat codes for single player that don't work in multiplayer? They could even sell them if they insist on wringing out every penny from their customers. $1 for an hour of double attack strength? $5 for enhanced boob physics? $100 for the often rumoured nude code?