Soul Calibur: Lost Swords - No Multiplayer Due to "Pay-To-Win Model"

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
This is really really dumb.
And it's happening to my favorite fighting franchise too, which saddens me.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I don't know how to feel about this.

Admitting you did something terrible to avoid doing something else terrible seems like it cancels out the honesty.

And I can't believe we're now at a point where developers are openly talking about how they're intentionally creating "pay-to-win" microtransaction schemes for their games.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Foolishness aside, what really gets me is how exactly would one have a pay-to-win model in a game that is (more or less) based on skill? I haven't played since SC:3, so did they add items that change stats since then or something?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
So they miss the point of fighting games by removing multiplayer, and they also miss the point as far as doing free to play games well by creating a pay to win model? So basically, Namco doesn't know what they're doing and have killed Soul Calibur? Well, finally put it down might be more accurate.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I just... I don't even... what?!?!

I'm, uh, I'm just gonna back away slowly and come back after I have some time to sort out what I just read.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you Namco?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I don't get it. If you know a repulsive feature will break your game then why would you put that feature in to begin with?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
If they know it pay to win then why don't they use a different different payment model that's not pay to win? why not just separate the pay to with features from the multiplayer if they must use a pay to win payment model? I am a bit confused about what is going on in the heads of the developers.

well at least they are being honest and not attempting to disguise the fact their try to feed customers bullshit.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Okay, so I downloaded the game and played with it a bit. I'm going to go with a strict no pay policy(because i don't want to reward stupid decisions). A couple of observations so far:

You can change the voices to Japanese(yay!)

You only start off with access to Sophitia, Mitsurugi and Siegfried(boo!)

The announcer sounds like one of the guys from Honest Trailers(umm...?)

You start off with no clothing but underwear(I sense a lot of people starting with Sophitia for some reason)

There is a sort of kind of multiplayer component, in that you can use someone else's character in tag team.

You have a currency called AP that are used to start fights and regain health on a rematch.

This currency replenishes itself at a rate that should be satisfactory unless you start losing a lot(a match seems to cost 2 AP, and you replenish 1 AP every 2 minutes).

While you can't make fully custom characters, I've already seen one Sophitia on the tag team partner list with different hair and steampunk goggles, so I'm not sure to what extent customization goes yet.

The shop exists, and the tutorial shows you how to get to it(it's a menu item. not too hard to figure out). After that, no mention of it is made, so it isn't shoved in your face at least.

From what I can tell, you don't buy specific items. It's more like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer where you got a pack with random stuff in it. Moreover, these same packs drop from fights, so I don't see a real need for it unless you're just really impatient.

That's all I've got so far. By far, the most annoying thing is the limited characters. I'll play around a bit more when I have more time.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Remus said:
You gotta hand it to Namco - they happily put their BS right up front so everyone could get a good whiff of it. Doesn't make it any less repugnant though.
What he said, this is a truly laughable but sad way to gut a franchise, openly too. The current gaming industry looks as if it is starting to eat itself or let itself decay.

Lockling

Aug 16, 2010
So SoCal makes its own version of Tekken Revolution(or as i like to call it "Tekken without pressure").

Going single player only is kinda weird, but then again considering the idea behind it is probably he same as behind the atrocity that is TR(getting new players interested in the game, hopefully enough to buy the latest one), i think its a good thing. Why? Because when youre new to a game you REALLY dont want to face the people who have been playing the game for a few years as your first opponents.

E: Also i suspect youll get to play the game ALOT more than TR even if you lose, given that in TR a match costs 1 ticket or credit and you only get 1 ticket at a time(youll get the first one after 2(iirc) wins and 1 every win after that) and credits replenish at a rate of 1/30min

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Online multiplayer is kind of a nightmare for fighting games anyway, too much delay and too many Mr Uberman Mc.Brokencombos online. I did stop playing the series at SCV due to move changes and the shift from an over the top movie announcer to pedophile get in the van announcer, but yeah might have to check this out.

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
This is awful Soul Calibur 5 was terrible because it was rushed and this game is just a salt in a wound and shouldn't even exist. The fact that they used "Play to Win" as how they describe their dumb system is the worst thing about this.

Otakun

May 20, 2014
As someone who has followed this games creation I feel that I should clear up somethings that this article seems to misinform. First, the game is Free to play, that is why there are micro transactions. This was planned from the start. Second, the choice to be 'single player only' has been around for more then a year, it wasn't a sudden decision to cut the multiplayer. It was planned for it to be a F2P game with micro transcations and they probably felt that having multiplayer in such a game would be unbalanced and after playing the game it makes sense since it involves building up a character like in an RPG. If you're not interested in playing a single player fighter then that's fine but I personally like the idea of doing quests, missions and special events in my fighting game and not have to wait for someone who will eventually rage quit. If I did I could just play Soul Calibur V. If you want multiplayer then play Soul Calibur V, if you just want to have fun building your own character in a Soul Calibur game then Lost Swords is worth a look.