Soul Sacrifice Review - Power has a Cost

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Soul Sacrifice Review - Power has a Cost

If you like complex action RPGs in the vein of Demons Souls and Monster Hunter then Soul Sacrifice is worth a look.

Read Full Article

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
"If you like complex action RPGs in the vein of Demons Souls and Monster Hunter than Soul Sacrifice is worth a look."

Then*

And just wondering -- are we going to see more video reviews in the future?

I'll keep the game on my radar if I ever get a Vita, all the same.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I tried the demo, and it is suitably intense, the Dark Souls and Monster Hunter comparison is right on the money. Looking out for full version soon.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was really hoping that this would turn out good just because of how the game is being compared to Dark Souls and Monster Hunter.

I've heard that there's co-op and that you can sacrifice them in a fight, how does that work exactly? How long does the other person have to wait to play again?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Played the fuck out of the demo, and getting ready to head out a grab my pre order (yay JP VOs) after work. The co-op alone is just so much fun teaming up with 3 other friends to take down some of these crazy monsters.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was really hoping that this would turn out good just because of how the game is being compared to Dark Souls and Monster Hunter.

I've heard that there's co-op and that you can sacrifice them in a fight, how does that work exactly? How long does the other person have to wait to play again?
Sacrificing allies is only possible when they have been downed. Pretty much what happens is that when you run out of HP, you are in a "downed" state with 3 prompts/options to choose from. At this point you can either choose to just simply die by selecting "choose death" and continue on as a ghost. The other two prompts are just shout outs asking allies to save or sacrifice you. But they are just suggestions, it is ultimately up to the other person to decide. Most people will generally heed your calls and not do the opposite unless justified.

To save you, they give up half of their current HP to res you. Sacrificing you will fully replenish their spell stocks and you become a human nuke dealing big damage to the boss.

Once you're dead, you become a ghost where you pretty much stay as for the remainder of the mission/fight. As a ghost you can tap enemies to debuff them (looks like you cut their defense by 1/4-1/2), or buff allies by tapping them to make their attacks stronger. You can also see enemy and ally current HP while as a ghost. While you are alive, you can't see enemy HP bars, you only get a color coded aura to work off of to determine how dead something is (goes Green > Yellow > orange > red).

Funny enough, if you have the right coordination and have 2 guys currently as ghosts, you can have one ghost debuff the boss while the other buffs an ally. I don't think debuffs/buffs stack, but I could be wrong.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Yes there is multiplayer, and it works like how I described it in the review mostly. When an ally goes down you have the option to save or sacrifice them. Saving gets them back up, but it takes 1/2 your health. Sacrificing them causes a map wide spell to go off. Player allies that are sacrificed will become spirits, who can use the touch screen to do a few limited things and can view health bars on everyone.

A sacrificed player will still receive any rewards for completing the mission, and missions are rarely longer than 5 min so you're never out of the fight long.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
-Seraph- said:
Slycne said:
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I know when they announced that bit a while ago I wasn't really sure how that would work because of the whole two player thing.

Thanks you guys. :D

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
if you're sacrificed, sacrifice a player or use your black rite, you also get a bonus reward at the end, and each of the situations I mentioned give significant point bonuses too, so you are more likely to get an extra bonus from the high score.

there is one downside though, you miss out on the soul of the monster at the end, so you miss a chunk of XP and the SE or LE, which are used to unlock sigils on your arm.

the main disadvantage to sacrificing other players is that people get VERY pissy about it, and NEVER sacrifice the host, because if they get pissy and DC, the party is disbanded, so remember to spread the word that being sacrificed is good, the less whiny 14 year olds getting upset and screwing over the rest of the group, the better :p

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Yes! I was looking forward to this! Glad to see it turned out pretty good. I'll be picking this up soon.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Huh, I like the look of it...but I don't have a PSP so I'll have to skip it. That's unfortunante, because it looks really cool and I really love Dark Souls and its ilk. Ah well.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Soul Sacrifice. I guess the game made a pretty big sacrifice by being on the PSVITA! :D

Well as long as it's made it might one day get emulated and I'll play it then, however I am not getting a glorified gaming iPod, I'd rather just buy a fucking tablet instead of a PSVita.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
1337mokro said:
Soul Sacrifice. I guess the game made a pretty big sacrifice by being on the PSVITA! :D

Well as long as it's made it might one day get emulated and I'll play it then, however I am not getting a glorified gaming iPod, I'd rather just buy a fucking tablet instead of a PSVita.
The psp is barely emulated. So have fun with that.

OT: I'm loving this game to bits. It's so gripping and intense that I could just play this for hours without break and still find it fresh.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
AdamG3691 said:
if you're sacrificed, sacrifice a player or use your black rite, you also get a bonus reward at the end, and each of the situations I mentioned give significant point bonuses too, so you are more likely to get an extra bonus from the high score.

there is one downside though, you miss out on the soul of the monster at the end, so you miss a chunk of XP and the SE or LE, which are used to unlock sigils on your arm.

the main disadvantage to sacrificing other players is that people get VERY pissy about it, and NEVER sacrifice the host, because if they get pissy and DC, the party is disbanded, so remember to spread the word that being sacrificed is good, the less whiny 14 year olds getting upset and screwing over the rest of the group, the better :p
are black rites in multiplayer as permanent as the ones in the solo game?

also, due to the whole sony being crazy about crossovers, there's a good chance that it could be ported to ps3

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
weirdguy said:
AdamG3691 said:

are black rites in multiplayer as permanent as the ones in the solo game?

also, due to the whole sony being crazy about crossovers, there's a good chance that it could be ported to ps3
the black rites are the same in MP as in SP, the main difference is that until one of the DLC's come out, you can't regain lacrima in MP without disbanding the party.

there's also one support type black rite with is essentially MP exclusive, you can obtain and use it in SP, but it's pretty much useless, you sacrifice your heart (and halves your maximum HP) to drop to your knees and do nothing, if a boss is dumb enough to walk over to you you can knock them back... that's about it.

in multiplayer however it's a different story, the area of the pushback gives allies a safe area in which they can heal and prepare themselves, and they can pull an incredibly powerful sword out of your chest, it's a life build rite for sure, halved HP isn't as bad when your life is 10 times higher than a chaos player's life anyway, but again, less than useless in SP

1337mokro said:

glorified gaming iPod? the touchscreen is barely used by anything, if you're going to compare it to something, it's more of a PS3 controller with a screen, it's the polar opposite of a tablet

The one use the touchscreen has in SS is to activate your black rite and to poke enemies to weaken them if you get sacrificed

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Busard said:
1337mokro said:

OT: I'm loving this game to bits. It's so gripping and intense that I could just play this for hours without break and still find it fresh.
So the handheld is so bad people don't even want to bother emulating it is what you are saying :DDDDDD

It's to bad for what I hear is a GREAT game.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Ahhhh! I lent my Vita to my brother to play P4G and still haven't got it back. This game is sitting there tormenting me and I really want to play it.

Parakeettheprawn said:
"If you like complex action RPGs in the vein of Demons Souls and Monster Hunter than Soul Sacrifice is worth a look."

Then*

And just wondering -- are we going to see more video reviews in the future?

I'll keep the game on my radar if I ever get a Vita, all the same.
I don't think there's a way to record video on the Vita yet, which is sad. Sony should really get on that.

1337mokro said:
Busard said:
1337mokro said:

So the handheld is so bad people don't even want to bother emulating it is what you are saying :DDDDDD

It's to bad for what I hear is a GREAT game.
You sure are funny, man.

TheRaggedQueen

Nov 10, 2011
Downloading it as we speak. The surprisingly large demo ensured that it would definitely be a purchase for me, as it showed off just about all of the different features of the game rather well, and while the areas and graphics leave a little something to be desired the core mechanics ensure that it's quite the game.