Sound that drives you insane.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Hmm, I hate when a song I like comes on and someone who can't carry a tune starts singing along like they are killing it. I really want to strangle them.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Two main sounds that drive me insane;

The talking of the general public in town/on the train. Honestly, I don't want to sound so edgy, but it's the truth. I have something a short fuse, see, and with so many people around, at least a few are going to be saying something stupid.

It's the obvious stupidity that gets me. When I hear people saying something so damn stupid that you wonder how on earth they don't hear themselves and have a sudden, dire need to either turbo-educate themselves like Jonny-5 from "short circuit" or fling themselves wildly at the nearest sharp object.

Thus, I wear what I rather over dramatically refer to as a life support system against the toxic sonic atmosphere of modern world; My Ipod or MP3 player headphones.

The second sound is more surprising; Libraries. Libraries are places of quiet, right? Wrong. Turning pages. Dropped books. Whispers. Drawing, typing, footsteps. In the absence of obvious noise, every smaller, far more irritating and distracting noise takes centre stage, and it can quite literally drive me mad, the noise filling my mind until thoughts simply have no room to complete themselves. I'll take a load of loud dull noises over small irritating ones anyday.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
When people scratch their metal utensils against plates while eating a salad... (shudders)

Also, this girl in class was very loudly chewing on the cap of her pin. When I say loudly, I mean she didn't try to hide it and it was louder the if she had popped gum over and over. I couldn't even keep quiet about it; if she doesn't like me now, that's okay, I'm wasn't interested.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The sound you get when you take styrofoam out of a cardboard box, it makes me want to rip my eardrums out.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Damn near everything i can pick up in the background, idle chatter, the hums and buzzes of various machines, other peoples heartbeats...

I wonder if i can get my hearing reduced at the hospital...

MajorTomServo said:
Scuffing feet. PICK YOUR DAMN FEET UP OR I'LL CUT THEM OFF!
You wouldnt like my feet, if i drag them across a smooth surface i get this terrible screeching noise.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Anything while I'm trying to work, well not exactly music used to really bother me but I've gotten used to it, it's the only way drown all the other noises and manage to keep working, I don't know why, I just find most noises while I'm working to be really stressful, specially talking and whispering, I can hear all of it, and their words mix with my thoughts and then I get confused and have to start over.
[sub]I actually did punch someone once because of this and he wasn't even the one talking : /[/sub]

DrNick

Feb 5, 2009
When I was in high school, in the Long-Ago-Time, chalkboards still dominated. I had a friend who kept his fingernails long. Whenever he would write on the board, he held out his pinky, and as he wrote, the nail would occasionally scrape on the board. I used to sit there, tense as a cornered cat, just waiting for the awful scraping noise.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Neighbors drilling their walls. As we all know, neighbors don't know how to drill properly so they have spend the whole effing day and night going... *nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-ffrrrr*

SodaDew

Sep 28, 2009
The sound produced from the material that rain coats are made of (that rough plastic stuff) when it is scratched by fingernails or itself. Gives me a damn headache.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
Crying babies, people who yawn really loud, any phone ringtone, neighbors drilling and my most hated of all noises, when someone has a car engine running and all you can hear is a deep, low humming; that drives me damn insane.

Tippy

Jul 3, 2012
This pretty much only applies to me when I'm at work, because it's the only place where it's too difficult to just walk the hell away from the source of the sound. I've fallen into a habit of carrying my Sennheiser IE7's (in-ear monitors) everywhere with me, their noise cancellation helps greatly with annoying sounds which I can't get away from.

> People noisily chewings/slurping food, like a cow or a 5-year-old. It is APPALLING to see so many adults doing it, full grown adults for christ's sake. They have been doing it for so long they are permanently tuned-in to that noise and end up selecting it out of their hearing. But everyone else hears it alright. Table manners, learn them for fuck's sake...or eat your food in a far-away cave.

> Chewing/popping gum all day long, very noisily. Wish I could just shoot these people :(

> Constant whistling/humming loudly, often just for the heck of it - nobody wants to listen to that shit, keep it inside your head.

> People noisily chatting across the room in foreign languages - you're being downright rude to everybody else who can overhear you but can't understand you. I've seen people insulting others in loud conversations held in foreign languages even when the person they're insulting is sitting nearby. Speak English (or whatever the accepted language is) or keep it to yourself, talk quietly or talk in private.

> Phones which go off every 20 seconds from receiving constant texts, the user KNOWS they're receiving texts and still decides to keep the phone at full volume all day long. There's this guy at work who uses a loud WHISTLING ringtone, so you can imagine how bad things get for me.

So many of these are just about having good manners, good work ethics and being considerate toward others...but no, life is never that simple.

I wish human ears were as easy to simply "switch off" as our eyes. I wish... :(

Oh well, I shall always love you Sennheiser IE7's...

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
That unnecessary noise that some people make for a good fifteen minutes after you ask them a simple A or B question. When you only had spare literally the half-minute it would take to answer the question. Dad.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
the sound of one of my cats meowing when I open a can of cat food. Not the sound she makes as much as the fact she keeps doing it till she is fed no matter what.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
-People eating with their fucking mouths open.
-Repeated sneezing
-Repeated sniffing a runny nose
-Coughing
-Clapping
-Snoring

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
My neighbor who thinks he knows how to drum. It wouldn't do bad if it wasn't off beat.

Mar 30, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
WUB
WUB WUB
WUB WUB WUB

uuuuugh
Can't think of too much else, luckily enough.

Sorry, it needed to be done.

OT: Squalling brats. Screeching irritating kids. Although my anger is aimed more at the parents who let their kids get away with that shit in public rather than at the little monsters themselves.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
For me the sound of Justin Beiber's voice comes to mind. even If I'm talking to a manager at work and it comes on the radio I have to put both earbuds in just to drown that little shit out. Tiesto soothes the mind then.