Sounds like trump is planning on nominating someone named Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
October 22nd Judiciary committee vote. The end is nigh.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Contextually, that appears to have been a 2-1 initial appeal ruling confirmed by a 7-4 full court ruling.

The moral aspect of the case aside, that suggests Barrett and her other six peers had a much more substantial position than that Tweet implies. It's not that I doubt that Barrett will be the usual right-wing upholder of big money and (sometimes where appropriate) government over the US people, but I'd prefer cases which gave a stronger legal rather than emotive argument.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Contextually, that appears to have been a 2-1 initial appeal ruling confirmed by a 7-4 full court ruling.

The moral aspect of the case aside, that suggests Barrett and her other six peers had a much more substantial position than that Tweet implies. It's not that I doubt that Barrett will be the usual right-wing upholder of big money and (sometimes where appropriate) government over the US people, but I'd prefer cases which gave a stronger legal rather than emotive argument.
I don't see how 'It's legal to deny compensation for rape because of this technicality' is better than 'it's really fucked up to deny compensation for rape'.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't see how 'It's legal to deny compensation for rape because of this technicality' is better than 'it's really fucked up to deny compensation for rape'.
I would assume the key issue under contention is whether the institution made sufficient efforts to ensure the wellbeing of its inmates and good conduct of its staff.

Is that a "technicality", or is it part of the fundamental aspect of applying blame appropriately?

Reactions: Houseman

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I would assume the key issue under contention is whether the institution made sufficient efforts to ensure the wellbeing of its inmates and good conduct of its staff.

Is that a "technicality", or is it part of the fundamental aspect of applying blame appropriately?
Typically in cases like these the institution can be held liable and then, if the institution wants, it may sue the individual who they think is more directly responsible.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Can I just point out how bullshit it wad the merriam webster dictionary changed the definition of Sexual preference to claim it was offensive literally after it was used to attack Judge Coney Barrett?

Or the number of places who jumped in to declare it offensive who were using it mere months ago?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Typically in cases like these the institution can be held liable and then, if the institution wants, it may sue the individual who they think is more directly responsible.
Yeah, and that's stupid. As a Catholic, and someone who very much values the time I had as a Boy Scout, I'm certainly biased. But the idea that someone can join an organization, break that organization's rules, break the law, and thus the organization gets sued for millions in damages is ridiculous and I hate it.

Like, this prison guard committed a crime, plead guilty, and went to jail. That's the justice. The wrongdoer is punished. If they wanted to take his money, that'd be a whole different thing. Cause he committed the crime. The county didn't. If anything, the county is a secondary victim of the crime. Their facilities were used for sex crimes, their reputation scarred, and though relatively minor to those they're out a trained prison guard. And people thought it was proper to take $6.7 million dollars from them on top of that? That's not justice.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, and that's stupid. As a Catholic, and someone who very much values the time I had as a Boy Scout, I'm certainly biased. But the idea that someone can join an organization, break that organization's rules, break the law, and thus the organization gets sued for millions in damages is ridiculous and I hate it.

Like, this prison guard committed a crime, plead guilty, and went to jail. That's the justice. The wrongdoer is punished. If they wanted to take his money, that'd be a whole different thing. Cause he committed the crime. The county didn't. If anything, the county is a secondary victim of the crime. Their facilities were used for sex crimes, their reputation scarred, and though relatively minor to those they're out a trained prison guard. And people thought it was proper to take $6.7 million dollars from them on top of that? That's not justice.
The organization put a rapist into a position of authority over people. The organization deserves to take a hit too. He only had the opportunity to commit these crimes acting as an agent of the county

Additionally, the bastard who raped her was able to plead down to felony misconduct, is not on a sex offenders registry, and he served only 3 days in prison.

WHAT FUCKING JUSTICE DID SHE GET, EXACTLY?

Last edited:

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009

Says it all in your phrasing.
Not that the victim was awarded 6.7m in compensation.
That "people thought it was proper to take 6.7m from them" after "their reputation took a hit and they're down a guard".

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The organization put a rapist into a position of authority over people. The organization deserves to take a hit too. He only had the opportunity to commit these crimes acting as an agent of the county

Additionally, the bastard who raped her was able to plead down to felony misconduct, is not on a sex offenders registry, and he served only 3 days in prison.

WHAT FUCKING JUSTICE DID SHE GET, EXACTLY?
They didn't put a rapist in a position of authority. They put a person in the position of prison guard, who then betrayed them. He did not commit the crimes acting as an agent of the county.

The way litigation is going these days, it's going to become impossible to work with any population that is vulnerable for any reason without a billion dollar slush fund for the inevitable problems.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The way litigation is going these days, it's going to become impossible to work with any population that is vulnerable for any reason without a billion dollar slush fund for the inevitable problems.
Or, you know, a halfway decent vetting process.

You know, if abuse is considered "inevitable", maybe you have to investigate why that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanchaidh

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Or, you know, a halfway decent vetting process.

You know, if abuse is considered "inevitable", maybe you have to investigate why that is.
No vetting process is foolproof. Like, if you've got something to suggest this guy was a rapist when they hired him, sure punish the county. Bad things can happen without a mistake in the vetting process, so unless you have reason to believe they did something wrong, why blame them?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No vetting process is foolproof. Like, if you've got something to suggest this guy was a rapist when they hired him, sure punish the county. Bad things can happen without a mistake in the vetting process, so unless you have reason to believe they did something wrong, why blame them?
Yes, abuses can happen with any vetting process.

Abuses this fucking common? No, at this point, coincidence becomes the least likely explanation.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How common?
Reliable numbers are hard to come by, as a result of known underreporting and poor data practices. But the DOJ itself describes abuse as "highly prevalent", "systemic", etc. Independent researchers routinely find it extremely widespread.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Reliable numbers are hard to come by, as a result of known underreporting and poor data practices. But the DOJ itself describes abuse as "highly prevalent", "systemic", etc. Independent researchers routinely find it extremely widespread.
Abuse is widespread everywhere in everything. Do you have reason to believe this crime is exceptionally common in this jail? That they are doing something or not doing anything to prevent misconduct that would be worthy of punishment?