Sounds like trump is planning on nominating someone named Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
More relevantly, in 2015, 4 Justices voted against equal marriage (all Republican), and 5 voted for (4 Democrat, 1 Republican). 3 of those "against" voters are still present, 2 of whom have spoken harshly against the ruling only this year. So we're supposed to trust in the now heavily-Republican SCOTUS to return the same ruling if prompted? If the same party voting lines came up now, it would be overturned.
I don't think a Supreme Court that issued a 6-3 expansion of Title VII into gender identity and sexual orientation (even if ACB flips, it's still 5-4) is going to come back and undo the ruling that legalized gay marriage.
I can't post a link so here's an article on the topic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/evange...-its-same-sex-marriage-decision/#bafc1a9284b9

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think a Supreme Court that issued a 6-3 expansion of Title VII into gender identity and sexual orientation (even if ACB flips, it's still 5-4) is going to come back and undo the ruling that legalized gay marriage.
I can't post a link so here's an article on the topic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/evange...-its-same-sex-marriage-decision/#bafc1a9284b9
In essence, the article argues that we can rely on the honour and commitment to objectivity of Neil Gorsuch & Brett Kavanaugh.

You think the public would react this way because..?
Because the one time an impeachment was attempted, the public already responded with resounding criticism. Multiply that into endless failed impeachments, without a hope of success, dominating the news-cycle until election day, allowing them to look like petulant obstructionists? It's freaking obvious. The Republicans would rejoice at such a colossal misfire.

Barrett is anti-worker. But since Democrats don't really care about that, hardly anyone noticed. AFSCME did, though.
Yes, but we were talking about methods of stopping her, weren't we? This doesn't actually address my criticism. Why should workers respect an approach that sacrifices their pay and workplace safety, uses them as pawns in a political fight they didn't sign up for?

Not if they succeeded or acted consistently with their rhetoric.
If the criticisms were consistent I could perhaps take them seriously, as well. I still recall condemnation of the Democrats for compromising on some bill or another in order to get it passed, and then condemnation of the Dems (much from the same people) for refusing to compromise on the stimulus vote.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Do they not security clear these chucklefucks? Like even to the most basic and cursory level?
Almost certainly. But they might not tell us the results.

If we're lucky, however, we might find out because the president tweets or tells Vladimir Putin some of the top secret intelligence material.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, this would mean a whole lot more if the media wasn’t right about Trump half the time. Complain all you want about their inaccuracies but they HAVE been accurate on most things. When you point out that Trump is authoritarian that abuses power which completely comes true, or question his ability to administrate then Covid happens showing his inability to lead or coordinate states, people are going to lose faith in the institution that supposed to protect them. They literally forced through ACB and then went on break... without dealing with the stimulus. The priorities are all wrong. People wouldn’t be complaining about ACB as much if you got the important stuff done first.

So, I’m not going to be surprised if something case comes up to challenge this precedent. And it wins. I’ve been caught out too many times being surprised at what Trump was able to push through. You’d think I would have learnt with Bush and his lies about WMD and torture. I’ve had too much faith in people

Edit: Sorry, here’s the concise version. If you want us to believe this is true, maybe stop proving us right in so many other situations.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
People wouldn’t be complaining about ACB as much if you got the important stuff done first.
Well that's just not true. Basically none of the complaints about her are justified at all, and all of them were prepared to be fired off when they thought she was getting Kavanaugh's seat.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well that's just not true. Basically none of the complaints about her are justified at all, and all of them were prepared to be fired off when they thought she was getting Kavanaugh's seat.
I mean, she had only been a judge for a year at that time would be my biggest issue.

But yes, we certainly did make up the fact that she has said a whole bunch of stuff previously about case. Thats not real in any form...

That's sarcasm. I like how repeating what someone has said previously is making up justifications. That's not sarcasm

But we'll see.

Reactions: Secondhand Revenant

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Supreme Court decision on Title 7 was based on clear language: if you won't hire a man because their attracted to men but you will hire a woman who's attracted to men, that's plain language discrimination based on sex.

The Supreme Court decision on Same Sex Marriage was based on a potentially dodgy interpretation of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment, same way as the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment didn't stop Jim Crow laws nor did it grant women the right to vote. Get enough "Literalists", "Textualists", and "Originalists" on the court and it can easily go away back to the land of State's Rights

Side Note: anybody else think it's weird we voted in a Supreme Court Justice who's originalist stance should mean she isn't qualified? (EDIT: for spelling. Something about this forum and Safari really doesn't get along)

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That thought had occured, but it's not really surprising. Blatant hypocrisy is par for the course.
Yeah, this does not make me comfortable at all. Did we not learn anything from Theocracies? Just have a look at Iran etc. Why do you want to copy that

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Because the one time an impeachment was attempted, the public already responded with resounding criticism. Multiply that into endless failed impeachments, without a hope of success, dominating the news-cycle until election day, allowing them to look like petulant obstructionists? It's freaking obvious. The Republicans would rejoice at such a colossal misfire.
This is a very simplistic take. The Democrats chose to impeach Trump over an issue that made them look, frankly, worse than him.

Yes, but we were talking about methods of stopping her, weren't we? This doesn't actually address my criticism. Why should workers respect an approach that sacrifices their pay and workplace safety, uses them as pawns in a political fight they didn't sign up for?
Like I said before, by broadening the demands, contextualizing the Supreme Court appointment as simply one small part, but also the last straw, of Republican anti-worker policy. Essentially: general strike for the reasons you should general strike at any time. And tie the Supreme Court into it.

The Democrats would never think of doing it, and you would never think of them doing it, because the Democrats are also anti-worker.

If the criticisms were consistent I could perhaps take them seriously, as well. I still recall condemnation of the Democrats for compromising on some bill or another in order to get it passed, and then condemnation of the Dems (much from the same people) for refusing to compromise on the stimulus vote.
It's almost like the particular consequences are relevant or something.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I mean, she had only been a judge for a year at that time would be my biggest issue.

But yes, we certainly did make up the fact that she has said a whole bunch of stuff previously about case. Thats not real in any form...

That's sarcasm. I like how repeating what someone has said previously is making up justifications. That's not sarcasm

But we'll see.
I mean, what I see is pure delusion. You personally suggest she's copying Iranian theocracy. Like, come on, man.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I mean, what I see is pure delusion. You personally suggest she's copying Iranian theocracy. Like, come on, man.
True. Iran's full of lily-livered liberals when it comes to abortion - she wants to go further.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Because facts don't care about your feelings.
A woman is quoted as saying abortion is immoral in a legal essay on recusing yourself from issues conflicting with your conscience. The same woman who just accepted her appointment while saying it's her job as justice to put aside her personal beliefs. I don't know what facts you're referring to. It looks to me like a bunch of people who've let politics determine their view rather than the inverse.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
A woman is quoted as saying abortion is immoral in a legal essay on recusing yourself from issues conflicting with your conscience. The same woman who just accepted her appointment while saying it's her job as justice to put aside her personal beliefs. I don't know what facts you're referring to. It looks to me like a bunch of people who've let politics determine their view rather than the inverse.
I said that because I knew you would get all huffy about it and you did not disappoint. That is all, thank you.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I said that because I knew you would get all huffy about it and you did not disappoint. That is all, thank you.
I mean, if it ends the misinformation circle jerk here, I'm more than happy with the results.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This is a very simplistic take. The Democrats chose to impeach Trump over an issue that made them look, frankly, worse than him.
If they fill the docket with impeachments, they'll have to come up with justifications for that as well. If their stated reason is to filibuster, that'll look even worse.

Like I said before, by broadening the demands, contextualizing the Supreme Court appointment as simply one small part, but also the last straw, of Republican anti-worker policy. Essentially: general strike for the reasons you should general strike at any time. And tie the Supreme Court into it.

The Democrats would never think of doing it, and you would never think of them doing it, because the Democrats are also anti-worker.
This would look any less party-political? The timing alone would make it transparent that the nomination was the deciding factor, resulting in everything I outlined above: immediate rejection by a majority of workers, abysmal optics.

It's almost like the particular consequences are relevant or something.
If they were, they didn't come up in the complaints themselves.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
...And also in adverts explicitly calling for Roe V. Wade to be reversed because it's "barbaric". So, she's already given her personal moral feelings on the matter specifically as a justification for changing the law.
Yes, as a justification for changing the law. Changing the law isn't the Supreme Court's job, their job is interpretation. Abortion will be bannable in the US if and when the legislature makes it explicitly so, that's why personhood amendments have been drafted, so as to make the constitutional stance clear. If that doesn't happen, the court's not going to divert from precedent very far.

To be clear, if Barrett was a legislator, I guarantee she'd be fighting to ban abortion, because legislators do craft law based on their personal stances. She isn't, she's a judge, she has an obligation to the law as it exists.