Source Claims Six Days in Fallujah is Ready to Go

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Source Claims Six Days in Fallujah is Ready to Go

It's been awhile since we've heard any news but Six Days in Fallujah [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Days_in_Fallujah], the controversial shooter based on the 2004 battle in the Iraq War, is reportedly finished and ready for release.

Konami had originally signed up to publish Six Days but more trouble [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91256-Update-Konami-Backs-Out-of-Fallujah] in August of last year when most of its employees were laid off and closure seemed imminent.

Atomic remained defiant, however, saying that the stories of the "courage and sacrifice" of those who fought in Fallujah "must be shared with the world," and now it appears that there may have been more to that statement than sheer bravado. According to IGN [http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1073399p1.html], Six Days in Fallujah is actually finished and just needs a publishing deal to get it out the door.

"I can promise you that game is still coming out and it is finished," a close source said.

There's no indication that Atomic has any specific prospects for a publishing deal but, if the report is accurate, it does offer proof that Atomic and Six Days are still alive and kicking. I feel a bit of trepidation about the possible condition of the final release, given the rough ride the studio has had over the past half-year, but if this turns out to be true then I'll also be very happy to hear that the game still has a fighting chance.

Six Days in Fallujah is expected to be released for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I'm glad that this is coming out, were it a film or a book on the subject no-one would have any problem with the release. I'm sure when it does come out there'll be a huge amount of scorn laid on it regardless of how they handle it, but I've lots of admiration for the team for sticking with the game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm glad they didn't back down in the end, I just hope they didn't pull any punches, and don't resort to editing in finding a publisher.

Of course my thoughts on the subject right now are that they should probably consider self-publishing and seeing if they can go digital with a PC release to begin with and release for other platforms if it catches on and they make money.

Normally I don't care for digital distribution in a general sense, but I do notice that D2D *DID* carry the AO version of Manhunt 2 eventually despite the contreversy.

I would point them to STEAM, but truthfully Valve doesn't seem to have much guts nowadays after the fact that they didn't even make an attempt to campaign against/protest Australian censorship over the whole L4D2 thing. They might shy away from contreversy when it comes to their service.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
This is one game I'd like to see out. Also, surely this would deter people from joining the military right? Surely anti-war groups should praise this game as a gritty and horrible depiction of Iraq.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Therumancer said:
I'm glad they didn't back down in the end, I just hope they didn't pull any punches, and don't resort to editing in finding a publisher.

Of course my thoughts on the subject right now are that they should probably consider self-publishing and seeing if they can go digital with a PC release to begin with and release for other platforms if it catches on and they make money.

Normally I don't care for digital distribution in a general sense, but I do notice that D2D *DID* carry the AO version of Manhunt 2 eventually despite the contreversy.

I would point them to STEAM, but truthfully Valve doesn't seem to have much guts nowadays after the fact that they didn't even make an attempt to campaign against/protest Australian censorship over the whole L4D2 thing. They might shy away from contreversy when it comes to their service.
I agree, a digital release for PC, over such services as D2D, Steam, and Impulse could help them test the water, and hopefully entice a publisher for a release on the consoles.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Some publisher is bound to pick this up... all the controversy around this game is only going to increase sales.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Furburt said:
If anything it's more like Gears Of War than anything, from what I've seen. Shame, I was hyped up about this game for a while. I'd much prefer something more authentic.
Where have you seen it? I'd be interested in checking out some footage myself.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
SilentHunter7 said:
Hopefully this will sell.

And Atomic can get back to work on the Close Combat Series. :)
Yes please! OH god yes...

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Furburt said:
To me, the game looks like a slightly more realistic Freedom Fighters.
I dunno man, those videos aren't really much to go on. I don't blame you for maybe having low expectations - it's tough making a decent shooter under the best of circumstances, let alone the nonsense Atomic has apparently been putting up with - but declaring it an unrealistic GoW knock-off as a cold, hard fact is really jumping the gun if that's all you've got to go on.

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
Interesting. But if anyone has seen Generation Kill, you would realize that it has already been done, to some extent at least. Don't know if it was Fallujah, but remember the part in CoD:MW2 where you cross a bridge with a "Bridgelayer" and ride into town with a minigun on top of a armoured car? The resemblance was striking. Anyways, considering todays news (ref.: BBC) Fallujah might suffer from birth defects due to experimental/high tech ordnance used in the assault. So I'm not sure a video game glorifying the assault is the correct move. Not that I'm a pacifist or anything, it's just that one shouldn't use weapons which have uncertain side-effects over time. But I might be wrong - I haven't really researched this title very thoroughly - so for all I know it could be more of a "display of the harsh reality of war" type of game.

Anyways, nice to see that the cancellation was...err..revoked?