Source Compares PSP2 to Portable PS3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Source Compares PSP2 to Portable PS3

An unnamed source has revealed a host of new details about the PSP2's advanced features, including power comparable to a PS3.

Rumors are sometimes right, and sometimes wrong, but in the case of those surrounding the PSP2 they all seem to converge on the same points. A new unnamed source for IGN has confirmed some of the previous leaks about the handheld, but goes into more detail about its features and refers to a power level that could possibly be over 9000 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik].

The source compares the processing power of the PSP2 directly to the PlayStation 3, and says it's capable of producing graphics on the level of first generation PS3 titles. The processor inside of the PSP2 wasn't specifically detailed, but is said to be more than half as powerful as the one found in the PS3. Due to lower display requirements, this could allow the PSP2 to output PS3 quality games on its smaller screen. This hints towards a possible seamless PSP2 and PS3 experience, where players begin a game on one console and continue it on the other.

As for the PSP2's other features, the source confirmed that the PSP2 will emulate the PSPgo and nix any kind of physical media drive. If the source can be believed, the PSP2 will only play downloadable games from memory or through similar methods. Still, this doesn't count out the possibility of accessories that add UMD capabilities which have been spoken of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96566-Rumor-Logitech-Developing-UMD-Drive-for-PSPgo] in the past.

The recently leaked development kit images [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105385-Rumor-PSP2-Images-Hit-the-Streets] were also confirmed as real by the source. The PSP2 is apparently similar to the PSPgo in that it slides up, but is larger and features dual analog sticks that are concave rather than convex. The cameras seen on the front and back are likely to be used for pictures, video, and augmented-reality games, similar to the Nintendo DSi or 3DS.

The most intriguing rumor surrounding the PSP2 has been the touchpad that is said to be on the handheld's backside. The source called this pad a "smooth, glass-like surface" and revealed that it's used for analog stick-like controls, tapping, swiping, and other gesture commands.

With all of its features, and power that could rival the PS3 in output, the big mystery in the PSP2's case is cost. Sony hasn't been known for competitive pricing as of late, so unless it's learned a lesson from the high original price of the PS3 and PSPgo we could see the world's most expensive handheld when the PSP2 is released someday. Just keep in mind that all of this information should still be considered as rumor.

Source: IGN [http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/113/1138879p1.html]

Dec 14, 2009
News just in! The PSP2 will cost eleventy million pounds, followed by Sony confused as to why it isn't selling as many units as they thought.

3DS is still my next handheld of choice. If I wanted a PS3 I would buy one, not some strange handheld half-breed version of it.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
This...is interesting. I have always wanted to be able to play my psp games on my ps3, so being able to switch between the 2 on the fly is something I definitely like the sound of.

That being said, I agree with Daystar that 3DS is first on my list for handheld purchases right now.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Damn, that's a lot of stuff. Following the realeas of the first model, the release of the slim model excluding PSP GO and other compatiblities to reduce costs.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
If Sony is earning a profit off every PS3 unit sold now and the current price is £249.99 then I can see it costing £300. Of course, that's just depending on what specs the screen and the trackpad is.

Anyone else excited for E3?

Calumon: If this one falls on me, I can lift it off? But then I would never have met Jack!

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Man, they should have just kept it the same shape as the first 3 PSP's. They were way more comfortable and looked better imo. I'm always afraid of things that slide like that are going to break off, no matter how many claims there are that they are perfectly sturdy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
About damn time Sony got some concave sticks... Assuming this is real of course, and I don't usually go around accepting things that "anonymous sources" say as fact. This stays firmly in the rumor bin for me.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
It better have a lot of nifty new features if Sony is gonna completely axe physical media for the system. They have to consider that part of the market they're focusing on uses handhelds because you can avoid the hustle and bustle of owning a large console. So now that they are requiring anyone who owns this to have some access to the internet, they have to figure out a way to sell to those with no internet access or those who do not wish to use a digital distribution system. Maybe those who have no interwebs aren't apart of the market at all anymore.

And to be captain obvious for the moment, this is an attack on Gamestop and used game sales. However it will be a trade off. By avoiding physical media completely with digital distribution, digital pirating will increase.

Call me old school but I prefer disks and cartridges. Besides digital distribution is only causing a trade off of hardware. All systems have limited storage capabilities so you're going to have to put them on some other physical media when you own more digital games than the space alloted on the system. With the way the industry is going I'm guessing the companies of external hard drives and similar devices will start to see a rise in sales and profits.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Going to stick this in the rumour bin. Not buying that the PSP2 games will be capable of looking like PS3 games. That said, having PSP2 go download-only is not a bad idea, or at least will show us how quickly consoles in general will adapt to digital distribution.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
A new unnamed source for IGN has confirmed some of the previous leaks about the handheld, but goes into more detail about its features and refers to a power level that could possibly be over 9000 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik].
Really? Well, then I imagine the price to also be OVER $9000!!! *nyuknyuk*

It may be impressive to have a PS3 in the palm of your hand, but remember this: you can buy laptops that kick a high end desktop's arse and take its lunch money, but they have battery lives on the order of minutes. Power is nice, but not if it interferes with the portability of the device.

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009
... Why the hell are they going with PSPGO Digital Distribution only again? Didn't they learn from the PSPGO why that's a stupid, stupid idea?

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Well, since this is coming from a unknown source, it's reliability is dubious. But if even half of those statements are correct, Sony is well on it's way towards a complete disaster.

Even though this console generation (more than any before) has proven that sheer graphical prowess does not sell hardware by itself, Sony seems to be just moving along the technological route regardless of everything. This is in spite of the fact that the original PSP already suffered from cost and battery life issues and further graphical enhancements are only going to exasperate that problem.

Not only that, even though the PSP Go revealed the shortcomings of a DD-only model, they are going to use it again. Only, this time, they will not have a physical medium to fall back to (by the way, can anyone find that statement from SCEE CEO that retail was important? I can recall it being posted here on the Escapist, but I can't find it).

You know what's funny? In the past, I have compared the PSP to the Sega Game Gear; a moderately successful handheld with more advanced technology, bigger cost, more limited library, weaker battery life and far behind the market leader in terms of sales. But while I have joked that the PSP2 would be just like the Sega Nomad, I never imagined that Sony would actually do that. Beacuse this sounds exactly like the Nomad. Obviously, it's not an exact duplicate, but the concept behind it is very similar. And if this really is the path the PSP2 is going to take, I think it will also sell as well as the Nomad (meaning, very poorly).

Again, considering this is far from a reliable source, all of this could be a lie. But if even a part of it is true, then I guess history really does repeat itself.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Which means we'll see dozens of Reverse ports from the PSP2 to the PS3.

Not to mention the tons of ports from PS3 to PSP2 which are given crappy names and sold for $49.99

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
CustomMagnum said:
... Why the hell are they going with PSPGO Digital Distribution only again? Didn't they learn from the PSPGO why that's a stupid, stupid idea?
Because it was a special case, considering that the Go had literally no benefits over the PSP 3000, while lacking the ability to access the PSP's physical back catalogue. With the PSP2, that lacking back catalogue is wiped, and so the PSP2 has a fairer chance at success.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Everyone is getting WAAAAAY too far ahead of themselves. The thing hasn't even been announced yet and everyone's qq'ing over how it's going for entirely digital distribution. And being able to transfer games with save files from ps3 to psp2....absolutely not....no way in hell.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
"The unnamed source also said that he had a unicorn living in his backyard, which was annoying since it kept eating all of his mushrooms".

Really, I have to question how this is possible. After all, the PSP is *tiny*, and packing so much power into such a small package has some serious repercussions. Such as burning your fingers off after ten minutes of hard play because the fans can't compensate for the heat output... hrm. Well, time will tell.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The source compares the processing power of the PSP2 directly to the PlayStation 3, and says it's capable of producing graphics on the level of first generation PS3 titles.
so... it will be a portable 360? should we expect red-rings on the PSP2? XD

just to note, im a 360 guy, but that doesnt mean i cant rag on it ;)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
It should have 3D too. Mite as well with all them features. Whats a few hundred dollars to have the PS3 in your hand :p

Dual Analog wooo! (about damn time!)