South Koreans Aren't Playing StarCraft II

sagacious

May 7, 2009
but starcraft didn't get frighteningly popular until a few years after release (and after brood war)!
Starcraft 2 has only been out a few months. After Heart of the swarm and ESPECIALLY after legacy of the void, you'll see starcraft 2 outstrip scarcraft 1.

imo, anyway

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
I think the reason South Koreans are skeptical of SC2 is very well displayed in the recent MLG Dallas tournament when B.net just went down... There's no excuse for things like this, blizzard wants their game to be competitive on a global scale, but when a game is shut down... in the middle of a grand final no less... That's bullshit. Lan implementation is mandatory for tournaments

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
After Starcraft 2 crashed irreparably from a patch, and they wanted to force me to do the whole registration thing again, I stopped playing.

I could just say that the "No LAN = killjoy" but there's more to it than that; Bnet 2.0 has this pervasive feeling to it; they want to know what I'm doing at all times.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, they just start throwing targeted ads in my face while playing.

Muhkoo

Mar 29, 2009
Oh no the statue money.

I think as maybe everyone does that its the lack of LAN play that kept them South Koreans from taking it to them, but maybe also that its not the grahpics and the new features they care for within the game, so they might as well stick to what they know. If its treated like a sport imagine how it would be if they added a bunch of new things to Baseball or Football, fairly sure it would be hard to change if there were suddenly more balls flying around and more bases and 3 new roles to fill (although that might be completely wrong, gotta ask them if thats the case :D )

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
It'll take longer than Blizzard expected, but Starcraft 2 looks set to take over. It's only a matter of time before the issues about LAN, chat channels and tournaments get sorted out.

moogaman

Nov 6, 2006
The guy who made competitive StarCraft what is is today, Slayers_Boxer, has moved onto SC2 and even said it's the better game. The Global StarCraft League (the SC2 league in Korea) has a bigger prize pool than any other e-sports tournament on the planet. As more and more pro-Brood Wars players move onto SC2, the rest of South Korea will follow, it's only a matter of time.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not even remotely suprised. And actually, Good job South Korea! Hit them where it hurts, the wallet. If they aren't releasing what you want, don't buy it. Could you send some people over to teach some of the people over here?

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
moogaman said:
The guy who made competitive StarCraft what is is today, Slayers_Boxer, has moved onto SC2 and even said it's the better game. The Global StarCraft League (the SC2 league in Korea) has a bigger prize pool than any other e-sports tournament on the planet. As more and more pro-Brood Wars players move onto SC2, the rest of South Korea will follow, it's only a matter of time.
Did he say that? Cool, I hope to see more replays of him, I've only seen a few from when he first started SC2. Also, by the way, you are PRO lurker. (Insert StarCraft joke here)

OT: There are several variables, and I'd say maybe only the pros will go into SC2, but the mass majority will just watch them and play SC:BW for a good while. Maybe wait till both expansions are out.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
ciortas1 said:
As in any thread concerning Blizzard: Fuck you, fuck you and all you stand for with your nanny approach to video gaming and your horrible damn Battle.net.
I'm starting to think that Mike Morhaime must have run over your dog or something.

You need to calm down, kiddo. It's a fantastic game with a less-fantastic online system that still works pretty well for Average Gamer Joe. It isn't the end of the world, and ranting like that in every thread is going to give you an ulcer.

thebighead01

Sep 9, 2010
well hopefully blizzard/activision will learn their lesson. they didn't make money from the 1st game and so go in heavy handed on the 2nd?? at least be a bit more subtle about it

moogaman

Nov 6, 2006
Last Bullet said:
moogaman said:
Did he say that? Cool, I hope to see more replays of him, I've only seen a few from when he first started SC2. Also, by the way, you are PRO lurker. (Insert StarCraft joke here)

OT: There are several variables, and I'd say maybe only the pros will go into SC2, but the mass majority will just watch them and play SC:BW for a good while. Maybe wait till both expansions are out.
He did very well in the GSL season 2, unfortunately he was eliminated last week in the round of 4, losing to Nestea (also a former BW pro, know as ZergBong back then.)

Tonight is the finals of the GSL. It's at 4am est, but there should be some VODs up tomorrow at some point. I'm really looking forward to it.

edit - If anyone's interested and lives in a more reasonable time zone, you can watch the finals live here http://www.gomtv.net/

thebighead01

Sep 9, 2010
ciortas1 said:
thebighead01 said:
What exact first game did they not make money from? The last 9 games they've made (including expansions) have all been bestsellers, some at the very top of most sold PC games.
They didn't make money from all the lan games or tournaments because it didn't require them to play with other people

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Percutio said:
Ne1butme said:
With some of the major players moving over (Boxer, Jaedong), i'm sure we'll see a shift towards SC2. We'll know that Sc2 has taken over when Flash switches and we see that his normal 'Walk out with a huge mech push' doesn't work too well in Sc2.
Jaedong hasn't switched, Boxer is already doing extremely well. I fully expect S class players like Flash and Jaedong to simply dominate if they switch.

Hell, all the oGs oldies have been.
Sorry, should have said that Jaedong was planning on switching, as quoted in the Next-Gen article. But I'm not convinced that all the top Korean BW players will successfully make the switch. SC2 is less about manual skill than smart decision making. The BW macrobots probably won't succeed at SC2 unless they change up their game.