South Park Creators Think Video Games May Be The Show's Future

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
lol at people still mad about the last season of South Park

OT: I don't know, there's something to be said for being completely passive while enjoying a show. You can put a TV on in the background, you can't really do that for a game.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Nazulu said:
Higgs303 said:
I don't agree either, if anything South Park has become much better since they started using multi-episode story arcs. It has allowed them to create narratives and themes with a little more depth than the single-episode "I learned something today" formula which had become tired and preachy.
And I disagree too, with you ^^

South Park has certainly changed in how it is written, but it has also lost it's impact, and what made it stand out most is gone. While I still think it's great that they try to parody certain controversial topics, I feel like they've toned it down too much. None of it seems daring anymore, and a lot of their jokes now (if not all) feel tired, and some are just referencing the past. Even the characters themselves are written like it's an over-used formula, pulling out no extreme punches.

Depth is nice and all, but without the 'meat', I'm not going to be interested. And the "I learned something today" thing was a parody on classic shows. It used to be all one big ass joke, killing cliche's and back handing morons in a reckless unapologetic fashion. It needed to be loud to stand out, like Eminem used to be. Now it just sits in the background with the others.
I think all of this is a result of our pop culture evolving. A large percentage of people these days find certain topics inherently not funny (I am within this camp myself) and they, appropriately, veered away from that kind of thing.
They can still do great things with their material. My mother, whom is offended fairly easy by nonstop cursing, I showed their "Facebook" episode a few years back and she loved it, and it was relevant because she's big into Facebook. That episode was hardly offensive, only had a few scattered BLEEP's in it, but was incredibly funny.

That's just an example. It doesn't 'dare' step on this generation's toes. It's not that this generation is too touchy, it's just that they find different things funny.

I don't know what to make of this news, I don't actively watch the show but it seems like they're simply trying to evolve.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I hope they are speaking from some sort of creation euphoria that many writers experience. The Southpark show is too big to fail, much like The Simpsons, and while they have the wheel, it won't ever fall below mediocre. If they can't continue making full episodes, they should do web shorts. I'm sure they would be a huge hit on Youtube or whatever service they want to use.

searron

Mar 1, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
So while the first run of South Park games - tie-ins for the Nintendo 64 era - weren't so great, the last one, Fractured But Whole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/south%20park%20the%20stick%20of%20truth?os=south+park+the+stick+of+truth>The Stick of Truth was actually pretty good. Similarly, the upcoming <a href=] also looks like it will be pretty sweet. Series creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are really happy with this latest South Park video game series, so much so that the future of the TV show may actually be in video games.
This is a mess; you need to fix the coding on this because as the way it reads right now [ "So while the first run of South Park games - tie-ins for the Nintendo 64 era - weren't so great, the last one, Fractured But Whole also looks like it will be pretty sweet."] doesn't make any sense.

You want it to look more like this(the first link is breaking it):

So while the first run of South Park games - tie-ins for the Nintendo 64 era - weren't so great, the last one,The Stick of Truth was actually pretty good. Similarly, the upcoming Fractured But Whole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/south%20park%20the%20fractured%20but%20whole?os=south+park+the+fractured+but+whole] also looks like it will be pretty sweet.