South Park Creators Think Video Games May Be The Show's Future

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
South Park Creators Think Video Games May Be The Show's Future

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329353.jpg
South Park may eventually find it self off the air and on your game system permanently.

So while the first run of South Park games - tie-ins for the Nintendo 64 era - weren't so great, the last one, Fractured But Whole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/south%20park%20the%20stick%20of%20truth?os=south+park+the+stick+of+truth>The Stick of Truth was actually pretty good. Similarly, the upcoming <a href=] also looks like it will be pretty sweet. Series creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are really happy with this latest South Park video game series, so much so that the future of the TV show may actually be in video games.

"We also know that [games] might be the future of South Park. This might be where things are going," Trey Parker said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/south-park-video-games-trey-parker-matt-stone].

"I think in 20 years, 10 years, people will be playing more. That convergence of entertainment, whether it's VR or a more immersive thing. The more you get in it, the more you watch Pew Die Pie, and people watch Pew Die Pie play, and you watch E-sports. You watch young people, and the way they engage with something - sh-, maybe that is the future of South Park," added cohort Matt Stone.

The pair talked a lot about making a game vs. making a show or a movie, and how video games simply allow them to do things and follow story threads that other media cannot. In fact, The Fractured But Whole was initially set to be another South Park movie, but Ubisoft convinced the pair to make a game instead.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/south-park-video-games-trey-parker-matt-stone]

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
If I could talk to them, I'd just say something like this: "Matt and Trey, please just man up and admit you are sick and tired of doing the show already instead of saying crap like this, anybody that watches it anymore can tell you stopped caring a long time ago. You want South Park to go into games much more now is fine, but there's nothing stopping you from doing the show at the same time, you just don't care to."

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
You want South Park to go into games much more now is fine, but there's nothing stopping you from doing the show at the same time, you just don't care to."
You do realize how much work they have to put into the show to make it topical, right? Each episode is essentially written the week before it airs. Making and directing video games is a full time job. It is absolutely impractical to do both at the same time for extended periods of time.

As for them being tired of making the show...well, I haven't had cable for 5 years now since I watch all the shows I care for online. I can't speak for the quality of the show now, how its changed, or how the creators have changed. With that said part of me feels like they aren't tired of making the show - they are just tired, period. They want slightly more downtime and a lower-stress environment. Video games definitely offers that. I think they've built up South Park enough through the show where the world and characters can stand on their own in that format.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
If I could talk to them, I'd just say something like this: "Matt and Trey, please just man up and admit you are sick and tired of doing the show already instead of saying crap like this, anybody that watches it anymore can tell you stopped caring a long time ago. You want South Park to go into games much more now is fine, but there's nothing stopping you from doing the show at the same time, you just don't care to."
"... anybody that watches it anymore can tell you stopped caring a long time ago." Really? I can't see that at all, especially since they did something completely new for the last season. I'm still under the impression that they care about the show, if they didn't it would show in terms of quality. And yes, people always have different opinions about what is good and not, but I do dare say that South Park doesn't suck, nor has Trey and Matt gotten lazy when making the show.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
immortalfrieza said:
Matt and Trey also have produced successful movies and one of the most critically acclaimed plays on Broadway, so if they wanted to stop making the show to do something else, they could have quit a long time ago. Also, while the show is different from when it started, I think the longer form storylines and deeper social commentary demonstrates that someone on that team is still putting in effort.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Trucken said:
immortalfrieza said:
"... anybody that watches it anymore can tell you stopped caring a long time ago." Really? I can't see that at all, especially since they did something completely new for the last season. I'm still under the impression that they care about the show, if they didn't it would show in terms of quality. And yes, people always have different opinions about what is good and not, but I do dare say that South Park doesn't suck, nor has Trey and Matt gotten lazy when making the show.
South Park was once a show that made effective jokes both topical and not, the topical ones that were funny even to people who had no clue what the topical things were, had actual plots worth watching, and had characters that had something to them besides simply being total idiots. However, one may argue as to when it happened but the fact is for years now the show has been reduced to "jokes" that are nothing more to them but pitiful attempts at shock value and every character utterly one note that are as stupid as the show's writers can imagine people with the sole exception of the kids themselves and even then only on occasion. A total lack of care and effort for their episodes has been readily apparent for the series for a long time.

South Park is decent at best with the occasional moments of genius seeping out these days, unlike it used to be which was good consistently with plenty moments of genius.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Trucken said:
immortalfrieza said:
South Park was once a show that made effective jokes both topical and not, the topical ones that were funny even to people who had no clue what the topical things were, had actual plots worth watching, and had characters that had something to them besides simply being total idiots. However, one may argue as to when it happened but the fact is for years now the show has been reduced to "jokes" that are nothing more to them but pitiful attempts at shock value and every character utterly one note that are as stupid as the show's writers can imagine people with the sole exception of the kids themselves and even then only on occasion. A total lack of care and effort for their episodes has been readily apparent for the series for a long time.

South Park is decent at best with the occasional moments of genius seeping out these days, unlike it used to be which was good consistently with plenty moments of genius.
I don't agree. I still think it's obvious a lot of work goes into making South Park and that Trey and Matt, if anything, might even put more effort into the writing of it.

In the end though, none of this matters. You and me don't agree and we're not gonna make each other see things differently. If you think it sucks now, fine, you're entitled to your own opinion. I just don't agree with it.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Trucken said:
immortalfrieza said:
Trucken said:
immortalfrieza said:

I don't agree. I still think it's obvious a lot of work goes into making South Park and that Trey and Matt, if anything, might even put more effort into the writing of it.

In the end though, none of this matters. You and me don't agree and we're not gonna make each other see things differently. If you think it sucks now, fine, you're entitled to your own opinion. I just don't agree with it.
I don't agree either, if anything South Park has become much better since they started using multi-episode story arcs. It has allowed them to create narratives and themes with a little more depth than the single-episode "I learned something today" formula which had become tired and preachy. While the Game of Thrones arc of S17 remains my personal favorite, last season was a pretty fantastic dig at political correctness and consumer capitalism. This guy very effectively articulates the major "philosophical" points of S19:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7y8J0DXhU

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
I think this is a fantastic idea. Stick of Truth was one of the best games I have ever played (they even made the boring Final Fantasy 7 combat style fun). It had the experience of a team of game creators specialized in making story heavy role playing games behind it, namely Obsidian, who know their shit and deliver great games, if you provide them with the time and money needed. At the same time it had the writing that makes/made the show so great to watch. It may be up to debate, if the show is still great, but in the game it worked, and the overall reviews showed that.
I would love to see more installments of South Park games, as long as they keep the current constellation of game creators and writers. And I would not mind if they stopped doing the TV show, since it is very infrequent anyway ;-)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Higgs303 said:
I don't agree either, if anything South Park has become much better since they started using multi-episode story arcs. It has allowed them to create narratives and themes with a little more depth than the single-episode "I learned something today" formula which had become tired and preachy.
And I disagree too, with you ^^

South Park has certainly changed in how it is written, but it has also lost it's impact, and what made it stand out most is gone. While I still think it's great that they try to parody certain controversial topics, I feel like they've toned it down too much. None of it seems daring anymore, and a lot of their jokes now (if not all) feel tired, and some are just referencing the past. Even the characters themselves are written like it's an over-used formula, pulling out no extreme punches.

Depth is nice and all, but without the 'meat', I'm not going to be interested. And the "I learned something today" thing was a parody on classic shows. It used to be all one big ass joke, killing cliche's and back handing morons in a reckless unapologetic fashion. It needed to be loud to stand out, like Eminem used to be. Now it just sits in the background with the others.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I wonder how many people realize that if you put the last two words in the title together, you get a whole (well fractured) new meaning.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
wulfy42 said:
I wonder how many people realize that if you put the last two words in the title together, you get a whole (well fractured) new meaning.
I think pretty much everyone noticed that a year ago, when the game was announced. The first trailer had Cartman sniggering immaturely as the title flashed across the screen.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Well the games requires a hell of a lot less effort from a writing standpoint.

Instead of up-to-date political satire and commentary you just needs lots of references to the show and to video game tropes. Don't get me wrong I really liked the Stick of Truth but it didn't really have anything particularly new in it.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
wulfy42 said:
I actually heard the title pronounced before I saw it written so this revelation was the other way round for me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well they've been trying to get the show canceled for years, so wouldn't surprise me at all. And it might be for the best. South Park can get exhausting as is, and being able to actually play through something at your own pace might help it along.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Is this the first step for gaming signaling a threat to television? The creators know that gaming is evolving and it even might be a real competitor to all other forms of media. I know they are talking about just their show, but there is also that to consider.

South Park along with the Simpsons has over 15 seasons, you know what they say about shows like these, even if good episodes continue to air. Stick of Truth was something that took everybody by surprise and as the hype for the new one shows, this can lead to something that works: people get South Park in small doses, but the sheer effort put in each game more than makes up for the time. I can see this working for a lot of shows, particularly Swat Cats.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Honestly, the property loses value without the show. They can make a show in a week and a half, which lets them stay on top of current events. That is why the show is SO GOOD, in my opinion. But since games are capable of doing what show has been doing for such a long time at this point, I mean emulating it's structure and art, then there is definitely a future in games for them.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Speak for yourself man. Season 19 was easily one of my favorite seasons so far. Aside from the last few episodes being a bit too rushed to come to a conclusion, the entire season was gold.