South Park: The Fractured But Whole PC System Requirements Announced

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
South Park: The Fractured But Whole PC System Requirements Announced

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1421/1421820.jpgYou won't need a monster PC to run South Park: The Fractured But Whole, as these system requirements show.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole has faced a launching in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168418-South-Park-The-Fractured-But-Whole-Delayed-into-Next-Year]. The new game is being developed by Ubisoft San Francisco, and features the South Park kids parodying the Marvel movies.

If you're wondering if your PC will be able to run the game when it comes out, Ubisoft has revealed the system requirements. Assuming you've upgraded your PC ni the last few years, you should be just fine.

Minimum requirements
Resolution: 720p / ~60FPS
Video Preset: Low

OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5 2400 | AMD FX 4320 or equivalent
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti / GTX 650 / GTX 750 / GTX 950 / GTX 1050 or AMD Radeon HD 7850 / R9 270 / R9 370 / RX 460 (2GB VRAM or above.)
System ram: 6 GB

Recommended requirements
Resolution: 1080p at ~60FPS
Video Preset: High

OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 / GTX 750ti / GTX 960 / GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon R9 280X / R9 380 / RX 470 (2 GB VRAM or above)
System RAM: 8 GB

South Park: The Fractured But Whole is coming to PC< PS4, and Xbox One on October 17. If you never played South Park: The Stick of Truth, you can grab a free copy by pre-ordering the new game.

[gallery=7589]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Those are pretty high system requirements for a game that comes out looking like an episode of South Park.

I mean, don't get me wrong- it seems to emulate South Park pretty successfully. But so did Stick of Truth, with much lower requirements. It's harder for me to understand how a game that doesn't seem like it's trying to push high polygon counts, or sub-surface scattering, or ultra-realistic lighting, or 60+ FPS, ends up needing over 3 GHz of processor speed just to run at 720p.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Callate said:
Those are pretty high system requirements for a game that comes out looking like an episode of South Park.

I mean, don't get me wrong- it seems to emulate South Park pretty successfully. But so did Stick of Truth, with much lower requirements. It's harder for me to understand how a game that doesn't seem like it's trying to push high polygon counts, or sub-surface scattering, or ultra-realistic lighting, or 60+ FPS, ends up needing over 3 GHz of processor speed just to run at 720p.
From what I've heard about development:

If you want to optimize games and programs, you have to specify the hardware. So you take a range of cards and processors, families of those, and optimize for those. APIs not only do the rest, but make them compatible with other hardware as well but for a cost. So a business looks at what is used the most and optimizes for them. And to cut corners, which isn't uncommon and as bad as it sounds in this case, you optimize for ball park ranges like 2 GB of VRAM, etc.

This also would explain why some games run pretty well on older hardware despite what the requirements say. It simply wasn't tested and, if the dev's uphold the promises they give regarding the requirements, was instead tested and optimized for the listed hardware and the architectures.

Similar to consoles, afaik and practically talking out of my ass here with the little practical knowledge I have on top of the videos I watched.

But it surprises me, too.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Naldan said:
Callate said:

From what I've heard about development:

If you want to optimize games and programs, you have to specify the hardware. So you take a range of cards and processors, families of those, and optimize for those. APIs not only do the rest, but make them compatible with other hardware as well but for a cost. So a business looks at what is used the most and optimizes for them. And to cut corners, which isn't uncommon and as bad as it sounds in this case, you optimize for ball park ranges like 2 GB of VRAM, etc.

This also would explain why some games run pretty well on older hardware despite what the requirements say. It simply wasn't tested and, if the dev's uphold the promises they give regarding the requirements, was instead tested and optimized for the listed hardware and the architectures.

Similar to consoles, afaik and practically talking out of my ass here with the little practical knowledge I have on top of the videos I watched.

But it surprises me, too.
Interesting insight. Thanks!

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Bof, I do not care too much, the next South Park will surely work well on most PC.