South Park: The Stick of Truth Delayed To 2014

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
South Park: The Stick of Truth Delayed To 2014

South Park: The Stick of Truth won't be out this year after all.

Bad news for South Park fans: Ubisoft has announced that South Park: The Stick of Truth has been pushed back yet again. Ubisoft Communications Manager Gary Steinman said in a blog post that the publisher initially thought it would be an easy job getting the game out the door after it acquired the rights to it from THQ, but it turned out that it wasn't quite as close to finished as everyone believed.

"Within three weeks after acquiring the game, we sadly realized we had to turn this thing upside down if we hoped to deliver the experience everybody wanted," Ubisoft North America President Laurent Detoc explained. "It's been such a major overhaul to get to the point where we are that we couldn't let it go, even if that meant missing December."

South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker echoed that sentiment, adding, "Getting the game up to the crappy standards of the show has been a real challenge and we're excited to say it's taken way longer than we thought it would."

Bottom line: No Stick of Truth for the holidays, and it's THQ's fault. Enjoy the gameplay trailer!

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-delayed/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Damn you, Development Hell!

There really seems to be some lack of direction for them to be making such major overhauls

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Isn't Obsidian working on this? Or did it change devs when THQ went under?
Its still Obsidian, but now Ubisoft is the publisher.

Hence why I won't be getting it at release, if ever.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
If I had to guess, I'd say Obsidian worked on it without THQ's interference, and was doing a shitty job, forcing Ubisoft to step in and assist.

P.S. Thanks

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ed130 said:
Ubisoft is the publisher.
Welp, that explains a lot right there. Ubisoft seems to love delaying the games people want. Well this has been a really bumpy ride for Stick of Truth that's for sure.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Ed130 said:
Soviet Heavy said:

So wait Ubisoft has become valve?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
"Within three weeks after acquiring the game, we sadly realized we had to turn this thing upside down if we hoped to deliver the experience everybody wanted," Ubisoft North America President Laurent Detoc explained. "It's been such a major overhaul to get to the point where we are that we couldn't let it go, even if that meant missing December."

What bullshit is this? Considering the creators of the show were working on it as well, I highly doubt that the game was in that bad of straights to not warrant the release 6 months ago. Its a side scrolling RPG for Christ's sake! I swear to GOD Ubisoft is fucking with it to make its worthless shit Uplay pass viable for it. They're fucking us over hard with this title release. I smell BULLSHIT.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Akisa said:
Ed130 said:
Soviet Heavy said:

So wait Ubisoft has become valve?
No if Ubisoft become Valve, it wouldn't be getting A release.
He's not getting it AT release.
Whoops must have mis read it ^^'

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmm, Ubisoft seems to be having a bad time with game delays and pushbacks recently.

Then again, people always do say that they'd rather they took time on a game than rush it out and face gamer rage. Its always better to play it safe, fix more bugs, polish it up a bit more.........and then face gamer rage.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I don't mind at all. Obsidian does good work when given time, we all know THQ weren't doing so hot, so it wouldn't surprise me if was in worse shape then Ubi originally thought when buying it. Creators are still on board and I'm sure they'd much rather see a delay too then have their IP get shat on. Ubi/Obsidian, take your damn time, and put out a finished product, I wish more publishers would do this- if it was EA, they'd have just released it immediately with the promise of fixes and additional content Coming Soon (tm).

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ok, it's probably for the best in terms of the game's quality but my impatience is getting ichy...

Damn, I want this game!

[sub][sub][sub][sub]Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay, Please don't need UPlay......[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

TemperHoof

Jan 14, 2013
I get the feeling that they are pushing this back just so they can ensure several segments can be cut out of it for Downloadable Content that they'll repackage later for $9.99 a pop on the Digital Store.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Obsidian have made two of my favourite games ever, but it can't be said they're the smoothest producers ever

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Ubisoft can't even release this game on time! All the delays make me really think Ubisoft is simply going to be a THQ repeat.

Sep 14, 2009
holy shit i loved that trailer, god damn i want this game bad...

ubisoft, please don't mess it up with uplay or something, just polish it off a bit!

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I knew about this but it was not on my radar at all since South Park has always been pretty hit and miss for me. However... after watching that glorious gameplay trailer? Take ALL my money! It looks a LOT better than I expected.