South Park: The Stick of Truth Review - A Storm of Swear Words

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
"at the expensive of"

I think you mean expense. Anyway, as someone who will watch South Park occasionally but mostly find it childlishly purile in its ideology moreso than any of its actual jokes, I don't think this will sit with me. I'm put off from the word "go" with the idea that Jew is a class. I dunno. South Park's idea of fairness is to just give everyone the short stick, which is both terribly pretentious and just kind of more gross than if it actually picked a side.

I mean, South Park is the show that taught a generation it's okay to say "******" and that politics is between "douche and turd". The sincere apathy it fosters is outright creepy, honestly.
I think you need to read between the lines a little more. The show is anything but apathetic. Check out the Trayvon Martin episode.

BrainBlow

Jan 31, 2013
I'll probably just wait a little while until some bugs are sorted out and whatnot, but this definitely sounds like something I want to play.

I think you need to read between the lines a little more. The show is anything but apathetic. Check out the Trayvon Martin episode.
This. An honestly STUNNING amount of people seem to take South Park 100% at face value for some reason. Not reading between the lines is about as useful as reading the Onion for factual news stories.

Artea

Jul 9, 2013
The comment about the game's 'simplistic' graphics seemed pretty ignorant to me. Making the game look exactly like the show is actually quite a complex effort, especially combined with the heavy NPC scripting.

Anyway, I've been playing for hours and haven't ran into a single bug. Between this game and the equally bug-free Dungeon Siege III, I hope the tiresome 'every Obsidian game is buggy' meme can finally be put to rest.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
I view South Park the way I view Grand Theft Auto. It's cleverer than its detractors give it credit for, but not as clever as it gives itself credit for. It is nowhere near as sharp or witty as befits a show with such overbearing smugness, but at the same time, it's not quite the simplified "everybody is dumb, fuck everyone, nihilism rules" show that it's been written off as.

I enjoy the show a lot. I don't like everything it does, and have found a few running jokes fairly miserable, but on the whole, I appreciate it. Few shows have lasted so long and managed to stay so relevant. It has my respect in general, even though I can't always respect what it does.
I agree with you on the whole except maybe that south park is smug. I think I will always be grateful to South Park, not because they are right or because they are fair, but because they taught me (I've been watching this show since I was 9) to not take myself to seriously, and more importantly to not be smug and that being smug could undermine me if I ever had a point I wanted to make.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Decent writing, combat that kinda dregs on you by the end, and bugs--so it really is an Obsidian game. I definitely want to check this out, though. That's a pretty damn appealing review, and, WOW, those cut scenes. And HAHAHA, the scenes they didn't cut. I'll give it a peek.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
ERaptor said:
The whole "******" thing is debatable from the get go, so I wouldnt blame SP exclusively for it.

I actually really like SP for their "We make fun of everyone equally"-rule (because its fair, even if some people disagree), and supported it for the attitude alone. But I also find it really really funny, and watch it regularly since it usually touches on current issues id rather laugh at for once, than cry about..
Eh, "******" is very much hate speech now. It's a sad fact, and the word doesn't change meaning on a whim. Just as "gay" used to mean "happy," and now it means... well, you know, gay. And that word was used for hate speech, too. It evolved naturally into what it is today. The word "******" doesn't instantly become okay because of personal meaning attached to it. It has to be reclaimed same as any other hate word.

Anyway, I don't hate South Park just for picking on both sides. In many debates, both sides have a very twisted view. Finding a middleground is normal and using satire to point that out is quite fine. It's the idea that Parker and Stone seem to raise themselves above those issues by doing so, alleviating themselves of responsibility and kind of speaking on behalf of the reasonable. It's quite pretentious, I find. I do find quite a few parts of the show quite funny - I don't hate the entirety of the show or Parker and Stone; I love Book of Mormon, Orgasmo, Baseketball - it's just that very cynical worldview used in a way that makes South Park seem the "bigger man" when they are entirely at fault oftentimes just... it doesn't sit well with me.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I always find it strange that so many people accuse South Park of being 'smug', when I honestly find the show to be the complete opposite of that. The majority of their satire and political jabs are inspired by Matt Stone and Trey Parker's libertarianism (which they've gone on record as saying numerous times), and the fundamental concept of libertarianism is "I don't know what's best for you".

The definition of "smug" is: "contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent." I honestly can't think of anything more smug than someone having an attitude of "I know what's better for you than you do", which is the complete opposite of Stone and Parker's beliefs.

Anyway, been playing the game for about 1.5 hours, it's hilarious, it's fun, I love it.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
ERaptor said:
The whole "******" thing is debatable from the get go, so I wouldnt blame SP exclusively for it.

I actually really like SP for their "We make fun of everyone equally"-rule (because its fair, even if some people disagree), and supported it for the attitude alone. But I also find it really really funny, and watch it regularly since it usually touches on current issues id rather laugh at for once, than cry about..
Eh, "******" is very much hate speech now. It's a sad fact, and the word doesn't change meaning on a whim. Just as "gay" used to mean "happy," and now it means... well, you know, gay. And that word was used for hate speech, too. It evolved naturally into what it is today. The word "******" doesn't instantly become okay because of personal meaning attached to it. It has to be reclaimed same as any other hate word.

Anyway, I don't hate South Park just for picking on both sides. In many debates, both sides have a very twisted view. Finding a middleground is normal and using satire to point that out is quite fine. It's the idea that Parker and Stone seem to raise themselves above those issues by doing so, alleviating themselves of responsibility and kind of speaking on behalf of the reasonable. It's quite pretentious, I find. I do find quite a few parts of the show quite funny - I don't hate the entirety of the show or Parker and Stone; I love Book of Mormon, Orgasmo, Baseketball - it's just that very cynical worldview used in a way that makes South Park seem the "bigger man" when they are entirely at fault oftentimes just... it doesn't sit well with me.
Eh, I think many people are looking for a deeper message or clever parody where they are nonexistent. SP was and will allways be the kid that makes offensive jokes and gets extra excited if the offended party gets mad about it. The exception is at LEAST, they do it for everyone and anyone, and dont focus on a specific party. I enver felt that they were making statements, or that there was some kind of message in the episodes. But I never actually followed the creators, so I ahve no idea if they are promoting something outside of the series.

And, without wanting to derail, words are innocent. As George Carlin said, words are just words. Its the context people that use it who add meaning to it. So to me, using "******" as a word is completely fine as long as im not using it to belittle homosexuals. There was a sketch from Louis CK as well, that said it best. "Im not calling someone a ****** because hes gay, im calling him a ****** because...you know he's a ******!". Its not any different to me than "asshole" or other swears. Regardless of what other people use it for. And frankly, since I dont use it publically (at least, I try. When hanging with friends it sometimes slips.), I never had to deal with anyone getting offended outside the Internet. And honestly, I wouldnt care if they did.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
ERaptor said:
So to me, using "******" as a word is completely fine as long as im not using it to belittle homosexuals. There was a sketch from Louis CK as well, that said it best. "Im not calling someone a ****** because hes gay, im calling him a ****** because...you know he's a ******!". Its not any different to me than "asshole" or other swears.
I hate that mentality. The society you're in gives context to the words you use, regardless of your intention. If you use the word "******" around me, regardless of your intention (you wanna use it like "asshole," etc.), I'm going to hear the word as if it was thrown at me because I'm gay. That meaning will not go away because you will it to. I mean, the word asshole does mean something, it means ass hole. You may be using it as a swear but it's only a swear because of what it means; same with "fuck," "****," even "bugger". Those words are not actually devoid of definition. Same with "******".

At any rate, you still shouldn't be teaching people it's okay to use certain words because they mean something different to you. Words are how we communicate as a species, and what the words mean to other people is most important. It wouldn't be worth speaking at all if that weren't the case! You can only speak to other people...

Artea

Jul 9, 2013
BehattedWanderer said:
Decent writing, combat that kinda dregs on you by the end, and bugs--so it really is an Obsidian game.
It's actually not the typical Obsidian game. The South Park creators did the writing, and the game is almost entirely bug-free. The reviewer even had to mention a bug found by another reviewer to take a cheap shot at Obsidian, which I found pretty baffling.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Artea said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Decent writing, combat that kinda dregs on you by the end, and bugs--so it really is an Obsidian game.
It's actually not the typical Obsidian game. The South Park creators did the writing, and the game is almost entirely bug-free. The reviewer even had to mention a bug found by another reviewer to take a cheap shot at Obsidian, which I found pretty baffling.
Because nothing says "this company has a track record of sloppy coding" like demonstrating that a company has a track record of sloppy coding.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I just finished it about an hour ago of this posting and it clocked around 16 hours and I'm STILL missing stuff in game. I really think the creators meant for you to tackle the majority of the sidequests as post game content considering the levels you got equipment upgrades in the main story.

As for glitches, the only one I encountered is sometimes your character will just "slide" across the ground instead of "hop" like they usually do. Also every once in a while you'll see stat buff/debuff icons pop up over your head out of combat. However of the recent Obsidian releases I've played this is their most polished project I personally have played.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Woah, look at all those comments not going nuclear about censorship. Thanks, everyone.

*sniff*

Thanks.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
ERaptor said:
So to me, using "******" as a word is completely fine as long as im not using it to belittle homosexuals. There was a sketch from Louis CK as well, that said it best. "Im not calling someone a ****** because hes gay, im calling him a ****** because...you know he's a ******!". Its not any different to me than "asshole" or other swears.
I hate that mentality. The society you're in gives context to the words you use, regardless of your intention. If you use the word "******" around me, regardless of your intention (you wanna use it like "asshole," etc.), I'm going to hear the word as if it was thrown at me because I'm gay. That meaning will not go away because you will it to. I mean, the word asshole does mean something, it means ass hole. You may be using it as a swear but it's only a swear because of what it means; same with "fuck," "****," even "bugger". Those words are not actually devoid of definition. Same with "******".

At any rate, you still shouldn't be teaching people it's okay to use certain words because they mean something different to you. Words are how we communicate as a species, and what the words mean to other people is most important. It wouldn't be worth speaking at all if that weren't the case! You can only speak to other people...
Im not "teaching". Im having an opinion. Its not like I can force you to accept the word, just like you cant force me to ban it from my vocabulary. I mean, im probably just less empathic than you'd like. I dont care if people around me dont like my use of words. Thats their problem, not mine. At least as long as im not directly insulting them. This is one of the reasons I think the whole "being offended"-thing has become meaningless. You can say it anywhere, everywhere all the time, because of personal interpretation. But im not good enough a person to care what every other person I meet feels or thinks. Or adjust my vocabulary until its completely politically correct. If you dont like my use of words, or find it offensive or whatever, dont interact with me. I'll do the same and we're both happy.

That's also the reason I enver understood why Sout Park gets so many people so upset. Noone fores you to watch the show, or play the game. Move on and ignore it.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
ERaptor said:
Thats their problem, not mine. At least as long as im not directly insulting them. This is one of the reasons I think the whole "being offended"-thing has become meaningless. You can say it anywhere, everywhere all the time, because of personal interpretation. But im not good enough a person to care what every other person I meet feels or thinks.
I get that you may use the word in contexts in which people around don't care. That's fine, that's cool, that's your prerogative.

Using it in a situation where you are acutely aware that you may upset someone is bullying. You are actively going out of your way to do something you know will hurt someone, and yes, them being hurt is "their problem" strictly as a matter of fact, but it's your actions that make it their problem.

If you use a word, and someone asks you not to use the word because it upsets them, and you have no reason to use the word and you keep using it, then that's what a bully does. Worse still, a sociopath. Unless you absolutely have to use a word in the presence of others, of course, like you're testifying in court or something.

I mean, hey, I'm cool with it on the internet because, as you very rightly say, it's my choice to be on here. I can switch off at any time. But if you say it in a place I can't escape from, like at my work or something... I dunno. That's being a dick, that is. You don't need to care what people think, you need to know that they care what you say anyway.

Edit: I was referring to South Park as doing the teaching, not you. Just bee tee doubleyou.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
ERaptor said:
Thats their problem, not mine. At least as long as im not directly insulting them. This is one of the reasons I think the whole "being offended"-thing has become meaningless. You can say it anywhere, everywhere all the time, because of personal interpretation. But im not good enough a person to care what every other person I meet feels or thinks.
I get that you may use the word in contexts in which people around don't care. That's fine, that's cool, that's your prerogative.

Using it in a situation where you are acutely aware that you may upset someone is bullying. You are actively going out of your way to do something you know will hurt someone, and yes, them being hurt is "their problem" strictly as a matter of fact, but it's your actions that make it their problem.

If you use a word, and someone asks you not to use the word because it upsets them, and you have no reason to use the word and you keep using it, then that's what a bully does. Worse still, a sociopath. Unless you absolutely have to use a word in the presence of others, of course, like you're testifying in court or something.

I mean, hey, I'm cool with it on the internet because, as you very rightly say, it's my choice to be on here. I can switch off at any time. But if you say it in a place I can't escape from, like at my work or something... I dunno. That's being a dick, that is. You don't need to care what people think, you need to know that they care what you say anyway.

Edit: I was referring to South Park as doing the teaching, not you. Just bee tee doubleyou.
Okay, Workplace is something different. I was speaking specifically about places or situations where there IS plenty of room to dodge, or move on, or not getting involved. I use a completely different language at work (working in an office, you usually have to pretend to be a completely different person anyway)and I really dont go out of my way to use the most polarizing words around certain people. Because in that case, you're very right, that would be bullying.

But in the case of South Park (sorry for misunderstand your point about "teaching" btw, altough I really dont think SP had THAT much of an influence on people.) or me hanging with buddies, or on platforms or whatever, I think people "choose" to get up in arms about stuff. Watching/playing South Park as someone who's sensitive or easily offended isnt exactly the best or most though-out decision one can make. Hence why I think its stupid to demonize the show like some people do. Its either your kind of humor, or it isnt.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
ERaptor said:
But in the case of South Park (sorry for misunderstand your point about "teaching" btw, altough I really dont think SP had THAT much of an influence on people.) or me hanging with buddies, or on platforms or whatever, I think people "choose" to get up in arms about stuff. Watching/playing South Park as someone who's sensitive or easily offended isnt exactly the best or most though-out decision one can make. Hence why I think its stupid to demonize the show like some people do. Its either your kind of humor, or it isnt.
I agree that people choose to get up in arms, but I have to confirm that you do not think people choose to get offended. That is an involuntary feeling. If I could not be hurt by being called a ****** I would abso-fucking-lutely take that choice. I do not have that choice. Or if I ever did, it passed me by a long, long time ago. (And I think, there are places where you should and shouldn't use such vocabulary on the internet. Places like The Escapist I would say should be held to a higher standard than, say, 4chan. If only slightly, considering Yahtzee found his home here.)

But absolutely things like television, movies, music, comics... I don't like that they say those kind of things, and I shan't abide by it regarding societal context, but I also shan't say that they are in some way bugging me. South Park indeed is not poking at me and saying HEY. HEY. WATCH ME. WATCH SOUTH PARK. The show has no such power. It might annoy me that it happens, and it may also offend me in a general kind of scope of "oh I don't like the normalization of hate speech and ignorance regarding gender identity issues etc. etc. [Tumblr/SJW BS blahblahblah]" but I shall not take it as an affront to my ideologies personally. That would be childish and irrational. I'm just passively grumpy.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
me and my friend playing this literally fell off the couch laughing when we set jimmy on fire, and he ran around in a circle continually waiting for me to pick my next move.