South Park: The Stick of Truth Still Coming in 2013

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
South Park: The Stick of Truth Still Coming in 2013

Despite a change in publishers and opposition from South Park Studios, Ubisoft's upcoming South Park RPG won't face more delays.

Ever since a court objection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114473-Obsidian-Unveils-South-Park-RPG] from South Park Studios, there was little news about The Stick of Truth. There's no need to worry, though; Ubisoft has confirmed that Obsidian's South Park RPG is still due out in 2013.

If everything had gone according to plan (and THQ hadn't needed to file for bankruptcy), The Stick of Truth would have been released earlier this year. THQ delayed South Park [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120505-THQ-Delays-South-Park-Company-of-Heroes-2-and-Metro-Last-Light] (and a handful of other titles) in late 2012, pushing The Stick of Truth to "early fiscal 2014." Ubisoft hasn't announced a new release date since acquiring the game, making today's news the first indication that it's still on track to come out within the next few months.

The questionable release of South Park: The Stick of Truth is a sad reminder of THQ's fate, but the silver lining is that the RPG found a new home at Ubisoft instead of being canceled outright. Those of us who have been waiting patiently now have another big game to look forward to in 2013; all we can do is hope that the bumpy road to completion isn't reflected in the final product.

Source: Polygon [http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/south_park_the_game/news/south_park_the_stick_of_truth_still_on_track_for_2013_release_ubisoft_confirms.html]

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I'm sorry. I want this game to be really good. But I predict a fiasco/failure. I really want to be wrong about that though...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
If it has Uplay then I'm not getting it.

Besides I'm already supporting Obsidian directly with Project Eternity.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Ed130 said:

Why the uPlay hate? No love for a mildly irritating launcher that lets you unlock inconsequential things in games due to achievements achieved playing other games? I, for one, can't wait to unlock a 6 pack of Diet Double Dew for Cartman or Kyle's Jew Gold perk item/perk with uPlay points earned killing Blood Dragons or stealth killing the Borgia.

Sarcasm, or not? You decide!

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
tangoprime said:
Ed130 said:

Why the uPlay hate? No love for a mildly irritating launcher that lets you unlock inconsequential things in games due to achievements achieved playing other games? I, for one, can't wait to unlock a 6 pack of Diet Double Dew for Cartman or Kyle's Jew Gold perk item/perk with uPlay points earned killing Blood Dragons or stealth killing the Borgia.

It's got the same problem as Origin, desperately trying to jump onto the bandwagon that Steam has raced off in years ago.

Bringing very little to the table and having only basic features doesn't help, neither did Ubi's previous stance on Always Online DRM.

I simply don't trust Ubisoft enough to build a Uplay game library.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
wondered what happened to this game, still keep seeing the pre-order cards at walmart and places.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I would have rather seen the game die than fall into the hands of Ubisoft. Now it's going to come bloated with their shitty DRM schemes and be put behind the Uplay wall even if bought through Steam.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Ed130 said:

Same here. I've been looking forward to this for a while, but if Ubisoft sticks in thier own DRM I'm out.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
tangoprime said:
Why the uPlay hate? No love for a mildly irritating launcher that lets you unlock inconsequential things in games due to achievements achieved playing other games?
I can't speak for everyone else, but for me it's the lack of gamepad support. I bought Trials Evolution: Gold Edition on Steam, a game that really is meant to be played with a gamepad, hoping to use it with Big Picture mode... but I have to go pull out my mouse every time I play it, because there's a mouse-only launcher in the way. Eventually I found a fan-made solution that automatically clicks play on the Uplay launcher, but this sort of thing really shouldn't require a third-party solution.

P.S. Thanks

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Is this the one where you make your own South Park character and join the group as the new kid?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I had wanted to get this game so badly. Now its another one along with Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon that I'm going to have to skip because I refuse to allow the UPLAY malware on my system.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ubisoft eh? Maybe there's a chance it'll be brought over to the Wii U eventually. Otherwise I'll probably pick it up on the PS3. I honestly haven't been too interested in this one but since it isn't dead I think I'll give it a look.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
As much as everyone hates Ubisoft, which I certainly don't, I'm pretty confident saying that they know when or when not to stick their fingers into an ongoing project. UPlay has improved with time and I'm confident in their judgement that they'll leave this to Obsidian. If this game is crap, I'm pretty sure we can blame the game concept or Obsidian, not Ubisoft.
Just now we've seen Ubisoft being a publisher not scared of launching something weird, with Blood Dragon being cheap AND standalone, not forcing people to buy Far Cry 3 for it first. They also backed the vita with a very good assassin's creed game, while being a normal assassin's creed game we've seen loads of times, is a full, good game on a portable.
If you say you won't buy Ubisoft because UPlay is a rip-off of Steam, you are being ignorant. One less-sucessful digital distribution network is not a rip-off of the sucessful one.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
tangoprime said:
Ed130 said:

U play is pretty sweet on the 360 just sayin

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
squid5580 said:
tangoprime said:
Ed130 said:

And now I'm not sure if ANY of you are serious. ARGH!

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
thehorror2 said:
squid5580 said:
tangoprime said:
Ed130 said:

And now I'm not sure if ANY of you are serious. ARGH!
I am serious about disliking Uplay. In fact its one of the reasons why I'm not going to shell out for the next AC game.

Ed130 said:
It's got the same problem as Origin, desperately trying to jump onto the bandwagon that Steam has raced off in years ago.

Bringing very little to the table and having only basic features doesn't help, neither did Ubi's previous stance on Always Online DRM.

I simply don't trust Ubisoft enough to build a Uplay game library.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I had wanted to get this game so badly. Now its another one along with Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon that I'm going to have to skip because I refuse to allow the UPLAY malware on my system.
Uplay is a lot of things: Useless, annoying, and a waste of space, but it's not malware. It doesn't secretly keep running when you quit it, it doesn't use up a bunch of CPU time when it's in the background, it doesn't touch any applications except for its own games. At worst, it's an annoying launcher and very minimal additional DRM (seriously, all the DRM it actually does is a registration, which seems not to have any activation limits).

Of course, you can keep ignorantly using terms like "malware" to simply mean "software you don't like". I can't stop you. But that doesn't mean it actually is malware.

P.S. Thanks