South Park: The Stick of Truth Won't Require Uplay

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
South Park: The Stick of Truth Won't Require Uplay

You won't need to use Ubisoft's proprietary gaming platform Uplay for the PC version of South Park: The Stick of Truth.

While we heard earlier today that Respawn Entertainment's upcoming Titanfall will will not require Uplay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132009-Titanfall-On-PC-Will-Require-Origin] for the PC version of the game.

"No, Uplay will not be featured in SP:SOT," stated the official Obsidian Twitter account, in response to a question over whether or not the Steam version of the game will require Uplay to run.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/430824603682746368]

Ubisoft's Uplay is one of the newest players in digital storefronts/game managers. Like Steam and Origin before it, it allows players to buy and play various Ubisoft titles. A major distinction between it and competitor Origin is that you can actually purchase non-Ubisoft titles from the Uplay store [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122227-Ubisoft-to-Sell-Competitions-Games-on-Uplay-Store], and the amount of games that actually require the client to be installed is quite low.

So you can go ahead and pre-order the game on Steam without having to worry about installing another game manager. Good to hear!

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/430824603682746368]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Woohoo! In your face EA. I guess all those always online shenanigans from Driver: San Francisco and Assassin's Creed 2 bit them in the ass enough that Ubisoft just wants to sell their games now instead of playing grab ass with the pirates that always get past their DRM anyway. I'd buy it on uplay, but that might send mixed messages about our reception to this news. Now if only EA would release Titanfall on Steam a month or so after Origin, it would be like all happy like that one espisode of South Park with the pile.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well this is surprising, can we now have all games made by ubi not require Uplay now?, because you know it's still shit to have an online service attached to your games like shitty DRM.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Get the guns out, folks. Looks like the companies are going to try not shooting themselves for a change.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Can't say I am interested in the game, but thank the world they aren't using a DRM platform. My old PC turned into a zoo because of all the DRM having to run.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hurray! Maybe Ubisoft are learning and they'll just drop the DRM completely from all future titles. I'm still annoyed that they delayed it for so long though.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
YES!!!!!!

I've been waiting for this news ever since Ubisoft took over Obsidian!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Cool. Now just remove Uplay from Farcry 3, and the entire Assassin's Creed franchise starting from II. Irritating DRM just encourages piracy, it doesn't prevent it.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Nice, because while I really wanted to get this game Uplay would have been a no-go here. If I'm getting a game on Steam I will not tolerate any additional DRM.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Nice. Now I can actually justify a purchase, which is a great relief.

I'm not touching any game that's shackled to Uplay.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Get the guns out, folks. Looks like the companies are going to try not shooting themselves for a change.
Maybe they just went out to the store for more bullets and this one snuck in.

I was considering this game and now it just jumped up on the list a few levels

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
AstaresPanda said:
So why cant EA do this and put TitanFall on steam ?
Because they are EA and because you can't really compare Uplay with Steam since when you buy Ubisoft games on Steam you still have to use Uplay, but your game is on Steam's games library.

EA wants to keep their game exclusive to their "platform" so to speak. Huh, feels the same way where Sony/Microsoft keeps their games hostage to force people to buy it for their respective consoles.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
This is nice, especially since somehow my uplay and far cry 3 installations got corrupted to the point where I can't do anything with either of them now and I haven't had the time to manually strip them out of my system.

I've been looking forward to the release of the south park game for ages, and now this is like someone is giving me free pie with it, too.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
YES!!!!!!

I think Obsidian was making this for Ubisoft; aren't they an independent company now? Pillars of Eternity is being developed from a Kickstarter.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Clovus said:
-Dragmire- said:
YES!!!!!!

I think Obsidian was making this for Ubisoft; aren't they an independent company now? Pillars of Eternity is being developed from a Kickstarter.
That may me right, they did take over the Stick of Truth contract but I guess the studio itself might be independent. Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm not sure.