SouthPark: Chinatown Wars Is Worth Thirty Shekels

Feb 13, 2008
SouthPark: Chinatown Wars Is Worth Thirty Shekels

The moral velociraptor of our times lets fly again with the story of Jesus, the Credit Crunch and GTA Chinatown Wars. Classy.

In "Margaritaville", aired last night, the episode follows the rough period from the Sermon on the Mount to The Last Supper with a few "clever" alterations - For instance, replacing God with the Economy, talking about how "The Economy has failed us" and "The Jewish Kid must be the Son of the Economy"

The Last Supper takes place over pizza, of course, with Eric Cartman saying that anyone who betrays the new Son of the Economy "is a dick." No surprises who is the eventual Judas here - instead of the usual thirty pieces of silver, Cartman has already made a deal with the council for a Nintendo DS and GTA: Chinatown Wars. Cartman states his need to be popular, and it's not as if he's not sold out his friends before.

While the show almost manages to get past PacMan Fever [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PacManFever] (Writing about games with very inaccurate information), it slips up once when Cartman refers to Chinatown Wars as GTA 4. Then again, these are the guys that brought us the "documentary" Make Love Not Warcraft [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Love,_Not_Warcraft], so I think they can be forgiven that one.

The episode [http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/220760/] can be viewed over at Comedy Central. Sadly, non-US dwellers are faced with the standard [Denied] page.

Perhaps it's for the best, because the final punchline - which I won't mention here - will largely only make sense to the American audience.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
ohellynot said:
I never really liked south park, then again I am more mature that 12 year olds
The show has evolved greatly. Its not just juvenile shock humor anymore. It has actually become very satirical.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Meh, the newer episodes keep disappointing me.

I mean I still chuckle, and even laugh at some of the jokes, but eversince the dawn of season 11 or 12 I feel they're losing their touch.

Night_Wolf

Mar 25, 2009
I saw that last night. Personlay the ending was exactly what i thought it would be. "The sacrafice of Brak Obama" "GOD DAMNIT!" Also thats prity typical of South Park.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I miss the days of the surreal stories in South park..like when the Father Maxis(or whatever its his name) goes to the Vatican and in the end we find out the Vatican is ruled by the Great Queen Spider, or Lemmiwinks tale and even the Alien taco that craps icecream...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The chicken scene made me roar with laughter.

I think that anyone thinking that Southpark is all about 12 year old humor just doesn't get it. The chicken in last night's episode was so damn funny, but at the same time, it also was ridiculously true. Matt and Trey are great at taking things in today's society, and coming up with some insane analogy which conveys more truth than the real issue does. If it was all toilet humor, then it would be just another Family Guy.

Speaking of which, the show "Terrence and Phillip" was created SPECIFICALLY for the people who think southpark is about fart humor. Trey said in one of the commentaries, "so they think southpark is all just fart jokes? Well, let's give them a show all about fart jokes."

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
kawligia said:
ohellynot said:
The show has evolved greatly. Its not just juvenile shock humor anymore. It has actually become very satirical.
If by "very satirical" you mean "look down at everyone hypocritically". Come on, these are the same people that devoted 2 episodes to taking shots at Phil Collins because they couldn't take the fact they lost an Oscar to him. Apparently losing wasn't the problem, just that it was him.

Parker & Stone love to act like they're grown up and sophisticated, but they really aren't, I don't care what the people in charge of the Peabody awards think.

Not to say the show isn't funny sometimes, but it's really lost its touch in the past couple of years, instead relying on spending 30 minutes just to make one joke that in the end isn't even that funny.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
I don't know. I still laugh my balls of whenever I get a chance to see it. I don't see it all that much so maybe that helps.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
kawligia said:
ohellynot said:
Agreed. Although I've not really keep up so much as I used too as they only show it on random channels and times over here in UK land.

Although "Team America" didn't impress me - it was just naff, not funny naff like South Park's animation, just naff-naff. Add to that, pretty much ended up as 'America === teh best in world!!1!!!!!11!'

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
AceDiamond said:
kawligia said:
ohellynot said:
If by "very satirical" you mean "look down at everyone hypocritically".
I think you mean "critically" and if so, then yes, that is exactly what I mean. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satire

Doug said:
kawligia said:
ohellynot said:
Agreed. Although I've not really keep up so much as I used too as they only show it on random channels and times over here in UK land.

Although "Team America" didn't impress me - it was just naff, not funny naff like South Park's animation, just naff-naff. Add to that, pretty much ended up as 'America === teh best in world!!1!!!!!11!'
You can watch them all for free on teh internetz. http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
oliveira8 said:
I miss the days of the surreal stories in South park..like when the Father Maxis(or whatever its his name) goes to the Vatican and in the end we find out the Vatican is ruled by the Great Queen Spider, or Lemmiwinks tale and even the Alien taco that craps icecream...
I agree, it was better when it was more random. Now, a lot of the jokes seem telegraphed. Still, it's one of the best shows out there and among my favorites.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Yeah, it has been a while since a really bizzare episode... But they are beginning to lean torwards a more realistic satire than a trippy, surreal experience. That isn't to say it isn't good, and the show has evolved greatly over the years from a simple slapstick, to a bizarre sit-com like endevour, to a sharp satire of politics and pop culture.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
ohellynot said:
Since when was satire childish? Or do you not understand satire?

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Kogarian said:
ohellynot said:
Since when was satire childish? Or do you not understand satire?
Im 20 and i love south park. But i guess some people are afraid of watching cartoons, bacause they think people will think of them as immature