Soviet-Themed Trailer Teases New Assassin's Creed Comic Book

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Soviet-Themed Trailer Teases New Assassin's Creed Comic Book

First the Holy Land, then Italy; where next for Assassin's Creed [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-Xbox-360/dp/B003L8HQ7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279289973&sr=8-1]? The answer, it seems, is Siberia.

Back in June [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101078-Secret-Assassins-Creed-Projects-in-the-Works], it was announced that Cameron Stewart and Karl Kerschl were working on a new comic book project based on a "immensely popular" Ubisoft property, with a strong implication that it would be assassin themed. Fast forward a month and a half, and that implication has solidified into fact with the announcement of a Assassin's Creed comic book mini-series set in Russia at the start of the 20th century.

The teaser trailer for the book starts with a black and white cinema newsreel which announces that a Soviet expedition has uncovered new evidence about what really happened in the Lake Baikal explosion - better known as the Tunguska event [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event]. Over the top of that comes an aged, Russian accented, voice saying that no one would ever discover the secret of Tunguska, as he was the only one left alive who knew what really happened.

It's all wonderfully atmospheric, and I have to admit, it's really piqued my interest. The series will be formally unveiled during a panel at San Diego Comic Con on July 22nd and is scheduled for release in the fall.

Source: CBR [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27212]

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Hmm, Well I figured the Assassins must have done something in the Cold War and WW2. This could be interesting. Also: In Soviet Russia, Templars Assassinate you! (Had to say it =P)

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Oh hell yes, this is going to be awesome.

In soviet russia, guard assassinates you.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
In Assassin's Creed 2, it was stated that the Assassins had tried to recruit Nicola Tesla to destroy a piece of Eden. What happened afterwards isn't exactly clear, but it was implied that the Piece of Eden either directly caused the Tunguska explosion, or was the result of the Piece's destruction. So this is expanding on stuff we already knew about.

Assassin's Creed actually has loads of comic book potential. I can't wait to see what this turns out to be like: the Soviet Assassin crest looks awesome.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
The video should have ended with that typical clicking noise that occurs when the projector runs out of film. I expected that to happen, but it didn't...

Anyway, I have to say, they chose a very unique setting. The Tunguska incident occured in 1908, meaning this will take place during the time of Imperial Russia. Not many movies/games/comics etc. take place during that time, so this will be a nice change of pace.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Ambrosian said:
Aaaand, 'In Soviet Russia...' jokes are gonna be half this thread.

OT: Looks interesting.
You said it...

But, on topic it does look pretty cool...intresting direction for the series

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Anything Russian oriented is always interesting.

*Ahem*
In Soviet Russia...Players screw Ubisoft!
*ahem*

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
scotth266 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
In Assassin's Creed 2, it was stated that the Assassins had tried to recruit Nicola Tesla to destroy a piece of Eden. What happened afterwards isn't exactly clear, but it was implied that the Piece of Eden either directly caused the Tunguska explosion, or was the result of the Piece's destruction. So this is expanding on stuff we already knew about.

Assassin's Creed actually has loads of comic book potential. I can't wait to see what this turns out to be like: the Soviet Assassin crest looks awesome.
Well, they didn't try to recruit him, per se. The Templars were after him but it's implied in the Glyph files that Tesla was already affiliated with the Assassins, or if not, was merely a pawn who happened to have access to one of the Pieces of Eden. Unsure which one, considering there are plenty around (including no fewer than five Apples, each with the same function, though at least one of the Apples has been destroyed I believe, according to the Glyph files...), but it turned out that Thomas Edison and Henry Ford, and someone else (can't remember the guy's name), were working to bring Tesla down to claim that particular piece. They, as Templars, ended up affiliated with Hitler, another secret templar, and it's implied that the Piece of Eden they gained from Tesla helped Hitler's rise to power, if not the entire Second World War itself.

Either way, it was a different Piece that was responsible for the Tunguska Event, which incidentally was referenced in the emails on Lucy and Vidic's computers in the first game...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
DJmagma said:
Edison gave Hitler a piece of Eden, so this will tell us what happened to that piece of Eden? this seems pretty cool to me, big fan of AC.
Wrong Piece, but right idea. Not sure which Piece of Eden was responsible for the Tunguska Inicident, though that was referenced in the Vidic emails in the first game. Hitler's Piece, given to him by Edison, Henry Ford, and some other guy whose name currently escapes me, was responsible for the Second World War and Hitler's rise to power, both of which seem to have been Templar plans in another attempt to gain control over the world's populace in order to use the Apples to control humanity. But the Tunguska event was caused by a different Piece, either way...

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
In Soviet Russia, You kill Assassins!

But, seriously. This is gonna be awesome.
Trivun said:
DJmagma said:
Edison gave Hitler a piece of Eden, so this will tell us what happened to that piece of Eden? this seems pretty cool to me, big fan of AC.
Wrong Piece, but right idea. Not sure which Piece of Eden was responsible for the Tunguska Inicident, though that was referenced in the Vidic emails in the first game. Hitler's Piece, given to him by Edison, Henry Ford, and some other guy whose name currently escapes me, was responsible for the Second World War and Hitler's rise to power, both of which seem to have been Templar plans in another attempt to gain control over the world's populace in order to use the Apples to control humanity. But the Tunguska event was caused by a different Piece, either way...
As far as that goes... The staff used in AC2 was supposedly destroyed at Tunguska.