Space, Flying and Space Flying

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
Personally I think that the reason space games have gone is because people want too much and have high expectations.

A game like X3:TC (which I played and couldn't quite get into) had really ace combat but doesn't scale the enemy NPCs with your level - so some missions you will literally piss through and others will be near impossible without an entire fleet at your disposal (not that the game will tell you that either!).

They tried adding diffiuculty to the missions but some 'hard' missions you could easily take out a M3+ ship by staying its dead zone and a 'medium' mission would have an entire fleet of xenon that would quickly kick your ass cus your wingmen are (to quote yourself) pants on head retarded!

I played X3:TC for the combat, but its very hard to make money that way - combat missions are few and far between and if you feel the urge to gun something down you need to fly around different sectors and FIND the mission - you can't just goto a military base and ASK for one.

As I started with the problem is choice - alot of people want the combat element of space games, but done badly (like grinding) takes the fun away from it and it becomes really boring really quickly.

Other people want trading - which is fine but also gets boring and slow if you need to do it all yourself (which is why X3 has 'auto traders' to do the work for you)

Some other people want to explore, but to be honest all you will see is more black stuff and planets you can never actually get close or land on. Maybe you will find a free ship floating around but generally it seems like a complete waste of time considering you may never gain anything more than a pretty pretty view.

Personally the best space game I have played in years (and it is years old) is 'Freelancer' - the combat was fun, controls were easy to use (and didn't require a degree in dogfighting or a flightstick), ships were interesting and the story was interesting enough to keep you going. The only real problem was once you had finished the story the only thing you could do is get more useless credits to buy more useless stuff for no real reason other than to say you've got it - but I guess thats just me :p

toothofymir

May 6, 2009
@KDR_11k

Except for the fact that you can't stall, there's no gravity, inertia governs everything, bullets would (in actuality) travel in straight line forever (same with missile that are out of fuel), and ejection either means freezing to death, or suffocation, without an escape pod. Oh, and did I forget to mentions there's no air?

ekimekim

Dec 12, 2007
What I want to see is a big ship, where you can get into your seat and fly the ship, but also get up and walk to somewhere else on the ship, eg. for repairs or to take another seat - ideally this would be a multi-player crewed ship.

I've sort of seen this in certain Halo CE mods (driver seat, gunner seat, etc), but physics issues cause you to die if the ship is moving at any appreciable speed.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
What I'd like to see is a sequel to Star Control 2, by the original creators of course. They've even explicitly stated that they would like to make one, but Activision has them making license property games :(

Except for the 3-dimensional movement, Star Control 2 has all of Yathzee's requested features (plus the some of the best comedy writing in video games).

What's better, it's freeware: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Superman 64 let you fly around a city. Maybe you should give that game a try, Mr Crowshaw...?

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
Putting razor-sharp wit aside, do you think he's really making a space flying game?
Because I happen to really enjoy Yahtzee's earlier games and would enjoy seeing his particular twist on the genre.

Then again, I'd play anything he makes probably :p
I'd love a JRPG from his hand that is full of snide remarks and utterly purposeful and ironic cliches.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
AC10 said:
Freelancer was an awesome space flight game, even if it was just a remake of Starlancer, but whatever.

Also, has anyone looked at Freespace 2 SCP? I haven't tried it yet but it looks fun enough:
http://scp.indiegames.us/
SCP is excelent. It also ports FS 1, so now both games are extremely pretty.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
I agree there was much to be explored in Space sims, it would be awesome a remake or another secuel of: I - WAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY2l2tLGiww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TbfCuMOAlw
I didn't found any gameplay videos

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
I liked the Battlecruiser games, by 3000AD. Everybody else seems to hate them with a violent passion.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
hermes200 said:
My theory is that space sims died because they couldn't fit all the commands like redirecting shield energy, changing weapons or selecting targets into a console controller, and they just give up.

Good luck trying to revive them. I would really love some more Freespace...
But.. the PC.. the PC...

*retreats to his lonely ivory tower of pc-gaming*

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Space flight games, huh? Reminds me of Freespace 2, I used to play that a lot when I was a kid. Loads of fun, I should pick it up at gog.com sometime. I see your point about space flight games being easy to make, the only recent game in that genre I can think of at the moment is Eternal Silence, which is a mod, so it can't be that hard.

(Hey, turns out I wasn't the only one thinking of Freespace. Huh.)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
It's possible that it was Too Human that he was trying to get you to say nice things about...

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Star Wars Battlefront 2 had some space combat. Whether you liked it or not is your opinion. I have it on the PSP (yes the PSP), and I think its fun. I found it works pretty well (even for a PSP game).

El_Mustachio93

Dec 26, 2008
Taking the space game into the same context as the game that uses a flight/ ground gameplay hybrid mechanic, I've alwayed wanted to see a space game in which you could actually fly into the atmosphere of a planet and manually land your vehicle flight sim style on a planet that was 1:1 with earth. I guess this is why I used to spend so much time messing around in spacebuild in Garry's Mod.

Barbari Damnati

Nov 22, 2009
Noelveiga said:
Here's what I don't get with spaceship sims.

Why are all the guns on the front?

They do that in airplanes (make guns point forward) because airplanes are like sharks, they can't move back or stop moving. But not spaceships. The games that do let you turn the ship around and shoot back while moving forward expose this. Why not have missiles pointing to the back of the ship, or 360 degree rotating gun batteries? In fact, why have ships shaped like planes at all? Unless they are meant for atmospheric use as well (which would make sense, but still not explain the front-mounted weapons), it would be better to have a Tie Fighter-like design, with a rotating cockpit rather than a flat, wing-like design.

Mmmm... I just geeked out badly right there. This is what happens when you start discussing space sims.
I never said the ship had to be anything like a plane. Although I've always thought alot of ship designs looked quite goofy... or just plain phallic.

It makes sense to have forward mounted guns in a small fighter because that's the direction you're facing. It would be cool to have side and rear mounted arrays as well, but can you suggest any interface or gameplay mechanic to operate them smoothly? I think alot of us would struggle with the controls.

Actually, going back to Yahtzee's point about wanting a smooth transition from ground-to-air-to-space combat, it becomes more important that the ships are appropriately shaped to deal with atmosphere. But now you've got me thinking about how challenging you could make just flying through space if you added gravity effects, slingshots, nebulous clouds and the full physics behind trying to actually pilot your way through it all.

ForsakenUK

Feb 11, 2010
Have you played Freelancer?
Its an old space- rpg on the PC that, although repetative, offers some space-flight joy
might be worth a punt...

also Captain Forever... its a very simple free indie game but is seriously addictive

luckyleo

Mar 23, 2009
Man, do I miss Space Combat Sims too!

Freespace, Freespace 2, Wing Commander, Privateer, X-Wing, Tie-Fighter. Man, were those games awesome. Even Starlancer and Freelancer were great.

I don't get it. Flight sticks are still made, so what the hell happened to my Space-Fighter sims! I NEED me some dogfights in space

If Yahtzee made a space-sim, I will so go out of my way to get it!