Space Hulk Launch Trailer Offers Blood, Guts And Chainguns

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Space Hulk Launch Trailer Offers Blood, Guts And Chainguns

Developer Full Control Studios delivers a launch trailer for Space Hulk, and it may be the most masculine riff on Aliens the world has ever seen.

Space Hulk is a new PC/Mac/iOS strategy game based on the Games Workshop boardgame of the same name. Think of Space Hulk as a small-scale off-shoot of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, then combine that concept with the sort of turn-based strategy seen in the recent XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and you'll have a pretty solid idea of what this latest Space Hulk videogame is all about.

Alternately, you can think of it as a hyper-macho homage to James Cameron's Aliens. You're given control of a small group of soldiers genetically modified to be the ultimate badasses in the universe (seriously, these dudes spit acid and wield chainsaw swords). That would be great news, except that your squad is tasked with exploring a giant, derelict spacecraft (the titular "space hulk") that just so happens to be filled with thousands of hungry Giger-esque extraterrestrials. As a result (and because the game relies heavily on dark corridors and the horrors of being alone in space), the game's strategy sections are surprisingly tense, despite their turn-based nature - or at least that's how it's always worked out in the boardgame.

If that idea appeals to you, watch the launch trailer embedded at top-right, then peruse the following list of features. It's an impressive set, especially given the game's indie roots.

Space Hulk Features

? The first Space Hulk video game in 17 years - available on multiple platforms (PC, Mac and iPad)

? Set in the hugely popular Warhammer 40,000 universe - official license of the legendary boardgame from Games Workshop.

? Turn-based tactical strategy game based on the popular and iconic board game mechanics.

? Blood Angel Terminators - Fight the ferocious Genestealers with heroes of the mighty Blood Angels.

? Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI - meet unforgiving hordes of Genestealers ? Thematic 3D environment - experience the dark labyrinth of a Space Hulk as never before.

? Single player campaign based on the "Sin of Damnation" space hulk - Take on the Sin of Damnation campaign, which includes 3 brand new prequel missions and the 12 missions from the classic board game.

? Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend - get in the hot seat and battle it out with a friend.

? Cross platform multiplayer between Windows PC, Mac and iOS - play asynchronous against friends and foes on multiple platforms.

Space Hulk is now available for both Windows and OS X via Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/242570/?snr=1__4__104], and an iOS iteration of the game is slated to appear later this year.

Source: YouTube [http://youtu.be/2Eeoxz2cQ4U]

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Er, 1,000 space marines is an entire space marine chapter. And I don't remember anything in the fluff (tabletop, PC game, or novel) about the Blood Angels losing 95% of their brothers on a space hulk.

Still, moderately interested in this title. I used to play the DOS version years and years ago. Never was able to complete it...
Don't the BA's function under Legion numbers opposed to Chapter numbers? I'm having trouble remembering if they told the Codex to suck their progenoid or not.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Er, 1,000 space marines is an entire space marine chapter. And I don't remember anything in the fluff (tabletop, PC game, or novel) about the Blood Angels losing 99.5% of their brothers on a space hulk.
According to an entry on TvTropes, that was what happened in the original board game.

And regardless, as a first founding chapter, they have more resources available to them than most other chapters, such as over 10000 years worth of stockpiled geneseed on Terra that can be used to being the chapter back to full strength within a decade.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Versuvius said:
MinionJoe said:
Er, 1,000 space marines is an entire space marine chapter. And I don't remember anything in the fluff (tabletop, PC game, or novel) about the Blood Angels losing 95% of their brothers on a space hulk.

Still, moderately interested in this title. I used to play the DOS version years and years ago. Never was able to complete it...
Don't the BA's function under Legion numbers opposed to Chapter numbers? I'm having trouble remembering if they told the Codex to suck their progenoid or not.
No, thats the Space Wolves youre thinking about.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well this trailer makes me doubt the quality of this game even more, looks and sounds like someone just rifled through Dawn of War assets and made a quick game on the side, I really wonder how much you really get for those $30.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Originally it was only the entire first compony, but that was very early GW days so that might have been legion logic as in pre-horus heresy which would make more sense at 1000 men. As now 1000 men is the entire blood angels chapter? A few chapters heavily break the 1000 rule namely the space wolves and the black templars(imperial fists offshoot) and maybe Ultramarines(ironically if you know the lore) who still maintain control over sucessor chapters and have a section of Tyranid hunters maybe counting another 100 marines. The 1000 rule was to stop any one man being able to threatern the entire Imperium... ok too long its a good setting ol' 40k read up if you want to know more.

Anyhow game looks cool but probally won't get it for a while due to being poor at the moment.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
LordMonty said:
Originally it was only the entire first compony, but that was very early GW days so that might have been legion logic as in pre-horus heresy which would make more sense at 1000 men. As now 1000 men is the entire blood angels chapter? A few chapters heavily break the 1000 rule namely the space wolves and the black templars(imperial fists offshoot) and maybe Ultramarines(ironically if you know the lore) who still maintain control over sucessor chapters and have a section of Tyranid hunters maybe counting another 100 marines. The 1000 rule was to stop any one man being able to threatern the entire Imperium... ok too long its a good setting ol' 40k read up if you want to know more.

Anyhow game looks cool but probally won't get it for a while due to being poor at the moment.
I think the Dark Angels also managed to get around the "1,000 marines per chapter" rule by making sure every Chapter descended from them all have Azrael as Chapter Master.

OT: This looks pretty good, but I'm going to wait and see if there's a demo first.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Guys guys,Its Cannon and it happened post-heresy
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sin_of_Damnation#.Ug1C-J1waUk
Chapters can suffer heavy casualties, I.e. hive fleets, Disasters like Rynn's World. if they have the geneseed they can recoup there losses given time.
Bought it, loving it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I love space hulk. Its so tense.

And that sinking feeling when a gun jams on over watch or when you find youve been flanked...

Is there a PC demo? My laptop creaks a bit. Runs blood bowl on the lowest settings but its at least6 years old.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
I'm gonna wait on this one. But it does seem like it could be pretty interesting.
Is it just gonna be Tyranids or are we gonna see some Chaos or any other factions? Not that we need more then the 2. Just curious

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
MinionJoe said:

Actually, that's Games Workshop canon.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Hulk_%283rd_Edition%29#Storyline

The Video game follows Space Hulk Third Edition story.

In the year 996.M40 the entire Blood Angels chapter deployed to a huge space hulk appearing near a massively populated hiveworld/trade system. They found tens of thousands of genestealers, only 50 marines made it out alive. It took them 600 years to recoup their losses.

Now a new space hulk has appeared right in the middle of the Blood Angels homesystem (dick move, Tzeentch/Eldrad/Big E), reputedly containing a ship, lost in the warp since the Horus Heresy/Seige on Terra, that was carrying a significant Blood Angels legion relic.

It's why the Blood Angels are marked as doing nothing between M38 and 742.M41 [First Tyranid War].

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
That trailer was so utterly boring. I was excited about this game, it seemed interesting, good turn based strategy. This trailer is so dull it nearly killed any interest I had, with that bland voice acting, and trudging cinematic. I think they were aiming at tense and creepy, but they missed entirely.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Aeshi said:
I think the Dark Angels also managed to get around the "1,000 marines per chapter" rule by making sure every Chapter descended from them all have Azrael as Chapter Master.
Errr... not exactly.

Azrael is only the current Supreme Chapter Master not the original one.

The way they're organised is that every Unforgiven Chapter Master is, essentially, subordinate to the Supreme Chapter Master... and until the fluff changes, it's been that way since the 2nd Founding (Guilliman's Reforms breaking up the Legions). So basically they all go about doing their own thing unless the SCM decides Shit Needs Doing by more than one Chapter. Now if only they could stay consistantly Dark and Secretive from Codex to Codex instead of intermittent forays into be the Whiny Emo Marines.

Whatever, I only ever started playing Dark Angels marines because they're British Racing Green.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
MinionJoe said:
You know what they say about canon, it's like a shooter but bigga!

Multiplayer sounds suitably good fun, turn based games are about the only ones to truly work across multiple platforms.