Space Invaders Becomes Real (Comfy) Furniture

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Space Invaders Becomes Real (Comfy) Furniture

Fend off alien invasions from the comfort of this geeky couch, designed to look like an alien from Space Invaders

When it comes to videogames, it's hard to find a more iconic title than <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Space-Invaders-Extreme-Nintendo-DS/dp/B00161I5IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280776367&sr=8-1>Space Invaders. As a result, the aliens from from the game are incredibly popular and a <a href=http://www.google.com/products?q=space+invader+alien&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf>cottage industry has managed to spring up around the character design. While custom T-shirts and magnets often feature the character, no one's tried to create a themed piece of furniture ... until now. Designer Igor Chak has created the "Space Invader Couch", which is a dead ringer for one of the invading aliens and looks big enough for two people to sit on comfortably.

Chak's design is certainly entertaining, and it sounds absurdly comfortable. The couch is meant to be covered in black leather and stuffed with memory foam. Accordingly, Chak intends for the couch to include "two glass surfaces," presumably on top of the arms (based on the slight reflections shown in the concept art).

While the concept has been designed, it'll be a while before it actually becomes available to buy. Chak has stated that he's looking for a company to help him produce the furniture piece en masse. When it does hit the market, you can almost be assured that it won't be cheap, based on the memory foam and leather. That said, I'd certainly be proud to own something like this as part of my gaming setup.

Source:Geek

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Awwww, that thing looks cute!

If I had the money and was more geekish I would buy this, but I fortunately I do not have those two things.

EDIT: That is, if it does get mass produced...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I think this makes the top of the "really cool stuff I would buy if I could afford it" list.

(they haven't even fixed a price tag yet, but trust me)

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I'd love to own this as well as any other gaming furniture. I have a cool idea, and OLED 3DHDTV with a parallax barrier screen shaped like a Game & Watch. That would be awesome.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Give that man a medal. He has successfully completed every geek's secret fantasy of having their very own Nerd-Cave.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
One of my first games I played after Yoshi's Island. MUST. ACQUIRE. NOW!
There are some really good child memories there!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
There is no way in hell I'll ever be able to afford something that beautiful.

*stares longingly at couch* sigh...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I'm gonna buy an army of them and drop them out of my window! Game over, people on the street, game over.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I now know what God looks like - he's a piece furniture shaped like an enemy from 1978!

Feb 13, 2008

WHY wasn't this created during the 80's? I mean we had dance moves, records and everything on these guys.

And then came Pacman and it REALLY got silly.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Andronicus said:
There is no way in hell I'll ever be able to afford something that beautiful.

*stares longingly at couch* sigh...
It's never a good sign when you go to the website and it states
*contacts us for more information*

Business speak for if you have to ask the price you can't afford it

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
Quaxar said:
I'm gonna buy an army of them and drop them out of my window! Game over, people on the street, game over.
I hope they make a spaceship-shaped couch as well. I'll shoot down your damn couches.