Space Invaders Movie Might Be On Its Way

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Space Invaders Movie Might Be On Its Way

Warner Bros. is attempting to acquire the rights to make a film based on Taito's Space Invaders.

Hollywood has tired of making bad Uwe Boll films using the intellectual property from current videogames and are keen on destroying nostalgia completely by making movies based on 80s arcade games. Deals are apparently in place for films to be made based on Missile Command and Asteroids, at Fox and Universal respectively. And now, according to the L.A. Times, Warner Bros. wants to make a film based on Space Invaders.

If Warner Bros. is successful in acquiring the rights from Taito, they already have a producing team in place: Mark Gordon, Jason Blum and Guymon Casady. Those three names have the right mix of film credits, having worked on Saving Private Ryan, The Day After Tomorrow and Paranormal Activity.

It's unclear what the story would be for a film based on Space Invaders. Technically, any number of movies could fit the bill already such as Independence Day or Mars Attacks.

As long as it has a turret that shoots things, and a field of slow-moving aliens attacking in coordinated rows and columns then I'll be happy.

But it'll probably just star Jake Gyllenhowdydoody and have a few ships flying around. *sigh*

Source: L.A. Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/03/space-invaders-movie-midway-marlowe.html]

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I hope all gamers everywhere can join me in a universal *Facepalm*.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Wait. Really?

Wha-

Huh-

How-

Who-

What on EARTH made anyone think this is a good idea?

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
The Futurama version will be better.

"I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. Now, watch, as I FIRE THROUGH MY OWN SHIELD!"

Also, Sapce Invaders? Come on, Greg.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
What have these people been drinking?
They'll never beat that Futurama episode.
EDIT: Ninja'd by a ninja who ninjas things.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Oh my god yes! ive been waiting for them to do this for year!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!*fanboy squeal*
[/sarcasm]
AkJay said:
yeah pretty much this.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Seriously, how do they even do that? It doesn't even have a plot.
Hutchy_Bear said:
AkJay said:
I'll see your facepalm and raise you a facedesk.
*faceknife* what do you say to tha... oh fuck my face!

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
At least there is no plot for Hollywood to foul up.
It can't be worse than all the other video game movies that have been made.
And I think you meant to say Space Invaders in the headline, not Sapce Invaders.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I really hope they build up a load of suspense about aliens invading, have an epic battle preparation and then the screen cuts to classic space invaders for an hour, then a sad part when it loses a life, back to space invaders, then a huge celebration of victory.

That would be amazing.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
I need the job to direct that movie. It would be the greatest thing anyone ever saw, and yet very few people would like it.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I was going to facepalm, but I was already hunched over so I went straight to facedesk.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
So it's Tron... but with a spaceship instead of a bike. And aliens.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I would willingly watch an hour and half of rows of slow-moving aliens being shot by a sliding turret...

What?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Must-rent-movie

I don't know why, and I'm pretty sure they'll butcher it somehow, but the idea of Space Invaders: The Movie sounds to funny to pass on.