Space marine demo; thoughts?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Seeming as most people are incredibly hyped for space marine, I'd say a lot of people have played the demo by now. So, what are your thoughts?

I'm not disappointed...but not quite blown away. I worry the gameplay could become repetitive; shoot, slash, stun, execute, repeat. On the other hand this concern comes from a very logical part of my mind.

The non logical part kept involuntarily screaming "FOR THE EMPEROR!!". it's like it should get repetitive, but it doesn't feel like it. This sends me back into indecision over space marine or dead island, as I was really hoping it would either blow me away or be a disaster so either way, I'd have a definite decision. What I would give for a few pre-launch reviews...ah well. If I comes to it, I'll decide on the day.

Back to the demo, one particular bone of content I have is the fact that ranged combat is almost always inferior to the melée option. Switching between the types of combat is truly seamless, and it truly helps that hip fire is not completely useless like in most games, meaning you can easily fire off a couple of rounds to soften an ork before BRINGING THE EMPEROR'S MIGHTY WRATH UPON HIS HEATHEN SKULL! Ahem, sorry. The problem is that most of the time, orks being orks, they charge at you, meaning the option of complete ranged combat will not be viable for long.

Another thing is the melée itself. It's really simple. X slashes, Y stuns, and B executes. It feels good, owing alot to a slightly arkham-ish directional flow of combat, but I wonder whether it will feel as good nearing the end of a full game.

Overall though, it's nailed the feel. The music, the graphical style, the flow of combat, the dialogue, it all screams space marine, but will repetition make the veil of that "feel" fall away revealing a rather simple gameplay system? F*** if I know.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I think its pretty awesome. The demo itself with customizable controls on the PC (In a fricken demo!) is IMO an excellent sign about the games high quality. Playing the space marine with just a bolter pistol and chain sword made me feel awesome. The other weapons feel really powerfull too and all of the weapons along with the after battle bloodbaths make me feel like a real badass. Honestly, for me, it trumps the feel of awesomeness that Kratos had for me

The jet pack level is a little better IMO, being able to fly around and send huge groups of orcs flying before you start letting the bolter shots fire or the chainsword swing feel really fun.

Personally I dont think the games going to get repetitive. In the two levels of the demo there are enough enemy changes and excellent feeling combat that even if it is samey I dont think many people will notice.

Keeping in mind its a demo I think SM is going to be a great game, maybe my favorite one this year

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Its pretty damn awesome, it makes you feel like you are well a space marine, you don't take cover and you absolutely rock.

It has the 40k universe absolutely nailed, with the look and feel of the atmosphere, the scale and the way the weapons are makes it really feel like you are a space marine.

That said I would expect nothing less of THQ as they have a long standing history of excellent 40K games all be it not in the Shooter Genre.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Windcaler said:
I think its pretty awesome. The demo itself with customizable controls on the PC (In a fricken demo!) is IMO an excellent sign about the games high quality. Playing the space marine with just a bolter pistol and chain sword made me feel awesome. The other weapons feel really powerfull too and all of the weapons along with the after battle bloodbaths make me feel like a real badass. Honestly, for me, it trumps the feel of awesomeness that Kratos had for me

The jet pack level is a little better IMO, being able to fly around and send huge groups of orcs flying before you start letting the bolter shots fire or the chainsword swing feel really fun.

Personally I dont think the games going to get repetitive. In the two levels of the demo there are enough enemy changes and excellent feeling combat that even if it is samey I dont think many people will notice.

Keeping in mind its a demo I think SM is going to be a great game, maybe my favorite one this year
I did really like the fact that bolter rounds were fully capable of completely blowing apart an ork. Come to think of bolters, Bullets that explode, those crazy space marine sure love joyous overkill, huh?

It kind of reminded me of the bulletstorm demo, in the way that at points, it drove to involuntary yelling due to the sheer awesomeness of it all. Nothing's more awesome than being at the brink of death and saying "I...am...a SPACE MARRRRIIIIIINE!" and charging into a crowd of orks to replenish your health by appeasing shao Kahn with your fataliti-erm, I mean appeasing the emperor with your...murder death stabby slicey.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
If you haven't already try playing through the demo on hard. Its a challenging adrenaline rush that makes you pay more attention to the terrain and your surroundings. Setting up traps with vengence rounds, grenades and knowing when to perform an execution and use fury mode all become incredibly important

Nobz are also terrifying on hard mode, one mistake around them and they will MESS. YOU. UP. I think Chaos Space Marines are going to be downright terrifying on hard mode. I can't wait!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Just played it... SO MUCH FUN!!!

I am going to get the game eventually. :)

Gibboniser

Jan 9, 2011
I thought it was absolutely awesome, the last bit of the first mission took me a few attempts. If you think there is little reason for the ranged, put it on hard, with ranged weapons the bastards can't stab you.

It;s a must buy for me, not sure when though.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Not gonna lie, that was just a ton of fun. The power axe especially just made me so damned happy I was all but giggling the entire fight while using it. And one of the execution moves I got with it on a stunned Nob, holy crap, that was just... wow. I tore his face in half!

Kratos can eat his heart out, these Space Marines are the real deal. Damn.

Only complaint? Can't play as an Ork. I'm secretly hoping they win at the end of the game, Orkz for lyfe yo!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I've played the demo about six times today, and I still can't get enough of it. Finally, a WH40k game where they demonstrate the full combat potential of the Space Marines. The sheer carnage you can unleash is simply glorious. I also appreciate how the bolters actually behave like they do in the fluff (aka blowing their targets apart in messy chunks) rather than acting like submachine guns.

I'd still like to see a squad-based game starring the Imperial Guard, though. Those men and women are the true heroes of the Imperium.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
I've played the demo about six times today, and I still can't get enough of it. Finally, a WH40k game where they demonstrate the full combat potential of the Space Marines. The sheer carnage you can unleash is simply glorious. I also appreciate how the bolters actually behave like they do in the fluff (aka blowing their targets apart in messy chunks) rather than acting like submachine guns.

I'd still like to see a squad-based game starring the Imperial Guard, though. Those men and women are the true heroes of the Imperium.
i agree
one guardsman as more balls in one ball than duke nukem has in both (sorry i just been wanting to say that for forever XD )

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Its Awful!!

I hate, i was so excited for this game, I've been following it since it was leaked.

As a huge warhammer Tabletop fan and Book fan, the game just doesn't feel like warhammer at all.......

Space marine squads are often times small sure but..... theres more then 3-4 people per squad, i hear in the game at points you'll be completely alone...

I hate this whole "you don't need cover you have power armor" So! An ork Axe, a banshee blade those can pierce it, hell bullets can kill them, a good old heated laz rifle or plasma rifle can take you out pretty fast.

Space marines love charging sure, but there very tactical very!! they take cover they do stealth they do well planned manuvers, this game its just CHARGE Oh look i have furry! Mash melee win.

Also Orks die a lot sure, but there not completely weak, there like tissue paper in this game. Fun fact did you know orks can actually match a space marines strength (its why there able to pierce there armor with there axes) This game they just die left and right all over the place theres no challenge. There just cannon fodder and thats not how the orks are. The orks are easily fooled and manipulated sure but ther scary. Theres a saying always going around in Warhammer "if the orks were able all band together under 1 Waaaahg banner nobody could stop them"

The game just feels like it was made for non fans, f you have any love for the lore and the table top lore you'll just feel insulted and disgusted. The game had so much promise.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Legion IV said:
Its Awful!!

I hate, i was so excited for this game, I've been following it since it was leaked.

As a huge warhammer Tabletop fan and Book fan, the game just doesn't feel like warhammer at all.......

Space marine squads are often times small sure but..... theres more then 3-4 people per squad, i hear in the game at points you'll be completely alone...

I hate this whole "you don't need cover you have power armor" So! An ork Axe, a banshee blade those can pierce it, hell bullets can kill them, a good old heated laz rifle or plasma rifle can take you out pretty fast.

Space marines love charging sure, but there very tactical very!! they take cover they do stealth they do well planned manuvers, this game its just CHARGE Oh look i have furry! Mash melee win.

Also Orks die a lot sure, but there not completely weak, there like tissue paper in this game. Fun fact did you know orks can actually match a space marines strength (its why there able to pierce there armor with there axes) This game they just die left and right all over the place theres no challenge. There just cannon fodder and thats not how the orks are. The orks are easily fooled and manipulated sure but ther scary. Theres a saying always going around in Warhammer "if the orks were able all band together under 1 Waaaahg banner nobody could stop them"

The game just feels like it was made for non fans, f you have any love for the lore and the table top lore you'll just feel insulted and disgusted. The game had so much promise.
SO please tell us how you can make it better. Oh lets just make orks not be in huge mobs and only have a few squads and take so many hits since you know it would give the player a chance to ACTUALLY live and have some fun and not die all the time or just sit back and just shoot all the time since the enemies would be just as strong as they are. Also lets make it be able to take cover so all we mostly do is take cover behind chest high walls all the time cause you know, were not the 8 foot tall, super soldier we all know and love. Were just a bunch of normal soldiers who can't fight in melee.

I'm sorry but it feels like you didn't even play the game at all. Ork boyz are pretty weak. They are stronger then humans but against Space marines, they are hardly a match. Now Nobz. Nobz on the other hand were brutal and could only be kill by a execution or be in fury mode. Also you could be behind cover there just no auto lock behind cover. Because, read my text, do not want you hiding all the time behind walls. They WANT you to be in the action and actually feel like a space marine.

Also you are very stupid if you think there not "tactical" in the game. First time I came upon orks I use the mine launcher. Lay a few lines between me and them and let them come running at me. As soon as they got close BOOM. Then I shot a few left alive and daze with bolter gun and then run in to mob up the reinforcements.

Also did you play on Hard at all? You can not even get in melee close combat without taking HUGE number of hits from the orks. You would be completely destroy in a matter of seconds. Plus with the nobs who actually do a huge number of damange I'm sure you just play on easy or normal and just gave up there. Next time please think about what you are writing before complaining.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Outcast107 said:
Legion IV said:
Its Awful!!

SO please tell us how you can make it better. Oh lets just make orks not be in huge mobs and only have a few squads and take so many hits since you know it would give the player a chance to ACTUALLY live and have some fun and not die all the time or just sit back and just shoot all the time since the enemies would be just as strong as they are. Also lets make it be able to take cover so all we mostly do is take cover behind chest high walls all the time cause you know, were not the 8 foot tall, super soldier we all know and love. Were just a bunch of normal soldiers who can't fight in melee.

I'm sorry but it feels like you didn't even play the game at all. Ork boyz are pretty weak. They are stronger then humans but against Space marines, they are hardly a match. Now Nobz. Nobz on the other hand were brutal and could only be kill by a execution or be in fury mode. Also you could be behind cover there just no auto lock behind cover. Because, read my text, do not want you hiding all the time behind walls. They WANT you to be in the action and actually feel like a space marine.

Also you are very stupid if you think there not "tactical" in the game. First time I came upon orks I use the mine launcher. Lay a few lines between me and them and let them come running at me. As soon as they got close BOOM. Then I shot a few left alive and daze with bolter gun and then run in to mob up the reinforcements.

Also did you play on Hard at all? You can not even get in melee close combat without taking HUGE number of hits from the orks. You would be completely destroy in a matter of seconds. Plus with the nobs who actually do a huge number of damage I'm sure you just play on easy or normal and just gave up there. Next time please think about what you are writing before complaining.
Look am sorry just i was really upset and still a little heated. its all preference but am mad because it dosent feel like warhammer, like executions healing you? Look space marines dont go running around when there surrounded executing people all stylishly no itd be a quik chainesword slice and keep moving. Dosent kill him right away? who cares! your surrounded by these guys.

The whole fury concept got me to just....

Here i guess what am trying to say is i grew up reading the old manuals and now reading books theres so much lore and interesting stuff in this universe. The game just doesn't feel like warhammer. If i just thought it was an action game and ignored the space marine paint job am sure its a great game.
i guess the games just give the wrong impression on the universe in general.

Sure space marines are the elite of the elite there epic but there not gods. By this games logic it seems 1 space marine can kill like hundreds of orks on there own. There strong but they can be beat. Look at the table top, Space marines was just a faction, a race, they still had to balance the game so they couldn't be gods. You'd see a space marine squad taken out by orks. I thought the dawn of war series treated the series a bit better. The intro to Dawn of war 1 Shows a space marine Squad with a predator tank and dreadnaught taken out by orcs completely, the orks win...

Or Dawn of war 2 shows how eldar can own space marines in 1 on 1 combat. I guess i just shoulda expeced this, i couldn't think of a way designing a Warhammer game thats 3rd person, it just cant really work in the warhammer universe.

I still think the RTS's are treated very well, the lores a little iffy but at least they capture the universe very well.

But hey am sure everyones just gonna chalk me up as a warhammer fanboy so why should i continue to vioce my reasons when no one will listen.

Just space marines arnt gods like there depicted in this game.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Legion IV said:
well in DoW like... 7/9 guys who made those games play eldar...so they made them OP because they like them :/
also in the table top the space marines ARE gods...only because the guy who writes their codex has an ultramarine fetish.... argue all you want but what i say is true...

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Legion IV, Dude you do realise your playing As a Captain of the Ultramarines, of course he's going to be a bad ass in combat. As for space marines killing a lot of orks it makes sence lore wise (see battle for Armagedon, Black Reach, Ryan's world, and a whole host of other battles.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Legion IV said:
Ok first off about the healing thing. How else would you like the Space Marine to heal? All on their own like so many other games do. "Oh I'm low on health. NO need to worry I'll just sit this out until my health recharge." BORING! This is Space marine. Its about WAR and FIGHTING. Please tell me how you would do health that is new and wouldn't hurt gameplay or make it boring.

Also you don't just go running into battle. You plan out your attack and then do it. If you are rushing into battle with like 20 orks in a mob, then you are MOST likely going to die! I died a few times when I got overwhelm by the orks charging at me and ganging up on me plus with the nob unstoppable force.

Second, Space marines are pretty much GOD-LIKE! In most books I read they could take on a MILLION orks and lose very little if they are smart enough. Only reason they would lose at times is if Chaos is in somehow in this, or the orks just had to many to deal with and got overwhelm in the green tide. On on Table top and Books. Table top has to make it FAIR so everyone can win and not just a lop sided battle. Just like this game it has rules. Worry about game play first, and THEN about the Lore.

Even in DoW 1 and 2 there was lore that was thrown out that wouldn't make a game fun or even balance right. Also I am a HUGE ork fan, but I know the ork main power is NUMBERS! They are strong but their true power lies in overwhelming the enemy. Unlike DoW 2 where we only get Squads (Though I truely love DoW 2) There a massive number of orks in this game. It suppose to put a mix of Dread and excitement.

The first few mobs. EASY. Though once we get Shoota and Slugga then its gets hard. The slugga act like meatshield while the shoota drain away your shield and do a nasty number on your health when you are about to finish up the last few sluggas.

Lastly, you keep saying Space marines can't die in this game. What difficulty were you on when first playing this? easy, normal or hard? Cause on normal I died a few times when I try to run in there and just melee. And on hard I easily got overwhelm when I wasn't ducking, rolling and dodging a lot of things when I even got close to melee.

I'm a warhammer fan to, but you have to stop thinking about LORE when playing a game. Lore is just a nice bonus when you see the HUGE landscapes of destroyed buildings and lasers going off in the far distance. When you hear the propaganda over the loud speakers about joining up with corpse removal and pleasing the machine god.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I've tried to play it twice and both times it crashed before I was even done with the first group of enemies. Shit.

Anyone else had problems with crashes?

Edit: after turning V sync back on, I played through both demo levels with no crashes. Could be a coincidence but if anyone else has issues, try that.

That might be the best demo I've ever played. This should be a day one purchase for me now, after not even considering it previously. It's something special.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im damn impressed by it, I was pretty suspicous since it sounded like it would be a console port to the pc but the game played beautifuly for me, its sold me on the game, Im getting it the day it comes out, I WANT MORE!!!!!!!

really the only thing that I didnt like was that your the ultra marines instead of like the space wolfs or salamanders, but Im not so much of a 40k nerd that I cant suck it up