Space Marine "Rips Off" Gears of War

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Of course, given that the review is from Official Xbox Magazine, the bias would be apparent.
http://www.oxm.co.uk/33345/reviews/warhammer-40000-space-marine-review/

I get that people are allowed to dislike games for their own reasons, but there is a difference between that and making every comparison in your review to an exclusive title for your respective console.

Yeah, I'm bitching, but it is bullshit reviews like this that barely account for anything the game offers in favor of trashing it in comparison to your latest cash cow that is hurting the way games are judged. Space Marine is supposed to be the anti Gears of War, yet that is all OXM can be bothered to talk about.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Versuvius said:
Warhammer came first, 40k Space Marines were the first power armoured brick shithouses etc etc. Fuckoff Xbox, fuck off Gears of War fanboys, fuck off...Xbox AGAIN!
so what if it came first?they can still rip off games that came after it.

OT:Reminds of GOW,but i won't call it a clone.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
U mad bro?

Seriously though, the reviewer gave it a 7/10 and all his points were more than valid. Could you point me to the place where he said, literally, that its a "gears ripoff"? Maybe im missing it. Because all I can find is this:

At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system which sees you healing by performing execution kills. Given how flagrantly Relic apes the Epic juggernaut elsewhere - weapons are swapped via the same D-pad system - being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural at first, but you soon acclimatise. New cannons and a Fury mode unlock at half-hourly intervals as you progress through corridors and arenas, nabbing Servo Skulls (Warhammer's audio diary of choice) to flesh out the plot's few secrets.
Which is... Well... PERFECTLY VALID AND COMPLETELY FUCKING RIGHT.

TL;DR: Stop whining, write your own review if you disagree, dont write off a reviewer just because he doesnt like a game you do, or rather, just because he doesnt like it as much.

Fucking hell, he gave it a 7/10 for fucks sake. If you seriously think that Space Marine deserves more than that... Jesus.
You don't think that the review complaining about a controls setup isn't being even a little petty?

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I agree with the review, the game is a gears clone and never accused Warhammer of "ripping it off" especially in the visual design department. Overall Space Marine does look like an underwhelming game and the score 7/10 implies it's playable and a bit of fun but nothing special.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...ok, yeah, I get that 40k predates Gears of War by quite a bit, but the review was pretty vague. Are they saying "clone", as in they ripped of the theme (which isn't really valid), or something like the gameplay (which is)? And/or, did Gears of War take 40k's ideas into a new area which 40k then went after?

It might be unfair, therefore, to criticise the article because of that. Instead, it should be criticised for being vague enough that it's not clear if they are wrong or not.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
The review you linked doesn't seem to be too hung up on the comparison, though i do agree that Warhammer came before gears of war. Then again comparisons will always be made for similar looking games, even if the focus is different. Again the review in the op mainly criticizes weapons, balance(multiplayer) and the lack of craziness or over the top moments that the reviewer expected of a 40k game. Also 7/10 not bad, although scores are a bit messed up at the moment.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Okay. Yes, Warhammer was around long before GeOW but I've played the Space Marine demo and I agree with OXM. Every second of gameplay felt like a poor copy of Gears; it was a third person shooter in which you play a big bulky man armed with a large gun and melee weapon. You're part of a small team of bulky men, you wade through enemies on a linear path, rinse and repeat. Granted it didn't have GeOW's cover system but I'd put that as a point against it, rather than in its favour. I don't care if the mag is biased (I see no evidence of that, btw) or if 40K came first, this game seems to just be another average third person shooter with no attempt to do anything unique.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Really.... I mean really.... I got to the point in that review where it said "gears clone" and I just had to stop reading lest I spit blood and throw my monitor out the window.

I mean its the xbox magazine so it was bound to happen but to write it THAT badly, I'd expect that from the official nintendo magazine circa 1995, not nowadays.

The comparisons from those who don't know were going to happen, both 3rd person games with men with rediculously huge shoulderpads, but Warhammer did it long long before gears 1 was ever thought up. Gears ripped of 40K and stuff like that just boils my blood, whether this is a good game or not seems irrelivant to these people who just wave thier "token exclusive" around which, in all honesty i didnt think was worthy of all the praise it recieved.

Now i've got to go do something to reduce my blood pressure before i break something.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I think the gameplay resembles Transformers: War for Cybertron much more than Gears.

As for the art style, yeah W40k started it obviously.

sharkinz

Apr 26, 2010
The gameplay of space marine is completely different then in gears of war. Gears of war is a cover based shooter, you can't take cover in space marine.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Now, I hate to be the naysayer here... BUT:

While Space Marines certainly came up with the whole "big menacing man ripping everything apart" thing before Gears of War, the gameplay style of third person shooting was refined by Gears of War before Space Marines. I think this is what most people are bitching about, really.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
You change between 4 weapons using the d-pad this is the only similarity gears is third person cover based shooter space marine is a third person hack and slash with heavy gun use

to say this is a gears rip off is to call gears a devil may cry rip off but some how that just sounds stupid (because it is)

Blaster391

Oct 17, 2009
U mad bro?

Seriously though, the reviewer gave it a 7/10 and all his points were more than valid. Could you point me to the place where he said, literally, that its a "gears ripoff"? Maybe im missing it. Because all I can find is this:

At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system which sees you healing by performing execution kills. Given how flagrantly Relic apes the Epic juggernaut elsewhere - weapons are swapped via the same D-pad system - being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural at first, but you soon acclimatise. New cannons and a Fury mode unlock at half-hourly intervals as you progress through corridors and arenas, nabbing Servo Skulls (Warhammer's audio diary of choice) to flesh out the plot's few secrets.

TL;DR: Stop whining, write your own review if you disagree, dont write off a reviewer just because he doesnt like a game you do, or rather, just because he doesnt like it as much.

Fucking hell, he gave it a 7/10 for fucks sake. If you seriously think that Space Marine deserves more than that... Jesus.
Oh. My. God. You select the guns though the D-Pad. Well thats just a complete clone. While we are at it, so is Uncharted, that has a D-Pad weapons select, oh yeah, an farcry 2, they are complete clones.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
U mad bro?

So much truth in this post. The game just feels a lot like Gears, only with more ham-fisted controls and no cover system. This boils down to: someone doesn't like a game I like and made a point I disagree with. He brings up several complaints in the review, and negatively comparing the game to Gears seems like a pretty minor thing to me. Most 3rd person shooters are compared to Gears these days, it's hardly surprising.

Also all the whining about cash cows and bias makes me chuckle as if this game wasn't branded with the Warhammer logo nobody would give a shit.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uh, yeah... it does exactly that.

Sure, WH40K obviously beat GoW to the whole grunty-men-with-no-personailty-killing-aliens-while-dressed-as-trucks thing. But the gameplay? Yeah, it's blatantly obvious that they were looking over Epic's shoulder.

Whether you consider that a bad thing or not is another matter. Games grabbing ideas from one another is hardly new. Hell, the whole industry basically runs on inspiration/plagiarism.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'd say they ripped off the omega symbol and fury thing from God of War. But yeah, 40k did come first.