Space Marine "Rips Off" Gears of War

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
yuval152 said:
Versuvius said:
Warhammer came first, 40k Space Marines were the first power armoured brick shithouses etc etc. Fuckoff Xbox, fuck off Gears of War fanboys, fuck off...Xbox AGAIN!
so what if it came first?they can still rip off games that came after it.

OT:Reminds of GOW,but i won't call it a clone.
When people bandy the term 'ripoff' about, it works two ways. Normally i don't use it but i feel it needed saying, with the addition of a few sweary screams

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
What game where you guys playing? it feels nothing like Gears the only things that are similar is that you can both attack in melee and with shooting weapons and its a 3rd person view. i hate to say it but for everyone that played it and thinks it's just a bad gears clone you where probably playing it wrong.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
To me the review said it is a thrid person shooter like gears. His criticism came from there being unimpressive weapons, not enough wow moments and unbalanced multiplayer. 7/10. Seems fair to me.

Sounds like 40K fans who would be happy with nothing short of a 9/10 and glowing praise.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys, I totally am mad at this reviewer for thinking it felt like gears while they played it. Because a review isn't totally what they felt about the game.

/MASSIVE SARCASM

Edit:

Also, the score is a respectable seven. What exactly is the issue here?

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
When I played the Tech demo at the Manchester Comic Con, it felt like a Gears clone, playing the demo, however, showed that it was a game trying to appeal to the Gears crowd whilst doing its own thing. So OXM were kinda correct.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Actually everyone I know has been saying either: "Its a mediocre game" or: "Its a mediocre game that makes me want to play something else". One of them even said he wanted to play Gears of War 2 instead of it. As funny as I find that, I still will have to play the game for myself to get an honest opinion, but let me point out that so far neither the critics or users find it great on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/warhammer-40000-space-marine

Just saying.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
bjj hero said:
Simeon Ivanov said:
Except Space Marines aren't gay
Why would there be no gay space marines? Space marines need love too you know?
Most are castrated and after the implants, genetically similar. Gay Space Marines would be like...bro incest.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
The game is definitely riding the trend of space marines in general, which Gears of War definitely had a big hand in starting. But in gameplay? Fucking hell, no. Comparing the defensive, tactical coverfest that is Gears of War to the aggressive hacky-slashy-facey-stompey-violence of Space Marine is like saying Starcraft ripped off chess.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Of course, given that the review is from Official Xbox Magazine, the bias would be apparent.
http://www.oxm.co.uk/33345/reviews/warhammer-40000-space-marine-review/

I get that people are allowed to dislike games for their own reasons, but there is a difference between that and making every comparison in your review to an exclusive title for your respective console.

Yeah, I'm bitching, but it is bullshit reviews like this that barely account for anything the game offers in favor of trashing it in comparison to your latest cash cow that is hurting the way games are judged. Space Marine is supposed to be the anti Gears of War, yet that is all OXM can be bothered to talk about.
You're right. Space Marine does ripoff Robert A. Heinlein's military science-fiction masterpiece Starship Troopers. See you on the bounce!

Sep 14, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Soviet Heavy said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
U mad bro?

Seriously though, the reviewer gave it a 7/10 and all his points were more than valid. Could you point me to the place where he said, literally, that its a "gears ripoff"? Maybe im missing it. Because all I can find is this:

At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system which sees you healing by performing execution kills. Given how flagrantly Relic apes the Epic juggernaut elsewhere - weapons are swapped via the same D-pad system - being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural at first, but you soon acclimatise. New cannons and a Fury mode unlock at half-hourly intervals as you progress through corridors and arenas, nabbing Servo Skulls (Warhammer's audio diary of choice) to flesh out the plot's few secrets.
Which is... Well... PERFECTLY VALID AND COMPLETELY FUCKING RIGHT.

TL;DR: Stop whining, write your own review if you disagree, dont write off a reviewer just because he doesnt like a game you do, or rather, just because he doesnt like it as much.

Fucking hell, he gave it a 7/10 for fucks sake. If you seriously think that Space Marine deserves more than that... Jesus.
You don't think that the review complaining about a controls setup isn't being even a little petty?
He mentioned it in passing. Fucking wow. Thats exactly what I expect from a written review, small flaws tend to get pointed out. But I guess because its precious fucking Space Marine thats simply not right anymore, is it? Look at the end of the review, where he actually gives it a score. No word of controls.

Also, I love the guys who are saying HURR WARHAMMER WAS THERE B4 GEARS DERP. That not the point. Are you guys really incapable of forming a coherent thought? Hes saying the gameplay is similar. Which is also a completely fucking valid point.

Ah, fuck it, everyone here is determined to blindly hate on any reviewer who doesnt welcome Space Marine as the second coming of Christ, what can you do. Is the Escapist review out yet? I bet they score it somewhere in that range too, make the same points and everyone praises them for the fair an unbiased critic.
yeah this, if anything i would add a dash of God of war in there with the use of the omega symbol in the gameplay.

it isn't clear cut, but you can definitely tell they took some clear nods towards gear of war in the gameplay department, which isn't the biggest deal in the world but for all the fanboys having huge chodes claiming "40K ISN'T COPYING S:LDKFJ:LSDFK" well...it kind of did, actually.

and the controls were a bit sub par, nothing to aggravate over, but in the review a minor mention is perfectly valid

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Versuvius said:
bjj hero said:
Simeon Ivanov said:
Most are castrated and after the implants, genetically similar. Gay Space Marines would be like...bro incest.
Whatever mows your lawn I guess. And maybe they get off on none space marine dudes... like when they are alongside imperial guard. Or get it on when multiple chapters get together like a steroid filled highschool prom.

It doesn't stop there being gay spacemarines. It's a good premise, having to overcome the prejudice of your squad and prove you are the best. The game finishing with a romance and acceptance after proving your worth and bravery. Opening the eyes and overcoming the prejudice of your comrades on a journey of self discovery.

Theres a game I would play. I smell oscar nominee...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Some people were saying the same thing about Sonic Colors, that it ripped off Mario Galaxy by 'bringing Sonic to space' news flash Sonic has been to space in 1992 and back, then to a tethered planet.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
What the hell? In gears of war you play grizzled, long suffering survivalists, ducking from cover to cover and wearing little more than a glowing T-shirt

In Spacemaring you stride through oncoming fire WEARING the cover, meer humans cower behind you as your enemies bear down on you.

Marcus Fenix survives the locust and fights them in a series of brilliant strategic strikes born out of desperation. Captain Titus is a walking armour regiment, destroying all in his path.

There IS a difference.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
bjj hero said:
Versuvius said:
bjj hero said:
Simeon Ivanov said:
Whatever mows your lawn I guess. And maybe they get off on none space marine dudes... like when they are alongside imperial guard. Or get it on when multiple chapters get together like a steroid filled highschool prom.

It doesn't stop there being gay spacemarines. It's a good premise, having to overcome the prejudice of your squad and prove you are the best. The game finishing with a romance and acceptance after proving your worth and bravery. Opening the eyes and overcoming the prejudice of your comrades on a journey of self discovery.

Theres a game I would play. I smell oscar nominee...
Psychoconditioning, training, brutal execution in some initiates training for that kind of thing. Now they -could- have been gay before they were marines, but afterward it...just isn't viable. It might be true in some chapters, Salamanders are encouraged to live with normal human families but this is Ultramarines. They are perfect, flawless. Perfect and flawless in a facist, xenophobic, slave driven empire wide society. Since it is run by a CHURCH based heavily on christianity, preaching purity, restraint, piety (Not freedom, love and peace, those happen when you die and only if you die in service of the emperor) it is just so highly unlikely. That and to make them super soldiers they have their urges either buried or outright turned off. Understand the background of Warhammer before making assumptions.

Ps. Emperors Children don't count.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
How in the world is Space Marine a Gears of War clone? Gears of War gameplay focuses heavily on cover. Space Marine doesn't do cover. Instead you wade into the enemy and beat the shit out of them. Unlike Gears of War where getting into close combat is also a risky business due to the frequency of melee insta-kills.

So no, Space Marine is not a Gears of War clone. The allegation probably comes from the fact that it's a third person shooter, but saying that every third person shooter is a Gears of War clone (which wasn't even the first) is like saying that every FPS is a Call of Duty clone.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Versuvius said:
Psychoconditioning, training, brutal execution in some initiates training for that kind of thing. Now they -could- have been gay before they were marines, but afterward it...just isn't viable. It might be true in some chapters, Salamanders are encouraged to live with normal human families but this is Ultramarines. They are perfect, flawless. Perfect and flawless in a facist, xenophobic, slave driven empire wide society. Since it is run by a CHURCH based heavily on christianity, preaching purity, restraint, piety (Not freedom, love and peace, those happen when you die and only if you die in service of the emperor) it is just so highly unlikely. That and to make them super soldiers they have their urges either buried or outright turned off. Understand the background of Warhammer before making assumptions.

You say that but ancient spartans had a similar structure and ethos. In ancient sparta intimacy common amongst males.

As far as the piety and having urges turned "off", Im sure you are aware that there is not a single gay priest in existence and they are all celibate. I'm not aware of any mention of sexual preference included in the space marine fluff.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Hey you, yes you! You god fanboy gaylord-asspirates, Wh40k came first and if it wasn't for that you wouldn't of gotten your precious chainsaw bayonets.

So piss off.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
bjj hero said:
Versuvius said:

You say that but ancient spartans had a similar structure and ethos. In ancient sparta intimacy common amongst males.

As far as the piety and having urges turned "off", Im sure you are aware that there is not a single gay priest in existence and they are all celibate. I'm not aware of any mention of sexual preference included in the space marine fluff.
Spartans don't have 22 new organs implanted specificially to chemically alter their bodies and brains and days hooked up to mind altering brain machines pumping information, opinions and State-Approved conceps into their minds.

Also the church is as corrupt as hell but still holds a totalitarian grip over the imperium of man.