Space Marines Rumored for Next Call of Duty

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Space Marines Rumored for Next Call of Duty

Industry sources are suggesting that the next Call of Duty game will dump the mostly realistic settings of previous installments in favor of something more futuristic.

When you think of the Call of Duty series, what comes to mind? Perhaps the infamous "No Russian" level in Modern Warfare 2, or the Nazi zombies of World at War? Maybe even your first glimpse of Captain Price's magnificent moustache in the very first Call of Duty. Whatever actually tops your list, it probably isn't space marines, but that's the direction that Activision is rumored to be taking for the next game.

This little tidbit comes by way of "industry sources," and,if true, would represent a significant shift away from the territory that Infinity Ward and Treyach have established with the last seven Call of Duty games. This isn't the first rumblings of a futuristic installment of Call of Duty however, as earlier in the year, Activision registered a number of domains [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100695-Call-of-Duty-Might-Take-a-DeLorean-Into-the-Future] with names like "Space Warfare" and "Future Warfare." It's hard to tell whether those domain names are just one piece of the "Call of Duty: Space Marine Combat" puzzle, or just Activision trying to prevent other games trading off the "Modern Warfare" name with a sound-alike title, but my money is on the latter.

A Call of Duty set in space could happen, and wouldn't be the first time that the series has radically changed its setting. But there's a heck of a lot of difference between going from a World War II setting to a non-specific, but still realistic Middle Eastern setting, and dumping the real world conflict in favor of something created from whole cloth.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31410/Analysis_What_Lies_Ahead_For_Call_of_Duty.php]

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I'm sure Kotick will say something about how this new game will 'show great respect for our future space marines' or some other PR nonsense.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I'm all right with it as long as it isn't Call Of Duty 8, they should end the series with Black Ops. Call it something else.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
So you're making fucking Halo now? Brilliant, for a second there I thought the game's industry had run out of ideas COMPLETELY

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That might actually get me interested in this series again. Therefore it won't happen.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Oh good. Lets completely kill the theme of the game in order to sell more copies to halo fanboys. I can just see how this game is being designed completely by Activision's marketing dept.
Not that I really care, though. For me, CoD ended with 4.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
It could be good, not necessarily in space, but as a slightly futuristic shooter.
A decent level of realism in the story could work well with a near-future setting, let's say... Shattered Horizon + Battlefield 2142 + decent writing.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
bfgmetalhead said:
for the emporor lol
Unfortunately it wouldn't be 40k Space Marines, THQ has exclusive rights to the 40k franchise for video games. If anything it would be Starcraft marines.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I could see that working.
I could also see that failing miserably.
The concept is actually pretty feasible too. Its obvious they don't want to tread too many feet in the modern war settings. Its perfectly fine to rag on Nazis, but titles like 'Six Days in Fallujah' and even that new Medal of Honor game show that there are limits to what game developers can put in a modern setting game. The future always has that 'je ne sais quoi' appeal about it as well as an allowable ambiguity as to the factions involved. Besides, who doesn't love aliens and power-armor. I know I love aliens and power-armor... and mechs.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
More power armour space marine orientated games? Can anyone else smell the stagnation?

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Instead of crying about how "unoriginal" this rumor is, I'll choose to be optimistic. When you can invent weapons and gadgets from the ground up, balancing becomes less of an issue, since you don't have to worry about making a loose parallel to a real firearm. Personally, I'd love some frantic COD action in a Blade Runner-type setting. Or whatever futuristic setting they go with.

I just wonder if there'll be an obligatory bipedal 'mech/power armor segment.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
qbanknight said:
So you're making fucking Halo now? Brilliant, for a second there I thought the game's industry had run out of ideas COMPLETELY
Don't bes silly, it'll have a COMPLETELY different name....
...like Pitchfork!
And it'll be set on a world shaped like a Blivet!
And, of course, the Russians have occupied it!
It's aaaaaaall original, you see!

orangebandguy

Jan 9, 2009
I guess the game needed some righteous cleansing rage at some point.

I shotgun the Khorne Berzerker class!