stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
Oh yeah, lucky octopus! I think we should put him on Deal or no deal, see how he fares. If he wins all the money, then yeah psychic.

Guessing with 1/2 odds isn't that hard.
He had a 8% chance of being right throughout all of them. It is impressive.
Not with some of the teams playing.
The octopus did not make any judgements based on wether one team was better on the other, he went for oysters. Thus it is a 50/50 chance each time, and an ~8% chance overall.
I'm still 90% sure that they could easily make the octopus go for one or the other.
They didn't know who would win, I'm under the impression Netherlands were the favourites. So why would they bet on Spain? Its just cool and unlikely, christ, not everything has to be trickery.
Spain were always the favourites, right from the beginning.

Also, you're trusting a so-called psychic octopus?
I'm not trusting him, I'm trusting that it wasn't rigged, seeing as all the other years he didn't get it perfect. Netherlands were undefeated, Spain had a loss. Occolms razor, its easier to believe it was chance.
Occam's razor states that the most simple answer is usually the right one. Usually. I can't trust that it's not rigged, especially something as outlandish as that.
I was wondering how to spell it. Occams razor says the least number of assumptions is the most logical answer. It requires no assumptions (maybe 1) to accept that the octopus guessed right, suggesting it was rigged requires several assumptions and thus is irrational.
Yeah, because believe that an octopus can tell the future is logical.
You seem to have misrepresented my entire argument with astounding tenacity. Clearly that's not logical, it is in fact, not logical to believe any theory put forward or even believe in his existance without seeing him yourself/having a credible source. I spoke of rationality and I never suggested he can tell the future. What I am saying, is that its more likely/rational that he guessed right with an 8% chance, than that its all rigged/made up.

Why, pray tell, is it so unacceptable that something unusual occurred?
Because I don't think you should place your trust in something like that. It's much more probable that it was rigged than the octopus getting all of them correct with an 8% chance.
No it isn't. He's been wrong in other years, why would they rig this one? Why and how would they rig it, with no funds to gain? Do you expect journalists to be so stupid that they wouldn't notice if one thing couldn't be opened? Its irrational to think it is rigged, and if it is more likely I'd like evidence.
I didn't say it had to be rigged in one way. Wouldn't get money from the press coverage? Maybe he was wrong in other years because they wanted this one to seem genuine.

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
Referee didn't do a good job in my opinion. (He gave cards where it wasn't necessary, but failed to give de Jong a red card for that karate kick)

Apart from that, Spain was better and deserved it.

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
Before I forget:

Voor de andere Nederlanders hier: niet zo zeuren, volgende keer beter.

Translation: to the other Dutch people: get over it, maybe we have better luck next time.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
Oh yeah, lucky octopus! I think we should put him on Deal or no deal, see how he fares. If he wins all the money, then yeah psychic.

Guessing with 1/2 odds isn't that hard.
He had a 8% chance of being right throughout all of them. It is impressive.
Not with some of the teams playing.
The octopus did not make any judgements based on wether one team was better on the other, he went for oysters. Thus it is a 50/50 chance each time, and an ~8% chance overall.
I'm still 90% sure that they could easily make the octopus go for one or the other.
They didn't know who would win, I'm under the impression Netherlands were the favourites. So why would they bet on Spain? Its just cool and unlikely, christ, not everything has to be trickery.
Spain were always the favourites, right from the beginning.

Also, you're trusting a so-called psychic octopus?
I'm not trusting him, I'm trusting that it wasn't rigged, seeing as all the other years he didn't get it perfect. Netherlands were undefeated, Spain had a loss. Occolms razor, its easier to believe it was chance.
Occam's razor states that the most simple answer is usually the right one. Usually. I can't trust that it's not rigged, especially something as outlandish as that.
I was wondering how to spell it. Occams razor says the least number of assumptions is the most logical answer. It requires no assumptions (maybe 1) to accept that the octopus guessed right, suggesting it was rigged requires several assumptions and thus is irrational.
Yeah, because believe that an octopus can tell the future is logical.
You seem to have misrepresented my entire argument with astounding tenacity. Clearly that's not logical, it is in fact, not logical to believe any theory put forward or even believe in his existance without seeing him yourself/having a credible source. I spoke of rationality and I never suggested he can tell the future. What I am saying, is that its more likely/rational that he guessed right with an 8% chance, than that its all rigged/made up.

Why, pray tell, is it so unacceptable that something unusual occurred?
Because I don't think you should place your trust in something like that. It's much more probable that it was rigged than the octopus getting all of them correct with an 8% chance.
No it isn't. He's been wrong in other years, why would they rig this one? Why and how would they rig it, with no funds to gain? Do you expect journalists to be so stupid that they wouldn't notice if one thing couldn't be opened? Its irrational to think it is rigged, and if it is more likely I'd like evidence.
I didn't say it had to be rigged in one way. Wouldn't get money from the press coverage? Maybe he was wrong in other years because they wanted this one to seem genuine.
I think if you read what you just said, and compare it to the possibility it was luck, you see you're starting to dwindle into conspiracy theories. Although I'm starting to think that you agreeing with me, after your last response, is about as likely as the octopus being psychic.

So, unless you have any evidence, or its proven to be a sham or I suppose if you wish to agree with me; we should probably leave it here or move off to PM. Your choice.
I just don't trust things like that. I think we should agree to disagree.

Good day, sir.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I wanted Oranje to win. In the end Spain deserved to win since Netherlands decided to kick the old "let's just punch/grab/smack/kick the shit out of everybody and see what happens" mode into high gear. They can play great football, but just like most of us southern Europeans like to dive from time to time, they have the annoying tendency to become homicidal maniacs when things don't go their way.

EDIT: Couldn't care less about some octopus that chooses oysters from boxes with flags on them or whatever, to be brutally honest.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
jopomeister said:
Heh.
Isn't anyone going to mention the fact that the Ref was british, and so is the octopus (Technically)? Ref didn't want to make the Octopus look bad! :D
Thank god too, all this country needs is one last fail to bring on mass suicide.
DrEmo said:
reggaerae said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
FUCK THE OCTOPUS! NETHERLANDS SHOULD HAVE WON. NOT THE BUCKET OF GREASE THAT IS SPAIN. DIVING IS NOT FOOTBALL.
1. It's Soccer, not football.

2. Soccer is 60% diving. To participate in a soccer team you need a Bachelor's in Theater.

3. The other 40% of the game is divided between passing the ball, kicking at nowhere in particular and doing the airplane.

I wanted the Netherlands to win. Oh, well, can't have everything you want, I suppose.
Its football not soccer. The nation who invented the game gets to name it jackass.
That 'jackass' at the end was uncalled for. You forgot the coma after 'it' as well.
I now assume because you have completely ignored my valid point, that I am indeed correct and you - sir - fail.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
reggaerae said:
jopomeister said:
Heh.
Isn't anyone going to mention the fact that the Ref was british, and so is the octopus (Technically)? Ref didn't want to make the Octopus look bad! :D
Thank god too, all this country needs is one last fail to bring on mass suicide.
DrEmo said:
reggaerae said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
FUCK THE OCTOPUS! NETHERLANDS SHOULD HAVE WON. NOT THE BUCKET OF GREASE THAT IS SPAIN. DIVING IS NOT FOOTBALL.
1. It's Soccer, not football.

2. Soccer is 60% diving. To participate in a soccer team you need a Bachelor's in Theater.

3. The other 40% of the game is divided between passing the ball, kicking at nowhere in particular and doing the airplane.

I wanted the Netherlands to win. Oh, well, can't have everything you want, I suppose.
Its football not soccer. The nation who invented the game gets to name it jackass.
That 'jackass' at the end was uncalled for. You forgot the coma after 'it' as well.
I now assume because you have completely ignored my valid point, that I am indeed correct and you - sir - fail.
The use of internet memes makes your point less valid.
Also, seeing as how you're the only person who didn't get it, but that was a joke.