stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
Oh yeah, lucky octopus! I think we should put him on Deal or no deal, see how he fares. If he wins all the money, then yeah psychic.

Guessing with 1/2 odds isn't that hard.
He had a 8% chance of being right throughout all of them. It is impressive.
Not with some of the teams playing.
The octopus did not make any judgements based on wether one team was better on the other, he went for oysters. Thus it is a 50/50 chance each time, and an ~8% chance overall.
I'm still 90% sure that they could easily make the octopus go for one or the other.
They didn't know who would win, I'm under the impression Netherlands were the favourites. So why would they bet on Spain? Its just cool and unlikely, christ, not everything has to be trickery.
Spain were always the favourites, right from the beginning.

Also, you're trusting a so-called psychic octopus?
I'm not trusting him, I'm trusting that it wasn't rigged, seeing as all the other years he didn't get it perfect. Netherlands were undefeated, Spain had a loss. Occolms razor, its easier to believe it was chance.
Occam's razor states that the most simple answer is usually the right one. Usually. I can't trust that it's not rigged, especially something as outlandish as that.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
FUCK THE OCTOPUS! NETHERLANDS SHOULD HAVE WON. NOT THE BUCKET OF GREASE THAT IS SPAIN. DIVING IS NOT FOOTBALL.
1. It's Soccer, not football.

2. Soccer is 60% diving. To participate in a soccer team you need a Bachelor's in Theater.

3. The other 40% of the game is divided between passing the ball, kicking at nowhere in particular and doing the airplane.

I wanted the Netherlands to win. Oh, well, can't have everything you want, I suppose.
1. It's Football not soccer!

In which of the two sports do you use your foot all the time Football! and in which sport do you kick it once in a while American Football! European logic strikes again!

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
BringBackBuck said:
Congrats to Spain.

That means only 1 team remained undefeated at the end of the World Cup:

NEW ZEALAND! Go the All Whites.
Hell yes! As a Kiwi and a football fan, I loved that, even just for a short while, football came before rugby in the sports news.

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
ZeroDotZero said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
FUCK THE OCTOPUS! NETHERLANDS SHOULD HAVE WON. NOT THE BUCKET OF GREASE THAT IS SPAIN. DIVING IS NOT FOOTBALL.
It's Football and Soccer. American Football is not the same as Football. Soccer and Football are the same. Case closed.
Precisely.

Fun fact: Football was the original English name. The term 'soccer' was also invented in England, not America, and was formed from the FA's name ? Football AsSOCiation. True story! I read it in a footy fact book.

Therefore, while football is the original term, both names are valid. Americans just use the word 'soccer' because they use the name 'football' to refer to another sport.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:

2. Soccer is 60% diving. To participate in a soccer team you need a Bachelor's in Theater.

3. The other 40% of the game is divided between passing the ball, kicking at nowhere in particular and doing the airplane.

I wanted the Netherlands to win. Oh, well, can't have everything you want, I suppose.
Its football not soccer. The nation who invented the game gets to name it jackass.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Shit it's more talented than most world leaders, give it real choices...

Should we send aid to X, should we invade whoeverstan...

Shit have it guess the lotto.

Octobob for President!
Can't be worse than any other world leader...and if it screws up it least has the excuse "Hey it's a f'in octopus what ya expect?"

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Xyliss said:
Ickorus said:
That match was disgusting, that goal should never have been since the spain player was offside on the first pass to him, it doesn't matter if it rebounded off the holland player before reaching him it was still offside.

And some of those calls the referee was (and was not) making were ridiculous.
Yes, but speaking as an Englishman the refereeing throughout the whole tournament was diabolical,so that game was no different
Agreed but that guy was something else, kinda makes me ashamed to be of the same nationality as him.

jopomeister

Apr 7, 2010
Heh.
Isn't anyone going to mention the fact that the Ref was british, and so is the octopus (Technically)? Ref didn't want to make the Octopus look bad! :D
Thank god too, all this country needs is one last fail to bring on mass suicide.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Ickorus said:
Xyliss said:
Ickorus said:
That match was disgusting, that goal should never have been since the spain player was offside on the first pass to him, it doesn't matter if it rebounded off the holland player before reaching him it was still offside.

And some of those calls the referee was (and was not) making were ridiculous.
Yes, but speaking as an Englishman the refereeing throughout the whole tournament was diabolical,so that game was no different
Agreed but that guy was something else, kinda makes me ashamed to be of the same nationality as him.
Yea true, but we can't just blame him. The game itself was shocking...incredibly bad for a final

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:

1.its Football, not soccer. Thats a group of Americans (yes I am American) Being idiots calling a game that doesn't use feet, football. (O BUT WAHTSABOUT THE FIELDSSS GOALS AND KIZCKS OFFS?) yeah two parts that last 5 scounds

2. Yes if you have some dude kicking at you putting his arms in front of you and you constantly having to watch out for him so you don't get penalized for knocking him over you would be diving as well from mis balance.

3. As a football player, passing is key to move the ball up t'words the goal and for a cross into the box for a available player to kick it in. Yet when you have 2 defenders your going to try your best to not just make it go out for the hope of keeping the play alive.

OP: Figured. They did win two years prior to the world cup in the England tournament I think.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
reggaerae said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:

Its football not soccer. The nation who invented the game gets to name it jackass.
That 'jackass' at the end was uncalled for. You forgot the coma after 'it' as well.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Why an octopus? It's not too out there; the NHL uses a monkey named Maggie, for instance. But why an octopus? Does it symbolize something?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
Oh yeah, lucky octopus! I think we should put him on Deal or no deal, see how he fares. If he wins all the money, then yeah psychic.

The octopus did not make any judgements based on wether one team was better on the other, he went for oysters. Thus it is a 50/50 chance each time, and an ~8% chance overall.
I'm still 90% sure that they could easily make the octopus go for one or the other.
They didn't know who would win, I'm under the impression Netherlands were the favourites. So why would they bet on Spain? Its just cool and unlikely, christ, not everything has to be trickery.

I'm not trusting him, I'm trusting that it wasn't rigged, seeing as all the other years he didn't get it perfect. Netherlands were undefeated, Spain had a loss. Occolms razor, its easier to believe it was chance.
Occam's razor states that the most simple answer is usually the right one. Usually. I can't trust that it's not rigged, especially something as outlandish as that.
I was wondering how to spell it. Occams razor says the least number of assumptions is the most logical answer. It requires no assumptions (maybe 1) to accept that the octopus guessed right, suggesting it was rigged requires several assumptions and thus is irrational.
Yeah, because believe that an octopus can tell the future is logical.

cptn ricardo

Dec 5, 2009
The Octopus was born in my hometown! Finally another claim to fame other than being the place where the Black Death entered England....

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Why an octopus? It's not too out there; the NHL uses a monkey named Maggie, for instance. But why an octopus? Does it symbolize something?
It symbolizes nothing. It was just something that the owners of the aquarium decided to do in the last Euro Cup, cause they had nothing better to do, and it kinda stuck on. The Octopus guessed the matches of Germany in the Euro and in this World Cup he did the same plus the Final Match. He has a rate of 80% success overall of something.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:

I was wondering how to spell it. Occams razor says the least number of assumptions is the most logical answer. It requires no assumptions (maybe 1) to accept that the octopus guessed right, suggesting it was rigged requires several assumptions and thus is irrational.
Yeah, because believe that an octopus can tell the future is logical.
You seem to have misrepresented my entire argument with astounding tenacity. Clearly that's not logical, it is in fact, not logical to believe any theory put forward or even believe in his existance without seeing him yourself/having a credible source. I spoke of rationality and I never suggested he can tell the future. What I am saying, is that its more likely/rational that he guessed right with an 8% chance, than that its all rigged/made up.

Why, pray tell, is it so unacceptable that something unusual occurred?
Because I don't think you should place your trust in something like that. It's much more probable that it was rigged than the octopus getting all of them correct with an 8% chance.