Speak Your Mind in the Next Version of Dungeons & Dragons

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Speak Your Mind in the Next Version of Dungeons & Dragons

Wizards of the Coast confirms the design team is busy working on a new version of D&D.

Read Full Article

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I hope they're not kidding about maintaining support for 4th edition. It's not that I'm too stubborn to move on, as I'm certain the next edition will be lovely, but those manuals are god-awfully expensive.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
I hope they're not kidding about maintaining support for 4th edition. It's not that I'm too stubborn to move on, as I'm certain the next edition will be lovely, but those manuals are god-awfully expensive.
Word. My group started on Essentials and just decided to upgrade to regular 4th edition. I don't want to tell them that we have to spend another $60 bucks on a *third* set of rulebooks.

TJ Johnston

Apr 1, 2010
Play tests are always a good thing, and I'm glad that they seem to be taking things seriously this time around.

I'm almost wondering if this is too soon. Will there be edition burn out?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Where as I only bought the first three core rule books before I realized that 4th edition was not for me. So I guess I'm looking forward to a new edition. Glad to see Monte Cook back on the team. Now hire Zeb Cook and get some quality flowing.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
TJ Johnston said:
Play tests are always a good thing, and I'm glad that they seem to be taking things seriously this time around.

I'm almost wondering if this is too soon. Will there be edition burn out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons

They're more or less right on schedule.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Hybrid D&D, huh?

Not a bad way to get people to find which editions suit them if they find some hybrid rules more appealing than others.

TJ Johnston

Apr 1, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons

They're more or less right on schedule.
Eh. Maybe it's my age or the fact that events in my life keep coming at me so quickly, but I feel like I JUST bought fourth edition (even though I bought it back when it first came out).

I'm going to play test this new edition, and hopefully I'll like it as much as Mr. Tito has. I love Pathfinder, but there's a part of me that wants to roll dice with good ole DnD.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I am... scared.

I think Wizards is dragging their franchise down Square-Enix's Final Fantasy path, and it concerns me greatly.

If they want to resume this path, I highly recommend they look at the rule system for Star Wars Sage Edition. I had thought 3.5e was the greatest d20 system, until I DMed a session of SW Saga Edition and thought 'Holy hell, they've actually perfected the damn thing! Fast and fluid, plus a hoot to enjoy. Bravo'.

But, I will give it a go... at some point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lord Beautiful said:
Yeah, there's a lot of investment involved, which is the main reason I'm usually slow to shift editions.

Though the confirmation of a new edition kind of puts me in an odd spot. Early last year, my Roleplaying books were all destroyed by the fire in my building (actually, the water used to fight the fire). I recently got into a place where I could afford to actually throw some cash at some RPG titles, but I don't want to invest in 4E until I see how the new iteration plays out. I might like it, I might hate it, but I'd hate to start investing again now.

Maybe I'll just buy an old 3.5E core set and run with that for a while.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
I am... scared.

I think Wizards is dragging their franchise down Square-Enix's Final Fantasy path, and it concerns me greatly.

If they want to resume this path, I highly recommend they look at the rule system for Star Wars Sage Edition. I had thought 3.5e was the greatest d20 system, until I DMed a session of SW Saga Edition and thought 'Holy hell, they've actually perfected the damn thing! Fast and fluid, plus a hoot to enjoy. Bravo'.

But, I will give it a go... at some point.
In many ways, Saga was a prototype for 4E, so they did sort of go down that path. Unfortunately, only sort of.

It's a shame Saga's no longer on the market. I'm a Star Wars fan and I loved Saga Edition, but apparently there's no money in tabletop Star Wars stuff.

KKDragonLord

Oct 31, 2009
Let's hope this time it goes back to being an RPG instead of a poorly designed wargame. The combat grid has killed roleplaying as early as the Player's Options & Combat in 2e AD&D, somehow i don't think the designers will understand the difference this time around, or ever again. 4e is the apex of that design flaw, every game where moving pieces in the combat grid takes at least 80% of the session time is not about roleplaying anymore its just a heavy and cumbersome boardgame.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The best news so far for me:

The Forgotten Realms will be supported from the start, and a video game art studio from China has been hired to fully detail the Realms. I asked if going forward support would be continued for the current time after the Spellplague and the Neverwinter Campaign. A WotC spokesperson answered, "The Forgotten Realms has a rich history and we will support all of it. It is for the gamers to decide which time they would enjoy playing in."
source [http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/316036-off-see-wizards-day-wizards-coast-showed-me-d-d-5th-edition.html]

EDIT: SIGN UP HERE FOR NOTIFICATION OF THE PLAY TESTING! [http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20120109]

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
Agreed, I've spent millions of dollars in all the special handbooks suddenly they'll be like "buy em again?"

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Aww. I, literally, just bought a 4th edition Player's handbook. Well I suppose I still need it to play in my friend's campaign.

I'm looking forward to see how they change things.

SkullKing84

Feb 10, 2011
We backed 4e for a little while. Cause frankly with 3e while the game was great for PCs, the DMs got frustrated after 6th level. Fights would take FOREVER (How many attacks can you do... oh... We're going to watch a movie. hope you'll be done soon after it ends.). Spent hours making cool monster that would be dust in 3 rounds... 3 long rounds. In 4e fights went quicker and monster we made were rememberable and could still be challenging... but the 4e fights seemed to lack soul (as a few people put it). I'm a guy who plays in 5 games a week... 4e is now only 1 night and 3e never goes past 6 level (currently Zero 3e games I'm in). We stopped buying 4e books after the core 3 (plus PHB2,3 and MM2), Not going to give Essentials a try (why would we buy more books about a system that makes us go "meh"). And none of my friends even want to try Pathfinder for all the 3e issues they've had.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
That's some creative spin there. D&D was basically dead after 2nd edition, and 3rd edition ressurected it and became massively more popular. 4th edition has essentially been a disaster. All the people I know who played 4th edition have now either gone back to 3E or moved on to Pathfinder. 4th edition was a terrible, poorly designed, amateurish attempt at a game. They should have called it "D&D Tactics" or something, and made it a spin-off, because it does not deserve to be a "real" Dungeons and Dragons game.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I have one rule for improving the next version of D&D. SELL IT IN WAL-MART. Why do I say that? Because there are no game shops anywhere near me and they don't sell it anywhere else.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Congratulations to Greg and the Escapist on his mention in the New York Times regarding the D&D overhaul (at least in its online incarnation)!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Allow me to don my 25/- Fire Damage Resisting pantaloons and say:

Thou need to ditch paper and go digital.

BUT D&D IS ABOUT PLAYING FACE TO FACE IN A BASEMENT AND BLAHBLAHBLAH no. It was. It isn't anymore. It worked for nerds in the 80's because thats how nerds in the 80's congregated - in dark rooms and basements with bottles of mountain dew, together. These days nerds have the INTERNET, so they stay in their own dark rooms and basements with bottles of mountain dew, alone.

I need to be able to hop on the internet, build a character sheet, select some char clipart, and find a group and a DM halfway acrossed the world. D&D needs to be a social network with the built in tools and equipment for playing the game including on the fly rule referencing, map making tools, shareible information and PMing, etc.