BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
OP, get off dat crack pipe. I could possibly understand if you had STORYWISE as the first word in your topic. (even though I haven't played it, I heard the story was it's strength)

But lets not forget about a little something called GAMEPLAY. LOL

The best military shooter ever is Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and the Resistance expansion for it.
We are talking about shooters here, not simulators. Try to keep up.

OT: I wouldn't really say it is the best military shooter ever. As a shooter, it is fairly average on the gameplay front. Yes, this plays into the story of the game, but it still has pretty average gameplay. The story and whatnot is where the game really shines, and even then it is only a military shooter in the same way that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a stoner movie, Watchmen is a super-hero comic, or The Venture Brothers is an adventure show. :p
OFP is a shooter. A tactical shooter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Cold_War_Crisis Look where it says genre on the right over there. Virtual Battle Station (VBS) is the simulator which has been used by military forces in training http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82RWGuuESU

Try and keep up, please.
And right next to that it says battlefield simulator game, which is a far more accurate description for a game that is focused on simulating realistic combat situations. It looks like someone needs to learn how to read...
Genre(s) - Tactical shooter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Cold_War_Crisis

GAMEPLAY - The game is best described as a tactical shooter with significant vehicle elements and minor real-time tactics elements

And I need to learn how to read ??

Again, I know you probably never heard of it, but VBS IS THE SIMULATOR. Is that so hard to understand ?
The game uses the same engine as a military simulator. The game is about simulating realistic modern combat encounters, same as a flight sim is about simulating realistic piloting. In the first sentence of the Wikipedia article, it is described as a "battlefield simulator video game". I don't know why you keep denying that it is a simulator game when you are obviously wrong. It isn't like it being a simulator game makes it any less good. It just means it isn't a shooter.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
You're talking about a game that's main inspiration is Apocalypse Now. It's not the best, it just turns the usual conventions on it's head.

Simply because it's contrarian doesn't make it better, just refreshing.

Yes, it does show the bad side of war, but it shove it in your face just as badly as the games on the other extreme of the scale. A better game would be one which holds true to both ends and meets them in the middle: One where patriotism and the ugliness of war can be presented hand in hand to leave it up to the player to decide the morality of the conflict in the game.

A great scenario for such a game would be playing a Ukrainian fighting in the SS for Germany against the Soviets in WWII. Force the player with a terrible situation: It's either siding with the old bad guys who are slaughtering and oppressing your people or the new bad guys who are only concerned with slaughtering other people and might oppress yours in the long term but aren't doing so at the present time.

A pawn trying to use other, greater nations as pawns in the remote hope of improving your peoples plight.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
The plot and way it's approached is pretty darn good and the ending was so utterly bleak it was really quite moving, even if the game is rather hypocritical in its attempts to make the player feel somewhat guilty for their actions.

On the other hand the gameplay is fucking awful.
Within about 10 minutes I'd come to the conclusion that I was basically playing time crisis.
Pop out of cover, shoot a guy, duck back into cover. Rinse, repeat.
The cover mechanic was total crap and lacked any fluidity whatsoever, half the time when you attempted to run into cover you'd just stand up upon reaching it.

Sniping was broken, when aiming at people the scope would 'stick' if you tried to move it upwards once aiming at a soldier, making it bloody difficult to get headshots at times.

Ai partners were a bit of a joke, and about as reliable as said sniping.

So in the end, gameplay is rubbish in comparison to any other current shooter I can think of, what really makes it is the plot and characterization, it has infinitely more depth then the competition.
It's worth £10 easily, but at full price I'd feel rather ripped off.

TizzytheTormentor said:
That's it, my interest has been piqued! I must pick up this game!

Is it co-op? If it is, me an my cousin could play it together!
Yup it is.

books of war 13 said:
No your wrong

IT IS THE BEST GAME EVER PERIOD
Name one deeper experience then spec ops the line
Pot holing? Durp.

Whilst this game is certainly interesting, it's nowhere near teh bestest evar. Is perhaps the only game you've ever played angry birds?

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
OP, get off dat crack pipe. I could possibly understand if you had STORYWISE as the first word in your topic. (even though I haven't played it, I heard the story was it's strength)

The best military shooter ever is Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and the Resistance expansion for it.

OT: I wouldn't really say it is the best military shooter ever. As a shooter, it is fairly average on the gameplay front. Yes, this plays into the story of the game, but it still has pretty average gameplay. The story and whatnot is where the game really shines, and even then it is only a military shooter in the same way that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a stoner movie, Watchmen is a super-hero comic, or The Venture Brothers is an adventure show. :p
OFP is a shooter. A tactical shooter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Cold_War_Crisis Look where it says genre on the right over there. Virtual Battle Station (VBS) is the simulator which has been used by military forces in training http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82RWGuuESU

Try and keep up, please.
And right next to that it says battlefield simulator game, which is a far more accurate description for a game that is focused on simulating realistic combat situations. It looks like someone needs to learn how to read...
Genre(s) - Tactical shooter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Cold_War_Crisis

GAMEPLAY - The game is best described as a tactical shooter with significant vehicle elements and minor real-time tactics elements

Again, I know you probably never heard of it, but VBS IS THE SIMULATOR. Is that so hard to understand ?
The game uses the same engine as a military simulator. The game is about simulating realistic modern combat encounters, same as a flight sim is about simulating realistic piloting. In the first sentence of the Wikipedia article, it is described as a "battlefield simulator video game". I don't know why you keep denying that it is a simulator game when you are obviously wrong. It isn't like it being a simulator game makes it any less good. It just means it isn't a shooter.
When it comes down to it, they're really all shooters cause you shoot guns in them. They're just different types of shooters. Some are more run-n-gun and some are more tactical and slower paced like OFP.
You guys do realize how daft that argument is, right?

Captcha, lunatic fridge.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know if I'd go with 'Best'. In terms of story, it blows every other military shooter out of the water. I will take that game to my grave. It even kills the stories of many non-shooter games. So yes, it is certainly the best in terms of story, no doubt.

Gameplay though, nothing special. Very general and generic. It does get one up on Call of Duty in one area though: my teammates can actually shoot enemies and not just unload entire magazines two feet to the left of the enemy.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I wouldn't say its the best. Critiques and satires can rarely be considered the best. That's not the point of them, they are the outlier and outside opinion, not a part of the work as a whole.
Aside from that, why the hell do you need to categorize it as the best? Why can't it just be a good critique and important to the genera without having to be put into the dick waving contest of 'what is best'?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I actually do plan on buying it, but I can be patient enough to wait to see if it goes cheaper tomorrow or if it goes cheaper during the christmas sale. If not, I have no problem paying 50% off on the last day of the christmas one.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:

Try and keep up, please.

When it comes down to it, they're really all military shooters cause you shoot guns in them and they're based on the military aspect. You're just nitpicking. They're just different types of shooters, that's all. Some are more run-n-gun and some are more tactical and slower paced like OFP.
You are being overly broad in your genre definitions. If we are going with that definition, then Jagged Alliance is a military shooter, because you shoot guns in it and is based around the military. And since Jagged Alliance is obviously not a shooter, that definition is utter crap. Genres can share similar elements, but sharing elements does not mean that the genres suddenly become interchangeable. For instance, COD multiplayer is not an RPG because it has leveling up features and the ability to equip different items; it is still an FPS.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:

Try and keep up, please.

When it comes down to it, they're really all military shooters cause you shoot guns in them and they're based on the military aspect. You're just nitpicking. They're just different types of shooters, that's all. Some are more run-n-gun and some are more tactical and slower paced like OFP.
You are being overly broad in your genre definitions. If we are going with that definition, then Jagged Alliance is a military shooter, because you shoot guns in it and is based around the military. And since Jagged Alliance is obviously not a shooter, that definition is utter crap. Genres can share similar elements, but sharing elements does not mean that the genres suddenly become interchangeable. For instance, COD multiplayer is not an RPG because it has leveling up features and the ability to equip different items; it is still an FPS.
Come on now, JA2 is a turn based strategy game, OBVIOUSLY a different genre. Gameplay is COMPLETELY different.
You were the one who came up with that crappy definition, not me.

And games that share common gameplay elements can still be completely different genres. Microsoft Flight and Crimson Skies are both games about flying planes; one is an arcadey action game, the other is a flight sim. See the difference?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:

Try and keep up, please.

Come on now, JA2 is a turn based strategy game, OBVIOUSLY a different genre. Gameplay is COMPLETELY different.
You were the one who came up with that crappy definition, not me.

And games that share common gameplay elements can still be completely different genres. Microsoft Flight and Crimson Skies are both games about flying planes; one is an arcadey action game, the other is a flight sim. See the difference?
So what about games like Ghost Recon 1 ? Is that a military shooter ? That has more in common with OFP than it does with games like CoD.
I got no idea, I have never played Ghost Recon 1. Why you asking me? Think about it for yourself and make your own decision.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dexter111 said:
(it's funny that franchises like Call of Duty and the new Medal of Honor have dragged Shooters to levels so low that one doesn?t even expect a good story or anything deeper than mowing down whatever the game tells you are ?terrorists? or ?enemies?).
So... COD has put shooters back to where they always were? Wut? How does that make any sense?

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Is it co-op? If it is, me an my cousin could play it together
flaming_squirrel said:
Yup it is.
Yes, but it's not what you expect it to be (probably). The co-op consists of 4 co-op missions. That's it; no co-op story mode.

Twilight_guy said:
Aside from that, why the hell do you need to categorize it as the best? Why can't it just be a good critique and important to the genera without having to be put into the dick waving contest of 'what is best'?
Everyone has a list of favorites... Favorite movies, favorite vacation spots, favorite ways of killing a man -scrap that-. The point is, there is always going to be a personal best. As for military shooters, Spec Ops is that game for me.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
4RM3D said:
Twilight_guy said:
Everyone has a list of favorites... Favorite movies, favorite vacation spots, favorite ways of killing a man -scrap that-. The point is, there is always going to be a personal best. As for military shooters, Spec Ops is that game for me.
Correction, for most people that will be true. I don't keep a list like that since I consider it be far too narrow minded, making art into a list of quality as opposed to more holistic web of quality. It still bugs me that people need to label things as the best though. This requires further research into psychology! AWAY!