Special Effects Pros Builds Super-Detailed Portal 2 Robot Model

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Special Effects Pros Builds Super-Detailed Portal 2 Robot Model

He may not be quite as mobile as his in-game counterpart, but this Atlas replica looks ready for testing.

One of the sad facts of our world is that not enough things from the Portal games are real. Obviously, there are a few things we can do without, like the murderous AIs with nerve gas fetishes, but there are plenty of other things, like the adorable co-op robots Atlas and P-Body, that would make the world a brighter place.

[gallery=269]

Sadly, this incredibly detailed model is about as close as we're going to get to a real Atlas, at least for the foreseeable future. The model is the work of the special effects studio Technically Magic, which has also made props and costumes for a number of projects, like the Minotaur costume for the video for RJD2's song "Let There Be Horns," or the space suit seen in the video for Owl City's song "Alligator Sky."

As you can see from the pictures, the work that Technically Magic has done is absolutely stunning. Presumably, it's a piece that Technically Magic has been commissioned to make, although it wouldn't be the first time that someone had made something amazing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88844-Note-Replica-Portal-Gun-A-Huge-Success ] just out of sheer love for Portal. You can see more of Technically Magic's work on its official site [http://www.techmagicdesign.com/].

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/01/real-life-atlas-bot-from-portal-2.aspx]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Now make a P-body robot...get them to work and dance together, this instant!

OT:...Looks awesome :D

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
standokan said:
Portal gun better be next.
These are the same guys that have already made a portal gun.

OT: Needs a P-body. And they need to be displayed in Valve HQ. It's the best place I can think off for them.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
That looks freakin' sweet! I want one...or two... or 7. Then I could have them do things for me. Sometimes in the name of science, sometimes just because I don't feel like doing them.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
This made me sad :(
Awesome as usual, what's with these people making awesome Portal stuff and not giving them to me?? I wanna have a talk with them >.<

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
That's a nice Atlas you have there.
Would be a sssshame if something happened to it...

Seriously though, that's awesome. Want.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Dear God...It's...Beautifull...

OT: Holy shit! That it looks so real and awesome. I want one...

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
Amazing, I wish i had more free time from work to do this kind of stuff.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Bigsmith said:
standokan said:
Portal gun better be next.
These are the same guys that have already made a portal gun.

OT: Needs a P-body. And they need to be displayed in Valve HQ. It's the best place I can think off for them.
A working Portal Gun?

and if yes, Glados should be next

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
EternalFacepalm said:

Don't you mean "dat sum niec atlas you got there"
"be a shame i something happen to it"
"ci"

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
PoisonUnagi said:
EternalFacepalm said:

Don't you mean "dat sum niec atlas you got there"
"be a shame i something happen to it"
"ci"
No, should I?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's only a matter of time before they can construct and deconstruct it within seconds!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I for see in the near future that Valve, when it releases Content Patches for Co-Op, will have blue prints that look exactly like this fake Atlas, and basically make it an In Universe Early model for him.

OT: Nice... Wish it was more then a model though... I wish it was more like a toy thing. Oh well, nice anyways.